Refueling after transfer burn?

Hi, guys

I'm trying to go to Dres right now on an Apollo style mission with a lander and an unmanned tanker/transfer stage which will be in orbit. I have mining modules on the lander too. After going to Duna and sending a rover to Eve. I've unlocked enough parts to do this but my only problem is fuel. The first stage and second stage is fine but my interplanetary transfer stage/tanker is the problem. I'm also using a Rhino engine for the transfer (nuclear engines are too weak). After completing the transfer burn, i don't have enough fuel for the plane change and capture burn. I even took out a lot of Lf+Ox of the lander fuel tank since it doesn't need that much fuel to land on Dres. Is there any way or any mods that will help me to do this?  Thanks!

If switching from the Rhino to a Poodle, Wolfhound, or Terrier doesn't work, you have to either:

A) Make your lander+transfer stage lighter. You mentioned emptying tanks, so consider replacing partially empty tanks with a mix of smaller, full tanks. There's no advantage in KSP to using larger tanks except for part count and wobbliness. Have you removed any extra ablator? Heat shields that are full of ablator can survive dropping all the way from Jool or beyond. Is your lander two stage? You might be able to shave some weight off by making it two stage. And is your Dres ascent TWR high enough? Unlike Kerbin, 1.2-1.5 TWR is too weak to be efficient on airless worlds.

B) Add fuel to your transfer stage. It probably still won't be TWR-limited if you've got a average sized lander. This will mean that you will have to add fuel (and possibly engines) to every stage below it.

I like Rhino transfer stages. I’ve also come to like transfer stages with 3-4 Wolfhounds. 

Let’s see, you don’t have enough propellants, and you’re doing the transfer burn with partially empty tanks. You should go the other way and cram every tank you have with LFO, then transfer it from the lander to the transfer stage when you need it for Dres orbit insertion. . 

If that’s not enough, add more tanks! If the stack is getting to heavy to make orbit, then launch with some empty tanks and refuel them in orbit. And since you’re refuelling in orbit, don’t be afraid to use the transfer stage to circularize your Kerbin orbit; less space debris that way. 

All my interplanetary launches lately need a tanker visit before leaving Kerbin. Later, half-empty tankers dock together and consolidate propellants before de-orbiting the empty. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.