Kerbal Space Program has no sound. I mean just that.

I have tried:

• Launching from the exe directly instead of from Steam
  • Restarting the computer
  • Deleting all mods
  • Playing on a different folder/EXE (different version, 32 bit instead of 64 bit)
  • Reinstalling the game (to clear the files in %appdata%)
  • Running "Troubleshoot Sound Problems"

Other applications produce sound fine, so I suspect it is a system issue, not a KSP issue.

Output.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xb37bkzjuvt7aym/output_log.txt?dl=0

System Specs:

Model: ASUS ROG Strix GL703GE
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12)
RAM: 16271
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (4031MB)

Edited by 0something0

29 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Other applications produce sound fine, so I suspect it is a system issue, not a KSP issue.

I think you mean the opposite? 

Have you always had no sound, or is this a new issue?   Try updating your sound drivers either way. 

FMOD failed to initialize the output device, attempting to initialize the null output.

I dunno if this is the sound card or not, but it's way up at the top of the log. 

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I dunno if this is the sound card or not, but it's way up at the top of the log. 

FMOD is a (music) library and is used in many games to play audio files so this is definitly related to the issue. I didn't know that KSP uses FMOD, there isn't even a related .dll file...

So, beside the questions of Gargamel, I want to add two more:

1) What's your sound device?
2) Did you recently updated any drivers (GPU, Mainboard, Soundcard) or (I know it sounds stupid) plugged in a PS4 controler?

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

FMOD is a (music) library and is used in many games to play audio files so this is definitly related to the issue. I didn't know that KSP uses FMOD, there isn't even a related .dll file...

So, beside the questions of Gargamel, I want to add two more:

1) What's your sound device?
2) Did you recently updated any drivers (GPU, Mainboard, Soundcard) or (I know it sounds stupid) plugged in a PS4 controler?

I looked it up and it appears that Unity itself uses FMOD.

1)Sound card: I don't know but I am using the laptop mentioned in the OP.

2)No. The laptop is only a month old so it should have the latest drivers.

2 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

I looked it up and it appears that Unity itself uses FMOD.

Ah ok, so it is probably implemented in the unity.dll :)

3 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

I don't know but I am using the laptop mentioned in the OP.

Oops, didn't see the Model name ^^

What about the question of Gargamel: is it a new issue? Did you have any sound in KSP earlier?

16 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

What about the question of Gargamel: is it a new issue? Did you have any sound in KSP earlier?

The problem appeared yesterday.

UPDATE:
I have attempted restarting the Audiosrv servicec via task manager and reinstalling the audio drivers.

I also have found a Unity install on my computer which was installed while trying to install Visual Studio game dev package. It may have something to do with it.

UPDATE 2#: Ran Unity editor and got this error:

FMOD failed to initialize. This may be because your sound card is configured to give applications exclusive access, thus preventing Unity from using this device. You can change this in Control Panel > Audio Devices and Sound Themes > Playback Device > Properties > Options ... : "Soundcard does not support the minimum features needed for this soundsystem (16bit stereo output). " (59)

Edited by 0something0

Just now, 0something0 said:

I have attempted restarting the Audiosrv servicec via task manager and reinstalling the audio drivers.

I was just typing that you should try that xD

1 minute ago, 0something0 said:

also have found a Unity install on my computer which was installed while trying to install Visual Studio game dev package. It may have something to do with it.

Well, if you have installed the package yesterday, that sounds plausible but still unlikely. I would give it a try anyway.

25 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

2)No. The laptop is only a month old so it should have the latest drivers.

Hehehehe.... no.     You'd think so, but not always.  And drivers could have been updated since, especially if the hardware in your system is a relatively new design. 

The FMOD issue seems to cause wav or other audio files to not want to import. I fixed the issue on my Windows 10 laptop by right clicking on the volume control in the system tray and selecting "Playback devices". From there I was able to see the multiple playback devices listed. I disabled one started Unity 5x and still got the FMOD error message. Went back into "Playback devices" and re-enabled the playback device and disabled the other. Now I had a red X in the system tray over the volume control icon. BUT... I brought up Unity and NO FMOD error message. The import thing was that now my import worked without crashing and surprisingly I still had sound to my headphones. Go figure. Don't forget to re-enable your playback device. We may just have to get used to the disable enable procedure because of the sound card driver issues.

Source: https://answers.unity.com/questions/336919/fmod-driver-fail.html#comment-1326624

UPDATE: I did the thing that the Unity error message told me. It did not work. 

9 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Well, if you have installed the package yesterday, that sounds plausible but still unlikely. I would give it a try anyway.

Well, the installation process got borked in the middle of it. The soundcard do have 16 bit audio support - 24 bit audio in fact. 

13 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The FMOD issue seems to cause wav or other audio files to not want to import. I fixed the issue on my Windows 10 laptop by right clicking on the volume control in the system tray and selecting "Playback devices". From there I was able to see the multiple playback devices listed. I disabled one started Unity 5x and still got the FMOD error message. Went back into "Playback devices" and re-enabled the playback device and disabled the other. Now I had a red X in the system tray over the volume control icon. BUT... I brought up Unity and NO FMOD error message. The import thing was that now my import worked without crashing and surprisingly I still had sound to my headphones. Go figure. Don't forget to re-enable your playback device. We may just have to get used to the disable enable procedure because of the sound card driver issues.

Tried that, sound didn't come on. I suspect I might have to reinstall the OS...

6 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Tried that, sound didn't come on. I suspect I might have to reinstall the OS...

Before you do this...

7 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

the installation process got borked in the middle of it

Did you take the driver from the ASUS website or the regular realtek driver?

You can try to reboot win10 into safe mode (or secure mode? I don't know the englisch name for it...), uninstall the driver and install it again (in two steps, don't just run the installer and re-install).

3 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Did you take the driver from the ASUS website or the regular realtek driver?

You can try to reboot win10 into safe mode (or secure mode? I don't know the englisch name for it...), uninstall the driver and install it again (in two steps, don't just run the installer and re-install).

The VS Studio installation was borked, not the drivers.

I got the driver from the ASUS website (which gave me the normal realtek driver. I will try the safe mode later.

Edited by 0something0

If using Windows you could see if you had a system restore point from before you tried to install the driver that broke your sound....

I would do that at least before I tried to reinstall my OS....

There are a number of free driver updater programs you can run to find and install new drivers for you....

Most or all of them include a way to reverse any changes in the event something like this happens....

I would try one of those in the future....

https://www.lifewire.com/free-driver-updater-tools-2619206

It sounds like #5 on that list "may" even be able to fix corrupted driver installs....

Edited by JoE Smash

Just went back and reinstalled the OS. 

STILL no sound.

ARGHHHHHH
UPDATE:

I forgot to mention, I tried installing from the Realtek website with no luck. I did try running it from a Ubuntu VM, this time with more luck (but its literally unplayable due to long load times and high seconds per frame.)

Edited by 0something0

SOLVED!!!! 

I changed the hardware id of the speakers in Device Manager.

For anyone reading this in the future, (or future me),  go to Device Managers,  Sound, Audio, and Game controllers, click on the speakers that you are using, go to properties, then details. Than click on the "properties" drop down and go to "Hardware IDs". I clicked on the id that was not selected and the problem was solved!

It tends to be a good idea to try different things to narrow down the source of the issue (i.e. is it a KSP problem? a Unity problem? a driver/OS issue?)

Edited by 0something0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.