Crashes upon reloading VAB/SPH/Launch excessively

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Honestly, I'm not sure Unity is entirely to blame here, it was a conscious decision early in KSP development to have "no loading screens", and not design a dynamic asset loader.... which really just means everything in RAM, all the time.

Frankly? Knowing what I know from Unity, this would not be a (new) issue.

Dynamic Loading Assets would reduce the initial memory footprint (and the initial loading time) by a mile , but would also make the memory problems worse. Try to imagine the pathetic Unity's GC handling, also, many megabytes of binary assets being loaded and unloaded on demand on playing time...

2 hours ago, steve_v said:

Sure, if your heap is a sensible size...

I have no big problem with SystemD itself, I have a problem with it being mandatory on many distros. But yeah, I'm not real excited about svchost for Linux, my grubby shell scripts work just fine. Unix philosophy and all that.

SystemD had bitten me on the SAS more than once. This thing manages to be worse than Unity's GC, and you are a happy man if you didn't had to figure it out by yourself. :) 

8 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Try to imagine the pathetic Unity's GC handling, also, many megabytes of binary assets being loaded and unloaded on demand on playing time...

You do have a point. Though a smaller overall footprint might help to keep the address space within 32bit limitations...

9 minutes ago, Lisias said:

SystemD had bitten me on the SAS more than once. This thing manages to be worse than Unity's GC, and you are a happy man if you didn't had to figure it out by yourself.

Oh no, it's bitten me too. I put up with SystemD and the developers attitude to bugs for a couple of years before my patience expired. I'd probably be more willing to deal with said bugs if I agreed with the architecture.
Also, Lennart is a complete jerk.

40 minutes ago, steve_v said:

You do have a point. Though a smaller overall footprint might help to keep the address space within 32bit limitations...

The 32 bits addressing space is just a problem due a 32Bits DLL "infiltrated" on the 64Bits distribution.

I run KSP on MacOS and Linux, and I don't have a problem with 10 to 15G RAM processes - other than Unity, obviously. :P 

2 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I run KSP on MacOS and Linux, and I don't have a problem with 10 to 15G RAM processes

So do I :). Using 15GB of memory (and requiring me to install as much) is still ridiculous though. Thank Dog for boards with 8 DIMM slots.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.