So i was thinking about adding countries. Before i continue, don't worry, im not suggesting turning ksp into a war simulator. Anyways, what i was thinking is maybe if you land in a different country, you'll have to pay a recovery fee. Some countries more strict than others, and others not requiring a recovery fee. Also contracts from other countries would give more money. Let me know what you think about this.

1 hour ago, KerbalChamp2006 said:

So i was thinking about adding countries. Before i continue, don't worry, im not suggesting turning ksp into a war simulator. Anyways, what i was thinking is maybe if you land in a different country, you'll have to pay a recovery fee. Some countries more strict than others, and others not requiring a recovery fee. Also contracts from other countries would give more money. Let me know what you think about this.

1 minute ago, HansonKerman said:

Just use the globe of Kerbin, and approximate countries, and deduct the appropriate Funds.

It's already been done, sorta...

You can find it here: https://www.nationstates.net/

24 minutes ago, HansonKerman said:

:/ How does that help?

35 minutes ago, KerbalChamp2006 said:

How does that websit help just asking

If you're wanting to play KSP as a nation-state, there's a group on there that already does it. Oh, and what's really cool is it lets you set nation policies, etc.

For the most part, the existing system of simply varying recovery costs/refunds by distance to KSC works quite nicely, and I don't feel there is the need to further complicate gameplay by introducing geopolitical wrangling.

Although I've been keen on countries and cities in the past, the developers never implemented them into the game primarily because at the end of the day, this is a game about space exploration and running a space agency, and the focus is on get off Kerbin to exploring other planets and interstellar phenomena.

Furthermore, leaving the rest of Kerbin unpopulated allows players to come up with their own personal headcanons on Kerbal society, to suit their personal playstyle or scenario - for example, many YouTubers imagine private military corporations duking it out, some players imagine rival countries with their own space agencies, and still others (like myself) imagine a unified Kerbal civilization dedicated to purely peaceful collaboration and exploration. Having countries explicitly implemented in game would detract from the sandbox nature of the game.

For those who say "but make it optional, like a tickbox to decide whether or not to generate countries or something!", bear in mind that developer time and resources are limited between updates, and diverting efforts to work on countries in-game (optional or not) means less time and resources available to work on features more relevant to the actual space exploration part of the game.

I'm neutral EXCEPT for the contracts from other countries, this seems pretty simple. At the end game after landing on other planets if you had contracts for being a launch provider like SpaceX. For example a contract could say

Launch SubAssembaly Sat1 (Just a satellite in the contract) to a geosynchronous orbit. That would be cool

Reward $100,000 funds

6 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I'm neutral EXCEPT for the contracts from other countries, this seems pretty simple. At the end game after landing on other planets if you had contracts for being a launch provider like SpaceX. For example a contract could say

Launch SubAssembaly Sat1 (Just a satellite in the contract) to a geosynchronous orbit. That would be cool

Reward $100,000 funds

Hum thats your everyday satellite contract exept that you not make the satellite only the launcher

Now that i remember kerbal konstruct had a fee for if you recover something near another launchsite

9 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Foreign contracts would have more reward

This could be very easily implemented right now by simply making a custom agency representing a "country", and defining contracts from that agency to offer very large fund rewards.

The game already has everything required to make such contracts (see the stock Agency and Contract CFGs in the SQUAD folder), so I think someone can quickly make this as a mod rather than diverting developer time and resources on other, more interesting game features.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.