Micro-challenges for all! (Continuation of Newbie Central.)

10 hours ago, AeroGav said:

BTW, let's not antagonize @kerbalstar any further and keep discussion about potential challenges to the discord channel :-)

Thanks! :) :-). But seriously, I’m not antagonized, I just don’t want people to get confused. That hasn’t happened again, so you’re fine to talk about your suggestion! I like discussion and 

Spoiler

we have picked your challenge to be this weeks challenge! We’re not normally supposed to share the challenge before, but since so many people have been talking about it, I figured I would. Don’t start early though! There will be additional requirements!

Like I said, I like discussion, I also don’t want people to get confused, hence why I created the Discord, with a separate area for challenge suggestion discussion, to avoid confusion. I wish the forum would support that. :( 

On 9/24/2018 at 9:38 AM, kerbalstar said:

JOc4Kjf.jpg

The next challenge, requested so many times by @The Minmus Derp , is to construct a single or multiple launch Minmus base which must have: Ore  drilling and storage, comms, room for 4 Kerbals, and some sort of entertainment(i.e., a fun craft like the one on my base above, on the right of the picture, or some sort of interesting terrain nearby)

Will try it though I haven't yet managed to get to Minimus ever

I finally landed on Minimus

wVFhIar.png?1

Can show pictures of the journey (includes Solar Panels for charge)

Edit: Nevermind, just re-read the challenge and it has to have a comn so ignore this entry. I might redo it with adding comns to have it eligible

And at least I managed to land on Minimus

Edited by adamgerd

18 minutes ago, adamgerd said:

I finally landed on Minimus

wVFhIar.png?1

Can show pictures of the journey (includes Solar Panels for charge)

Edit: Nevermind, just re-read the challenge and it has to have a comn so ignore this entry. I might redo it with adding comns to have it eligible

And at least I managed to land on Minimus

Don't forget to bring entertainment!

3 minutes ago, hoioh said:

Don't forget to bring entertainment!

or some sort of interesting terrain nearby)"

I assumed that hill would qualify even if I didn't manage to land directly in the crater but yeah. Unless I could just launch a second vehicle there with both and so have it count. At least it can improve in that I should've landed in day time, its much harder to land during the night as the first attempt led to the left solar panel breaking off, the second one didn't though the engine is destroyed

Edited by adamgerd

4 hours ago, adamgerd said:

or some sort of interesting terrain nearby)"

I assumed that hill would qualify even if I didn't manage to land directly in the crater but yeah. Unless I could just launch a second vehicle there with both and so have it count. At least it can improve in that I should've landed in day time, its much harder to land during the night as the first attempt led to the left solar panel breaking off, the second one didn't though the engine is destroyed

You can just launch the second one and park it next to it, it can be multiple launch according to the brief

1 hour ago, hoioh said:

You can just launch the second one and park it next to it, it can be multiple launch according to the brief

Yeah. Though getting it nearby on Minimus will probably take some trial and error given the low gravity and 0 atmosphere makes it hard to slow down when approaching the site

guess what this is supposed to do...

433f7cf902a9.png

Turned out to have a couple issues with both ground attachments (will need to build a bit more rigid connection) and the base's ISRU (why the stupid thing doesn't work without an ore tank?). sending request to KSC for a supply package

There's concern some people will struggle with this  liquid fuel to orbit challenge,  so i'll try  to give some pointers if you want to go for a "Cruiser spaceplane" type solution

1.  Use Mark 1 parts !  Mk2 parts have loads more drag, and will make this much harder

2.  But what about heat ?  Use an inline cockpit, and try to put the crewed bits 1 or 2 modules back from the front of the stack.   eg.  Shock cone intake at the front, service bay, then cockpit/crew cabin.  

3. Try to keep all your fuel in big S strakes and wing parts,  they have the lowest drag per unit of fuel stored.   Yes, cylindrical tanks have slightly lower mass, but that gets lost in the mass of those heavy NERVs.  Also , wing parts make LIFT and you'll want all the lift you can get.     If your design needs more fuel, clip some extra strakes on and fill em up.    Of course, if you need a trim tank at the front or back of your craft and don't want wings there because that'd mess with your Centre of Lift,  by all means drop a cylindrical tank in.

4.  Similarly,  you ideally want all your lift surfaces to be big S ones that do double duty as fuel tanks,  but in practice you may need to add small modular wing parts at the front or back to fine tune your CoL,  and you might not also want to add fuel in the same location,  so do what you need to do to get it flying straight and true !

5.  One jet engine per 20 to 30 tons of takeoff weight.    At the upper end of this range it gets harder to accelerate and the flight takes longer, at the lower end you are more likely to have fuel issues.

6.  One nuke per 10 to 15 tons of takeoff weight.  

7.  To reach orbit comfortably,  you want 25 to 33% of your craft's total weight to be fuel.    

Suggested mods - 

1.  RCS build aid - make 's it really easy to see where your CoM will be when the fuel burns off, and if your engines are out of line with centre of mass and likely to cause pitch up or down torque

2. CorrectCoL - makes the blue centre of lift indicator more accurate

3. Kerbal Wind Tunnel  - shows how much excess power your craft has at each speed and altitude, shows you where it's easiest to bust the sound barrier

One thing i still struggle with is centre of mass/craft layout.    Nukes are really heavy  and you can't shove your crew cabins too far forward to balance them or you'll roast in the re-entry heat.   So you want to put the nukes as far forward as possible,  but at the same time the efflux needs to not impinge on the wings or other surfaces ... and you can't mount them too far above or below the centreline of your craft or you get unwanted torque.   Over to you guys, lets see some creative designs..

Here is my base. It was supposed to be single-launch, but then I had to send a supply lander with a KIS storage full of extra parts

7b4ca7dd85a1.png

So, after initial reassembly (KAS/KIS) and then addition of some more parts from the supply craft it looks like this:

• It is based on Planetary Base Systems with TAC Life Support.
  • Has fully self-sustained life support for 6 Kerbals
  • Includes an ISRU rig