Facebook alternative?

Cloakedwand72

55 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Yes, it's called real life... put the phone down, turn the computer off, and get out there and play.

+1!

put the phone down

Spoiler

latest?cb=20130205012543

get out there,

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

and enjoy

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

I like to think that FB is intrinsically evil ;-;

Okay well maybe not 'evil' but I do have a dislike for it. And for Instagram. Twitter's okay (although I don't have it) but I think it's somewhat limited in what you can do.

I personally think Reddit is great. At least, certain parts of it.....

I know google has a facebook alternative thing (though I hear no one's on it). 

There's also the Diaspora project which (as I understand it) lets you feed in from and cross post to all the typical services (facebook, twitter, wordpress, etc), but your actual data is stored in a country of your choosing without needing to sign over your rights to it. I have no idea how it works, but I don't believe it has any delay for use. Best of luck finding a home for your posts and photos!

I'm also in the luddite camp. I'm surprised it seems to be so common on a web forum!

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Me too... :D God knows I spend more time here than on Fartbook.

I haven't posted on Facebook in over a year. I think I posted maybe two or three times in the year before that. Just as I'm getting to the point where I say, "This is pointless, I'm just going to delete my account," someone gets in touch with me via IM or something else happens that makes me think, "Oh, okay, fine, I'll keep the dumb Facebook account."

On 8/23/2018 at 9:38 AM, TheSaint said:

Just as I'm getting to the point where I say, "This is pointless, I'm just going to delete my account," someone gets in touch with me via IM or something else happens that makes me think, "Oh, okay, fine, I'll keep the dumb Facebook account."

Ditto. I probably haven't visited the website in years, but I l;eave the account up in case someone messages me.
IM is pretty much the only feature of faceborg I ever use, so I just add the account in pidgin. I get OTR encryption this way too. :)

On 8/23/2018 at 8:50 AM, Cunjo Carl said:

There's also the Diaspora project

I'm watching that closely, it sounds pretty neat.

On 8/23/2018 at 3:50 AM, Cunjo Carl said:

google has a facebook alternative

Google+ ?

Used to be on it, but it's not as interesting as those that have RL obligation (just chats) or straight up forums (or Discord lately). But yeah.

Not sure why do I have facebook still, but many people I know still "relies" on it, so it's less compelling than my twitter account to delete (of which I did delete my twitter account).

On 8/20/2018 at 6:01 AM, Earthlinger said:

I like to think that FB is intrinsically evil ;-;

Okay well maybe not 'evil' but I do have a dislike for it.

Nope, you had it right the first time.

I let my wife stay logged into FB on my PC, so I see her Messenger incoming popups while she's using her iPhone/iPad :ph34r:. Incidentally, I met her on Yahoo Chat, way back before it got taken over by bots.

I post on FB maybe twice a year. Occasionally I may look if a friend posted something interesting. My boss posts some good recipes sometimes.

And like others here, this forum IS my social media

On 8/19/2018 at 2:20 PM, LordFerret said:

Yes, it's called real life... put the phone down, turn the computer off, and get out there and play.

If you are willing to pay one dollar on the DLC it comes with a ball.

When i bought the 'ball' DLC i was somewhat disappointed, but really you would be surprised with the amount of things you can do with this item.

You can play an infinite amount of games...

300px-Football_iu_1996.jpg

cole-mcdonald-hawaii.jpg

active-kids-playing-ball-at-summer-camp-

You can explore the ball itself...

thumbFetcher.php?size=full&id=91

moon.png

main-qimg-d1e653152f64698e31571926cda2ca

Or use the ball to teach...

So yeah. My alternative to Facebook is to get a ball.

Edited by NSEP

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

So yeah. My alternative to Facebook is to get a ball.

Well my other suggestion is, to laugh. Laugh at everything. From birth to death and everything in-between, appropriate or inappropriate, laugh at everything. Because life is funny. So get out and play, have fun, and laugh a lot... and you'll live a long, long good life.

29 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Well my other suggestion is, to laugh. Laugh at everything. From birth to death and everything in-between, appropriate or inappropriate, laugh at everything. Because life is funny. So get out and play, have fun, and laugh a lot... and you'll live a long, long good life.

This is great advice.

I'd like to add my own two cents into the conversation. Take one day a week (my day is Sunday) and don't pick up any electronic devices. No phone, no computer, and no television. I've been doing this now for about three months, rarely doing anything on line unless I absolutely have to. But I now look forward to my Sunday afternoon nap, the Sunday morning 5-mile hike in a state or national park, and just being away from the constant bombardment of data. It gives me time to think, to rest, and to simply enjoy life.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:53 PM, Cloakedwand72 said:

Any alternatives to Facebook with out that draconian temporary block nonsense with just the cool Messenger & the photo & sharing  feature? 

www.mewe.com

Edited by adsii1970

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.