Choose Graphics Card

Hi there,

On my PC I have a GTX 670 and a GTX 1080.  Obviously I want KSP to use the 1080 but I seem to be unable to make it use this graphics card, it always uses the 670.

I've tried to force it with Nvidia settings and with the Windows settings, but it's not working. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

On 8/22/2018 at 3:39 AM, Doyley said:

Hi there,

On my PC I have a GTX 670 and a GTX 1080.  Obviously I want KSP to use the 1080 but I seem to be unable to make it use this graphics card, it always uses the 670.

I've tried to force it with Nvidia settings and with the Windows settings, but it's not working. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks

As an absolute idiot, remove the 670 graphics card.

From your computer.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:39 PM, Doyley said:

Hi there,

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Swap the two boards,  the motherboard is selecting the 670 as primary

Yeah you may have to think along the lines of removing the card physically from your system or disabling it entirely...

Maybe you can disable the card in your device manager settings....if you don't want to take your computer apart....

Depending on your BIOS settings it could be possible to disable it too....

My current motherboard BIOS sucks though....I'm actually pretty disappointed with it. Back in the day I had an awesome 250 dollar ASUS motherboard where I could tweak just about every little thing on the motherboard....the FSB, the voltage and latency timings of my RAM, disable slots. My current mobo basically lets me change the boot order and that's about it....

Thanks guys, guess I'll have to suck it up and make BIOS/Hardware changes.  I was hoping to avoid that.  Some games let you select the graphics card in the settings.  Eve Online for example lets you do this.  The only reason I still have the old graphics card in is because I use 3 monitors and they use DVI/VGA and the 1080 only has one DVI slot and the rest HDMI (if memory serves) so it was a lazy way for me to plug them all in.

@Doyley - You can also check your Bios settings to confirm that PCIe slot 1 is chosen as primary

With your 1080 in PCIe slot 1 (may be listed as 0 on your board) and in NCP selecting a monitor on that card to be your primary display, all games running on a single screen should default to that card and monitor.

However, failing this you may just be pooched since afaik the green team has no control toggle that will allow you to force which card gets used as the primary

Well if you have a crappy BIOS like the one in my ASUS ROG ( you would think it would be more useful) then try disabling the older NVIDIA card via Windows device manager...

In the device manager it lists every piece of hardware on the computer.

This guide should roughly point you in the right direction even if you are using Windows 10. The steps may not be exactly the same, but they should be similar....

If you disable the old card, just make sure the remaining one is selected via the NVIDIA control panel as your primary card for your display/monitor FIRST....so that you don't suddenly have a blank screen....lol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/laptop/how-disable-graphics-in-laptop-without-screen-3596522/%3famp

You'll want the last bit at the bottom of the article...

Edited by JoE Smash

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.