Kerbalstar

Micro-challenges for all! (Continuation of Newbie Central.)

Recommended Posts

The challenge is now closed!

@doggonemess will post the medals as soon as they are ready. Thank you to everyone who participated, and I wish I had gotten my entry in under the deadline!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The space program is running out of money, and the major cause has been determined to be down to three things:

A) Parachutes, which last week's challenge covered how to eliminate.

B) Kerbonauts, which there is clearly no good way to eliminate, and

C) Liquid fueled engines and their fuel tanks. This week's challenge covers how to eliminate those needless expenses. 

 

The next Challenge is SRBs to orbit.

The rules, in all of their glory:

A) You may only use stock solid rocket boosters (SRBs) to reach orbit. Any size of SRBs is allowed.

B) At least one Kerbal must be in the vehicle.

C) Once in orbit, you must rendezvous and dock with another craft. It can be any craft, whether or not it already existed before this challenge. It can be manned or unmanned. You may use liquid fuel for the rendezvous. Unless the craft also used SRBs only to get to orbit, it can not assist in the rendezvous. If it also used only SRBs to achieve orbit, you may use its engines and the other craft's engines interchangeably. 

D) You do not need to return the Kerbals to Kerbin.

@Ultimate Steve mode: Do the rendezvous with only SRBs and the docking with only SRBs, or Vernors. I was not that crazy. @Ultimate Steve, will...

fMJP4nP.png

The Micro-Challenger on take-off.

rgkKTSX.png

 

The Micro-Challenger and the Micro-Challenger 2 docked in Kerbin orbit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kerbalstar said:

You may use liquid fuel for the rendezvous.  Unless the craft also used SRBs only to get to orbit, it can not assist in the rendezvous. If it also used only SRBs to achieve orbit, you may use its engines and the other craft's engines interchangeably. 

Ok, this is a really vague sentence, let me see if I understand correctly:

1. you may use liquid fuel for the rendezvous

clear as day

2. unless the craft also used SRBs only to get into orbit, it cannot assist in the rendezvous

So, if I used if I don't conform to the parameter A, I can't use LF for the assist. Not that it matters, because I've already failed the mission

3. If it also used only SRBs to achieve orbit, you may use its engines and the other craft's engines interchangeably. 

I'm guessing this is about the other craft now and that's why the sentence confused me

 

This means I have a Craft A and a Craft B:

Craft A can go up on SRBs, or any other method

Craft B can go up on SRBs only

If craft A went up on SRBs it can expend some fuel to assist with docking

If craft A went up in any other way it cannot spend any fuel to assist with docking

 

Is that correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kerbalstar said:

The challenge is now closed!

@doggonemess will post the medals as soon as they are ready. Thank you to everyone who participated, and I wish I had gotten my entry in under the deadline!

Thanks for closing it! I'll have the medals up shortly, hopefully today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hoioh said:

 

Is that correct?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hoioh said:

This means I have a Craft A and a Craft B:

Craft A can go up on SRBs, or any other method

Craft B can go up on SRBs only

If craft A went up on SRBs it can expend some fuel to assist with docking

If craft A went up in any other way it cannot spend any fuel to assist with docking

Yes. To clarify, that rule was made so that if you already had a space station in orbit, you could dock with it. However, since the station probably went up not only on SRBs, it cannot assist with the rendezvous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, I have a big, fancy, space hotel that is just up there sucking up resources. I think it might need to be deorbited. For, uh, scientific research.

Also, I'd like to point out that while docking with SRBs only would certainly be hard, docking with Vernors only isn't. I guess they're way overpowered on a 1t capsule, but they're pretty much required for large craft (barring mod RCS thrusters).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kerbalstar said:

Yes. To clarify, that rule was made so that if you already had a space station in orbit, you could dock with it. However, since the station probably went up not only on SRBs, it cannot assist with the rendezvous.

Just for a further clarification, can the (non-SRB-launched) space station (or other target) use reaction wheels and SAS target tracking to assist docking, or do you have to turn SAS off on it? (Or something else, e.g. SAS is allowed but only in stability assist mode?)

I'm asking because, in my experience, it's a lot easier to dock with something that's actively controlling its orientation and keeping its docking port pointed towards you than with an inert piece of debris that can't turn to face you and will start tumbling if you accidentally bump it.

Edited by vyznev

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vyznev said:

Just for a further clarification, can the (non-SRB-launched) space station (or other target) use reaction wheels and SAS target tracking to assist docking, or do you have to turn SAS off on it? (Or something else, e.g. SAS is allowed but only in stability assist mode?)

I'm asking because, in my experience, it's a lot easier to dock with something that's actively controlling its orientation and keeping its docking port pointed towards you than with an inert piece of debris that can't turn to face you and will start tumbling if you accidentally bump it.

You may use SAS. The point is simply that you can't use it to make the rendezvous easier. You can turn it for docking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Badges for the Chute-less Challenge are done! If you didn't use airbags (inflating heat shield) or retrorockets you can optionally use the "crater" badge. :)

 

mwbGR1R.jpg

cUEfT4R.jpg

ZVjwPzO.jpg

iVzmnkg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh. I just now joined this thread, and since not many people have tried the SRB challenge, I guess I'm gonna have to try it.

Before I do however, I have Flight Engineer installed; is it allowed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shoot 2 of these in orbit

tPwg5Z5.jpg

Rendezvous and docking were done with rcs and the monoprop from the pod. I used both crafts for rendezvous.

