[1.7.0] Pangolin Mechanics Toolkit 1.0.2 (2019-05-12)

Katten

Pangolin Mechanic's Toolkit!

PangolinSmall.jpg?raw=true

• Ever wish you could stop your cargo from going through a cargo bay during high g forces?
  • Ever been annoyed robotics arms can go through parts of your vessel?
  • Would you like cargo bay doors stopping when hitting something instead of going through it?
  • Are you creating odd contraptions where you want more control of the physics of the vessel, like engines, gears, etc? 

In that case, PMK might be for you! 

It adds 3 functions to parts, available from the right click menu. They all start in inactive mode. 

All settings in this mod are visible only when you have activated the stock setting "Advanced tweakable" in the settings menu!

Intra vessel collisions

You can now activate collisions for parts against other parts in the same vessels! 

There are 3 different settings:

• None - as stock
  • Only active - collide against other parts that have mode "Only active" or "All parts"
  • All parts - collide against all other parts of the vessel

Issues:

• Notice that no parts will collide with the directly connected parts, in other words direct parent or children. This seems to be enforced in a deeper layer of Unity or KSP and I haven't found a way to solve it. It is good for performance and makes sense in most situations, so not a huge problem.

Animation stopper

This small function will stop a generic animation if any of the doors hit another collider. This applies both to other vessels, and other parts inside the same vessel - if you have enabled intra vessel collisions =)

Issues:

• I haven't figured out a perfect way to stop the animation without messing with the deploy limit. So currently, when it stops, it will set the deploy limit to that specific angle. Without doing this, the open/close buttons don't work as expected.
  • Some stock parts still behave wonky in regards to the open/close buttons. I think it has to do with reversed animations. Should be fixable.

Joint unlocker

Now you can unlock stock joints! For example, create a hinge from stock parts! Create a rotator for a helicopter style craft. Or why not a piston for some kind of complicated gear?

Issues:

• Currently, there seems to be some gimbal lock issue when rotating around the angular x axis (roll, like a rotatron). It kinda goes 90 degrees, then starts vibrating, risking a kraken situation.
  • The Y and Z axis are sharing some settings in Unity, so it is currently not possible to unlock them separately. This should be fixable tho.

Compatibility

This mod has been tested for compatibility with
Animated Attachment

License

Released under CCA-NC-SA 4.0

Change log

Spoiler

v1.0.1:
* Added compatibility with AnimatedAttachment

v1.0.2
* Compiled for 1.7.0

Download

Download from CKAN or from github.

Edited by Katten

• 2 weeks later...

First!! Woo!

I really like this idea. Would it be possible to add a slider of some sort for cargobays? ( like make it stop at a certain point rather than stopping once it hits a collider?) figure it would be an editor thing more than in flight. But either way...this looks legit!

11 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

First!! Woo!

I really like this idea. Would it be possible to add a slider of some sort for cargobays? ( like make it stop at a certain point rather than stopping once it hits a collider?) figure it would be an editor thing more than in flight. But either way...this looks legit!

Do you mean the same type of deploy limit that is visible for most animated parts? In that case, yes, that should be a simple matter of applying an MM patch. If it works without adverse effects, it seems like a reasonable thing to include in this mod =)

Edit: tested, and it is possible to show the deploy limit. But, when clicking Open, the animation goes directly to the fully open position instead of doing the animation. It seems the stock animation logic has some issue =S

Edited by Katten

17 hours ago, Katten said:

Do you mean the same type of deploy limit that is visible for most animated parts? In that case, yes, that should be a simple matter of applying an MM patch. If it works without adverse effects, it seems like a reasonable thing to include in this mod =)

Edit: tested, and it is possible to show the deploy limit. But, when clicking Open, the animation goes directly to the fully open position instead of doing the animation. It seems the stock animation logic has some issue =S

yes, exactly. unfortunately I don't see it in quite a few mods(b9, and opt for example)

"clicking open" goes to full animation. is this in editor or in flight? I just opened ksp and grabbed a mk3 cargo bay and the slider works in the editor. but i feel in flight is a different ball o wax in regards to this. I have very little experience in animations and modeling so its hard for me to help troubleshoot these things at the moment.

Edited by Jesusthebird

• 8 months later...

Sorry to bother you @Katten, but is there any chance of this mod getting an update/recompile? It would solve an issue I've had for a long while, namely the impossibility of properly berthing a spacecraft in KSP. Of course I realize it might not be possible, and that it's been quite a while since you've updated it, so I fully understand if the answer is no.

Edited by RocketSquid

On 5/9/2019 at 4:54 AM, RocketSquid said:

Sorry to bother you @Katten, but is there any chance of this mod getting an update/recompile? It would solve an issue I've had for a long while, namely the impossibility of properly berthing a spacecraft in KSP. Of course I realize it might not be possible, and that it's been quite a while since you've updated it, so I fully understand if the answer is no.

Of course! I didn't have time to test it yet, but at least compiled and updated version info.

v1.0.2
* Compiled for 1.7.0

Here is an example of what this can do:

Edited by Katten

10 hours ago, Katten said:

Of course! I didn't have time to test it yet, but at least compiled and updated version info.

v1.0.2
* Compiled for 1.7.0

Here is an example of what this can do:

It's beautiful, can't wait to use it. Does it work with docking ports and the Klaw?

17 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

It's beautiful, can't wait to use it. Does it work with docking ports and the Klaw?

Only one way to find out =) 
This mod is very experimental and untested... 

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, Craze said:

Good idea, but... after installation, the game hangs for 5-7 minutes when approaching, docking or undocking. There was no such thing without mod.

It would help if you provided Log file, as well as details.  For example, what version of KSP, what OS, etc.

9 minutes ago, Craze said:

KSP 1.7.0 x64 and  Windows 10 X64.

Now I will try to find a log file.

Please tell me what kind of file you need.

Hmm.  You should really upgrade to 1.7.3, at least.  See below for info on log files

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.