Micro-challenges for all! (Continuation of Newbie Central.)

7 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Is there still time for this challenge?

2 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

@SiriusRocketry There is still a time limit:

Yes. As @4x4cheesecake pointed out, each challenge, unless something goes wrong, has a time limit of one week.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:36 AM, Pascovian said:

hmm... i'm actually thinking for an relay challenge this time

Reveal hidden contents

but the Kerbin System grand tour proposal is the one i'm doing next week

Are you suggesting a relay challenge?

1 hour ago, Pascovian said:

ok...

i actually have a proposal now, it's up to you if i can say it

Reveal hidden contents

(i'm going to propose the Kerbin system grand tour next week)

I think you're asking if you can suggest the idea. Why couldn't you? Also, there is no need to suggest an idea multiple times. To be clear: 

You are not suggesting an idea for just one week. You are suggesting an idea to be used at any point we deem it the time to use the idea. Ideas are not thrown out after one week. You do not have to suggest anything multiple times.

3 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

I was hoping to squeak in under the deadline, but I couldn't get my plane to handle well enough for a safe landing. It was basically a brick with some big engines on it. Oh well.

Can we get some screenshots? Curious if it's possible to get it working.

Challenge Suggestion:
Build a rover that can ramp over the Administration Building without using propellant and survive the landing.

Platinum Standard: Sail over the helipad and never touch down until reaching the parking lot.
Gold Standard: Clear the building without touching it.
Silver Standard: Land on the helipad first, act like you meant to like :cool: ...then jump down again.
Bronze Standard: Land anywhere on the building and safely jump down.

(No standards granted unless all parts remain from launch to landing.)

4 HOURS POST: So, I tried this myself for a few hours, with a few rovers. I managed to pull off every medal standard, save Platinum. I'm not sure if it's possible, but the rest are definitely possible.

Edited by Dark Lion

3 hours ago, Pascovian said:

get a relay network around Kerbin

By-the-numbers or just anywhere? Technically, you could do this with just a few drone-sats loaded with relay dishes... :ph34r:
I like the idea of schooling gravity, so I think a by-the-numbers challenge would be more appropriately challenging. Suggesting something like 4 relays per Kerbin bodies (Kerbin, Mun, Minmus,) for a total of no more than 12 for total radio coverage. Maybe only one particular relay could be used or something too, IDK.

6 minutes ago, Dark Lion said:

By-the-numbers or just anywhere? Technically, you could do this with just a few drone-sats loaded with relay dishes... :ph34r:
I like the idea of schooling gravity, so I think a by-the-numbers challenge would be more appropriately challenging. Suggesting something like 4 relays per Kerbin bodies (Kerbin, Mun, Minmus,) for a total of no more than 12 for total radio coverage. Maybe only one particular relay could be used or something too, IDK.

at least 4 Relay Sattelites and they should be in different Kerbin orbits

Ninja'd Boi

2 hours ago, Pascovian said:

at least 4 Relay Sattelites and they should be in different Kerbin orbits

Why different? Three or more satellites evenly spaced along the same (more or less circular) orbit make a perfectly good relay network.

Here's a couple pics:

Spoiler

Basically I made a box and put some giant wings and engines on it to overcome the massive drag. I tried a Mk3 cargo bay first, but it wasn't wide enough to fit the truck I made (below). I didn't want to redesign the truck, and using Tweakscale on the cargo bay made it very heavy. So instead I build a bay out of structural panels. I was gonna put a ramp on the back, but in the interest of time (and laziness) decided to just leave it open. This thing flies well enough, but it doesn't maneuver well at low speeds and tends to crash on landing. Last time I flew it I sheared one of the wings off. Mods are Tweakscale, Near Future Aeronautics, Aircraft Plus, and KAX.

VgvPXis.jpg

This is the ore truck I was talking about. Looks cool, and can drive up and down the slope on the side of the runway. The klaw is to dock with whatever, including hanging on inside the cargo plane. There are fuel cells and LF/O tanks in the service bay for use at night.

j08ceI6.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.