Micro-challenges for all! (Continuation of Newbie Central.)

Here is my attempt to this challenge :)

This plane is quite unusual as it's made of multiple semi-independent modules (those who followed my threads might know that I can't design anything without docks :D )

Front modules left and right : 2 Goliath with liquid fuel, wings, landing gear and dock

Middle module : 2 cargo bay containing 1 large ore tank, powered by 2 Junos and beautifull StayPutniks

Aft module : Control surfaces and landing legs to level with the engines

Plane + assembly :

q3vozb.jpg

Spoiler

Payload :

dyinlc.jpg

Plane on the runway :

4r6pji.jpg

1st docking :

jjwrvn.jpg

2nd docking :

nkjqxu.jpg

Flight :

Top speed is only 155 m/s due to bad harmonics :

i4st8i.jpg

Spoiler

The craft barely take-off around 85m/s, the aft landing gear was a bit too far from CoM :

1irl6k.jpg

Landing, quite easy with that much lift !

ea2a9k.jpg

Deployement and return to base:

1st payload is placed near the runway, the other one next to a hangar :

ll8f0t.jpg

Spoiler

1st payload undocked :

opt68r.jpg

Redocking 2nd engine :

28jm4w.jpg

Top speed is a lot better on the return trip :

h49fqi.jpg

Ready for next assignement :

xnho7q.jpg

This was quite fun to do, can't wait for the next challenge :)

Edited by Kerbolitto

Well, here's my retry. For some reason my craft keeps exploding when I undock the rear payload... So after about 20 odd attempts I just decided to put up with it and resque the cargo:

return trip was optional, right?

3 minutes ago, Kerbolitto said:

Yeah, looks like you're colonizing the island anyway :D

That's my final setup for the Duna mission. I've tested it on Duna already and found it can indefinitely support 6 kerbals, which is a good start of my mission!

Going for the more conventional looking option.  Payload is 30.098 tons, consisting of mostly liquid fuel, some ore, and a very small amount of rocket fuel.  Problems encountered were due to physics glitches when separating the payload from the transporter at the island.  The glitching caused the payload to jump on detaching, which popped all the tyres.  Fortunately Bill was on hand to put his engineering skills to use to repair them, and we were able to successfully offload the cargo.

Starting shot, showing an empty cargo hold and the payload off to the side of the runway.

pay1.jpg

Payload safely stowed

pay2.jpg

And we're off

pay3.jpg

Safe arrival at the island

pay4.jpg

Payload delivered

pay5.jpg

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

Well, there is a separate challenge for a grand tour, what would be the difference?

It's just for the Kerbin System(Mun, Minmus, and Kerbin), not the Kerbol system.

20 minutes ago, Pascovian said:

well, i thought proposal ideas were over but aside that...

i'm actually staying for the kerbin system grand tour

Just to be clear, the idea suggestion phase is never over, you can continue to suggest challenges. It's not we pick one and all the others are discarded thing, nor is it like that every week. All the challenges that are suggested, that we like, will get done at some point. Of course, if one of our team members has an idea that we really like, we'll do that! The suggestions were never going to be used for this challenge anyway, we were hoping to have it up when the thread was posted, but there were some delays. This is just to say that we already knew what the challenge was going to be before people started suggesting ideas. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Suggestion for a challenge.  Put a probe satellite in to a polar orbit around Mun.  The satellite should include a surface scanner, so orbital parameters will depend on scanner chosen to meet the optimal requirements of the scanner.  This could then lead on to another challenge to land a manned mission within 2km of any of the scanned anomalies, or even to build a small base close to one of the anomalies for scientific study.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

Suggestion for a challenge.  Put a probe satellite in to a polar orbit around Mun.  The satellite should include a surface scanner, so orbital parameters will depend on scanner chosen to meet the optimal requirements of the scanner.  This could then lead on to another challenge to land a manned mission within 2km of any of the scanned anomalies, or even to build a small base close to one of the anomalies for scientific study.

59 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Good idea!

I agree.

22 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Actually, this would be a nice challenge:

Rescue a Kerbal, floating in space, with no EVA fuel left^^

Might be interesting.

Well, I did it a bit the other way around...

First, I didn't really bothered with using an actual proper aircraft

ee883cdd295d.png

Yup, it's my HRO (Heavy Recovery Orbiter)
Also such shuttle is not that great at taking off just on jets

45d8deec06cd.png

But we get there

11c5dc6e14a6.png

Deploy everything!

8a1251ebf4ff.png

And then the drogue chutes

d484be9ad31d.png

Right, the ship capable of doing this on Duna really doesn't need much landing strip...

93fb3eeefe65.png

Now the payload... it was waiting here.

6f886ff8b3be.png

And it turned out to have trouble getting in there - wheels just kept popping on the ramp, so we had to use some runway for gaining the speed to get in there.

cef5b4d16a4e.png

Sorry, somehow missed screenshot with the payload just loaded. Anyway, after a bunch of tries and rather annoyed with repairing wheels Bill, it got in there

But can we get enough speed here for...

e044817260fb.png

c743848313d2.png

That's why we took some rocket fuel! What? I already said it's not a cargo plane, but an interplanetary shuttle.

Oh, and jets do much better job if get to 200 m/s first

aa24c9d18332.png

a18f70703d31.png

Well, this is with proper payload, so let's not do tricks.

7600b07c8987.png

Just the normal airliner-style landing

4aeb8cf1418d.png

And proceed with deploying the payload

51441fa95f01.png

Wheels popping, payload getting stuck, had to raise the nose to get it out. Also turned out brakes were on, even with the indicator off

86388567df70.png

And the mass is... Wait what? The request was 30 tons? Right, 40 tons was nominal landing payload in the HRO specifications.

a3f340518e17.png

HRO delivery services: now with 40% more payload than asked for!

4f6b9344717d.png

Edited by Alchemist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.