[1.4.x] - KerBalloons v0.4.4 - Real Science?

Fengist

• 4 weeks later...

can the data logger be made a bit more extensible? As in you can identify to it any science readout somehow? For one example I would like to have the Kerbalism radiation detector logged, although I can do that all with kOS if I really need to. Might be useful for others who don't program tho.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

@mxi_steel, We usually frown on repeated bumps to a thread in order to demand a reply from people.  When somebody comes along who has knowledge of the workings of this mod, they will be more than happy to help out.  In the mean time, you can do them, and yourself, a huge favor by answering all their preliminary questions.

• What is it supposed to be doing?
  • What is it actually doing?
  • What did you do before this started happening?
  • What can you do to reproduce it?
  • Do you have associated log files?
  • Do you have pictures, if needed?

Give this stickied thread a read, that will help guide you through the process:

Also, if you read the contents of a Mod's Release thread, you might encounter a fellow forum member who has had similar issues as you, and you might be able to figure out a fix from their troubles. 

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

On 1/11/2019 at 12:40 AM, redivh said:

Does this work with 1.6.1?

Currently testing it in 1.6.1 with tons of mods (including unofficial FAR build and GPP). Game didn't crash yet, they inflate, deflate, produce lift, they fly somewhere slowly. I didn't try this mod before today, maybe something is missing, but for me it looks working perfectly.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

@Fengist since you are more familiar with this mod than I am & have the blessing of the original creator, would you be willing to make the following change to enable compatibility with Principia?  KerBalloon is an awesome mod & having it work in the Principia TRAPPIST1 system (as well as in RSS & Kerbin systems with Principia) would be excellent!  Please let me know either way. Thanks!

31 minutes ago, eggrobin said:

@AloE Kerballoons is using Rigidbody.AddForceAtPosition instead of Part.AddForceAtPosition, which means that Principia cannot learn about those forces, and therefore cannot make them affect the trajectory; this is the same issue that we found in FireSpitter earlier:

In order to be compatible with Principia, a mod that imparts a net force to the vessel must do so with Part.AddForceAtPosition (or Part.AddForce) instead of Rigidbody.AddForceAtPosition (or Rigidbody.AddForce); the force can then be handled by the game (and any mods) instead of being passed directly to Unity.

This should be a pretty simple change: all usages of AddForceAtPosition are actually on the RigidBody of a part (part.RigidBody.AddForceAtPosition), so dropping the .RigidBody would do the trick.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:09 PM, AloE said:

This should be a pretty simple change: all usages of AddForceAtPosition are actually on the RigidBody of a part (part.RigidBody.AddForceAtPosition), so dropping the .RigidBody would do the trick.

[EDIT: the recommended change (see for example pull request for v0.4.3)  does make KerBalloons version 0.4.3 & 0.4.4 work with Principia, however the cool data recorder, sundial, cross staff were added in 0.4.4 so that code is not currently available via GitHub which currently has only version 0.4.3)]

this.part.Rigidbody.AddForceAtPosition(vessel.upAxis *

becomes...

this.part.AddForceAtPosition(vessel.upAxis *

t9aJ72i.png

Edited by AloE

They also float with FARc on Kerbin & on SLIPPIST1-echo :-)

Kerbin KerBalloons FARc KerbalEDU 1.4.5
XpNXCnp.png JwmAM4r.png F69OKCu.png

iUrg38P.png

Nanosat Launched into Orbit via Rockoon

Ly81V0d.jpg

& the following would be amazing!

On 9/7/2018 at 11:28 AM, Fengist said:
On 9/7/2018 at 2:35 AM, Isentrope said:

I'll wrap this up here for now.    I am also willing to contribute to coding of this mod if i can be if help, as I'd like to see these effects, and others not mentioned yet, eventually modelled in the KSP balloons.  (I suspect that having an envelope visually collapse like a real ZP may not be possible in this game engine though) 

So, from the contents of the spoiler you may have gathered that I have much of the code to accomplish what you describe and I believe it to be reasonably accurate.  Eventually moving this to KerBalloons will take a bit of effort.  The goal will be to mostly keep the same part design and functionality while replacing the lifting mechanism with the code I have now. That will be fun.

