The chemical name for titin and other real long words

The Minmus Derp

Just now, Kerbart said:

Take a look at down load, mean time, foot ball, black board, wall paper, cran berry, and house wife. Nobody spells them like that. So merged words do exist in English and are actively used, not just because people incorrectly decide to use them like that.

Depending on context, those are all perfectly acceptable ways to use the words- except for cranberry. Which, coincidentally, comes from German!

Also, since this thread has expanded beyond chemical names, it's going back in the Lounge.

Edited by Dman979
Typo

32 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Take a look at down load, mean time, foot ball, black board, wall paper, cran berry, and house wife. Nobody spells them like that. So merged words do exist in English and are actively used, not just because people incorrectly decide to use them like that.

True as well in many languages. Indonesian, a form of Malay, while in general avoids merging, merges a few words to describe what otherwise would be too unwieldy. In addition we also shorten them as well.

The standard word (as per KBBI, the indonesian dictionary) for 'online', daring, stands for dalam jaringan; e-mails are termed surelsurat elektronik.

Then there are a few words that is merged only when modified, like tanggung jawab (resposibility), which turns into mempertanggungjawabkan (be responsible to) when added the confix memper--kan.

Some more words are merged straight off. (haven't found the right example for that though.)

Then again, those words you used could be used to mean other things - down load : load that you take while going down, and mean time : average time.

Edited by YNM

I am German.

Actually, German language does not have more combined words than other languages like English or Spanish. It comes mostly with the description of technical things, that a verb and a noun are combined, to describe that "something is doing something", like "Laufband" from laufen (to run) and Band (belt), would translate to conveyor belt. And there are different versions, for the transport of people, raw materials or end products, which might to an outsider look and sound confusing.

But in the end it is rarely more than two words (though they exist) that form a new one, and if it is it frequently comes from politicians or lawyers (oops :-)). In these cases the word will be difficult to find in an official dictionary and is absolutely to be ignored in every day life because its (un-)intended connotations tend to be arbitrary and are likely to cause ambiguities or leave a backdoor.

We have of course our jokes about word-monsters like

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft

a classic, which means "Company for steam boat trips on the Danube".  That's my tribute to the op :-)

Be it as it may, it is frequently not the best method of speech to complicate things or create neologisms.

:-)

Edit: oh, by the way, neologism, translated to German, has 3 ingredients in it:

Wortneuschöpfung

Word-new-creation

:-)

Edited by Green Baron

2 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Actually, German language does not have more combined words than other languages like English or Spanish. It comes mostly with the description of technical things, that a verb and a noun are combined, to describe that "something is doing something", like "Laufband" from laufen (to run) and Band (belt), would translate to conveyor belt. And there are different versions, for the transport of people, raw materials or end products, which might to an outsider look and sound confusing.

You guys may not have any more combined words than the rest of us, but you guys do have some doozies.

When I was working as a woodworker, a lot of our cabinetry hardware would come from Blum, a German company, or at least one that speaks German.  Some of the names of the things would would buy were printed on the packaging, but were so long the word would wrap all the way around it. 

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

You guys may not have any more combined words than the rest of us, but you guys do have some doozies.

When I was working as a woodworker, a lot of our cabinetry hardware would come from Blum, a German company, or at least one that speaks German.  Some of the names of the things would would buy were printed on the packaging, but were so long the word would wrap all the way around it. 

Hehe. Sure it wasn't just "handle with care" printed on an endless tape ? :sticktongue:

Honestly, a single word that "wraps all the way around" doesn't exist in German, even in super large letters. If you have a better hint or a link to the website we could try and find out what that was.

Edit: Spanish has some nice constructs, e.g. from a verb, article and reflective pronoun (hope i got that right) in one word. It is a language for short and on the point information exchange :-)

Edited by Green Baron

1 hour ago, Not Sure said:

What’s interesting to think about is how the chemical name for Titin was maybe typed by hand once but all the other occurrences of it have been direct copies.

least typed and least memorized word.

I'd write a script to do the typing for me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2018 at 1:19 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

I'd write a script to do the typing for me.

[...Array(256)].map((_,i)=>i<52|i>126&i<161|i==92|i==96?0:s=s.split(String.fromCharCode(i)).join(`...dictionary...`.slice(j,j+=2)),j=0,s=`...packed_data...`)&&[...s].map(c=>'methion|threon|glutamin|alan|prol|phen|leuc|ser|val|glutam|glyc|histid|isoleuc|tryptoph|argin|aspart|lys|asparagin|tyros|cystein'.split`|`[c.charCodeAt()-32]).join`yl`+'ine'

https://codegolf.stackexchange.com/questions/116645/output-the-full-name-of-titin

To be honest....calling that constructed term for that protein a "word" is like saying that I dont live in a "house", I live in a brickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickDOORbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickWINDOWbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickANOTHERWINDOWbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrick......

....etc

26 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

To be honest....calling that constructed term for that protein a "word" is like saying that I dont live in a "house", I live in a brickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickDOORbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickWINDOWbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickANOTHERWINDOWbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrickbrick......

....etc

HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHA so silly

3 hours ago, p1t1o said:

....etc

This is the perfect way to put it.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2018 at 7:52 PM, p1t1o said:

constructed term for that protein a "word" is like saying that I dont live in a "house", I live in a brickbrick[...]

Yeah. Concrete will be stonesandcementaditiveswater.

and also, a cashewbutter jelly sandwich is now a 

BREADcashewbutterJELLYcashewbutterBREAD

and also, earth is now SPAAAACEexospherethermospheremesospherestratospheretroposphereCRUSTuppermantlelowermantleoutercoreinnercoreoutercorelowermantleuppermantleCRUSTtropospherestratospheremesospherethermosphereexosphereSPAAAACE

y'know.

3 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

One wonders why the sign is so wide.

Maybe they also pronounce the spaces.

(I would not be surprised as they write small "o" above big "A" to show that this "a" is actually "o").

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.