PrOXWfN.jpg

Orbit on SRB's

Edited by PrvDancer85
Added link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, UnfortuneLess said:

Huh. I just now joined this thread, and since not many people have tried the SRB challenge, I guess I'm gonna have to try it.

Before I do however, I have Flight Engineer installed; is it allowed?

 

On 8/22/2018 at 12:09 AM, Kerbalstar said:

 

 

 Q10: What about mods? Can I use (my favorite mod)?

If your favorite mod is Hyperedit, then no. Sorry. Unless a challenge says to use Hyperedit, then you can't use it. You: Why would a challenge say to use Hyperedit? Hey, don't interrupt my answer, I was getting to that! ;) (Joking.) A challenge might say to use Hyperedit if say, you're supposed to rendezvous with something in orbit, and putting it there isn't part of the challenge (unlikely, but maybe), it might say just Hyperedit it up there. Anyway, non-cheaty or OP mods or fine. I.e., KER, MJ, VOID, EVE, SVE, KIS/KAS, KJR, etc., are fine. Feel free to ask about your favorite mod! 

 

     

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Great job on the medals @doggonemess

I am sad to say that @VelocityPolaris has gone missing. He is no longer part of the team, having not been active in our PM thread since September 1st and not having visited the forum since October 13th. @VelocityPolaris, if you are reading this, and you would like to rejoin the team, please just PM us, and you'll have your spot back. Please do not go looking to @VelocityPolaris for any questions are answers. This is also why he has not posted a challenge on this thread. 

 

Keep up the good work everybody!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kerbalstar said:

 

Great job on the medals @doggonemess

I am sad to say that @VelocityPolaris has gone missing. He is no longer part of the team, having not been active in our PM thread since September 1st and not having visited the forum since October 13th. @VelocityPolaris, if you are reading this, and you would like to rejoin the team, please just PM us, and you'll have your spot back. Please do not go looking to @VelocityPolaris for any questions are answers. This is also why he has not posted a challenge on this thread. 

 

Keep up the good work everybody

Oh ok. So yeah I'll try to come up with a rocket for this challenge (not saying it will work).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there it is, the SRB challenge complete. The rocket (SRB launcher) is a simple,

tad over-powered SRB rocket that launched both Jeb and Val (independently) into space. For docking I used LiquidFuel.

I couldn't record a video due to software limitations (damn you 32 bits!), so instead I took 19 screenshots:

 

The rocket:

oZmzUga.png

On pad:

qT38jEN.png

Liftoff:

acxsS45.png

Thumper seperation:

xVgVzYm.png

Continuing:

4ytOKOB.png

Burnout:

6dYYGEg.png

Hammer ignition:

E3rNdNo.png

Near space:

vTlhl6a.png

Insertion:

VacnyS3.png

Orbit achieved:

XuwBfta.png

Valentina in space (yes I skipped the launch 'cuz it was the same thing):

dCwdyP5.png

Second insertion:

89pNiFD.png

In orbit:

DpslNoG.png

After fiddling with orbits, I got a close encounter:

WDxOxc6.png

Target at 9 km:

ibL17gs.png

Target at 5 km:

BcmuMsI.png

Target at 25 m:

5VBYtpv.png

Few meters left:

8bYfwY7.png

Docked:

JgX3g8v.png

And that's it! Hopefully I didn't break any rules, because I don't want to do this again (it took some time).

Edited by UnfortuneLess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erm... ahem... I'm sorry to say that I didn't pay any attention to this thread, but when I noticed the super-purty "LF SSTO" badges I wondered where they came from and this is why I'm here... Is there any chance to retroactively qualify? I could offer this, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's one of the more elegant Duna vehicles I've seen. Most I've seen (including my own) are big and clunky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Laie said:

Erm... ahem... I'm sorry to say that I didn't pay any attention to this thread, but when I noticed the super-purty "LF SSTO" badges I wondered where they came from and this is why I'm here... Is there any chance to retroactively qualify? I could offer this, for example.

Now THAT is a good craft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2018 at 9:51 AM, Laie said:

Erm... ahem... I'm sorry to say that I didn't pay any attention to this thread, but when I noticed the super-purty "LF SSTO" badges I wondered where they came from and this is why I'm here... Is there any chance to retroactively qualify? I could offer this, for example.

Flattery will get you everywhere.  :D  It's funny, I really didn't think I did a great job on that one.

I'll talk to the gang and see what they think. I'm not the biggest fan of "closing" challenges anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Challenge is now closed!

@doggonemess will post the medals as soon as they are ready, and @obney kerman will post the next challenge as soon as it is ready! Thank you all for participating, and I hope you had fun! I certainly did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerbalstar said:

The Challenge is now closed!

@doggonemess will post the medals as soon as they are ready, and @obney kerman will post the next challenge as soon as it is ready! Thank you all for participating, and I hope you had fun! I certainly did!

Oh good! Thanks for having me arround, and I'll try to participate on further challenges. Also, I must ask so I don't have to ask later, how does one, take the badges? (yes I know they aren't done yet, I'm just asking how do you receive them when they do arrive).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UnfortuneLess said:

Oh good! Thanks for having me arround, and I'll try to participate on further challenges. Also, I must ask so I don't have to ask later, how does one, take the badges? (yes I know they aren't done yet, I'm just asking how do you receive them when they do arrive).

They are posted, and you copy image address and put it in your sig, I think, I've never actually done that. Be back in a sec...

Yup, it works @UnfortuneLess !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kerbalstar said:

They are posted, and you copy image address and put it in your sig, I think, I've never actually done that. Be back in a sec...

Yup, it works @UnfortuneLess !

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.