The Unity engine itself has gobs of capabilities, from simulating weather and waves to cloth blowing in the breeze.  The question is, whether KSP employs those capabilities and how taxing it would be on the engine to try to overlay those features on top of the KSP code...<snip>. the closed alpha testing I'll be conducting for the airships (something I normally do very quietly for contributors).  That way, I have at least one expert on the subject to double check my work.  As such, you'll have full access to the code to make any changes, suggestions or corrections you see fit to keep the physics real.  Once the airship mod is up and out the door, then I'll be focusing on getting KerBalloons using the same code.

Edited by AloE

• 10 months later...

I've updated this mod to work with the latest KSP x64 build (v.1.10), as well as integrated it to be available in CKAN for all KSP v.1.8+ versions, but I would like to ask the current repository owner if it's alright if I submit a pull request.  Or perhaps even take over development -- I have a lot of ideas for this mod....

Here's the issue ticket I made for it, which contains what my goal was, the work I did to make it compatible, and some screenshots and whatnot showing that it works.

I suppose I have two questions for this forum:

1. Any way to get in touch with the current owner?
  2. Any interest in seeing this continue to be maintained, with new features added?

Thanks, all!

10 hours ago, Comike14 said:

I've updated this mod to work with the latest KSP x64 build (v.1.10), as well as integrated it to be available in CKAN for all KSP v.1.8+ versions, but I would like to ask the current repository owner if it's alright if I submit a pull request.  Or perhaps even take over development -- I have a lot of ideas for this mod....

Here's the issue ticket I made for it, which contains what my goal was, the work I did to make it compatible, and some screenshots and whatnot showing that it works.

I suppose I have two questions for this forum:

1. Any way to get in touch with the current owner?
  2. Any interest in seeing this continue to be maintained, with new features added?

Thanks, all!

Well, the license is MIT, so Fengist has implicitly given permission for anyone to do basically whatever, as long as the license remains MIT. And I think it's great to see this mod come back. Thanks!

@Comike14 Kewl!

Even tho it *is* MIT licensed, I would try PMing @Fengist thru the forums to discuss this with him. Even with a completely open license, you *can* legally just takeover the mod... HOWEVER, IMHO, its just common courtesy, good ethics, and good for the community if you do everything you can to contact the mod author directly, and discuss, before officially taking over/re-releasing a mod.
If no contact, or even if there IS contact, then you'll know better what path to take for releasing your own version of the mod. But thats just IMHO.. others will disagree, and just say "Do it..." vOv

IMHO, posting a link to an "un-official" update, or PR, is totally acceptable... as you arent cutting out the original dev, and/or creating community chaos/drama over the mod.

Also, in the future, if you want to get someone's attention in the forums, try tagging them, as I did above with Fengist's user name... he should get notification that I did that, and of this post. ;)

And Welcome to the forums :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Krymson Skorpyon said:

For those of us (like me) who aren't modders, can you provide instructions on how to adopt the mod without the normal ZIP file download?  Pretty please?

For this and most mods, the source code is on Github.  The steps I followed are:

1. I first forked the repo so I had my own copy under my account on Github.
  2. I then cloned the repo (made a copy) on my local system.
  3. I edited the project files, updating them to use an environment variable which points to my development install.
  4. Then I opened up the project in Visual Studio.
  5. I updated the .Net version to 4.7.2
  6. I removed some system-specific settings (specific to the previous maintainer’s computer)
  7. I was then able to do a clean compile.
  8. Now, this was the 4.3 version.  
  9. I downloaded the 4.4 version from Curseforge.
  10. I copied the parts files to my dev directory.
  11. Now comes the magic: I was able to decompile to code which was in the dll for the 4.4 version, and copied over the 4.4 specific changes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.