The chemical name for titin and other real long words

The Minmus Derp

20 minutes ago, Scotius said:

"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocius"... This... what...? :confused:

But i'm not going to be outdone by your Anglo-Saxon linguistic madness!

Behold! Piece of good, old-fashioned Slavic insanity:

Konstantynopolitańczykowianeczka.

:lol:

Yes, it is a word. It means "Young female citizen of Constantinopole". Yes, we do laugh at it too. It is the only reason it exists apparently.

And now's the time for someone from Germany to post something truly outrageous. I know for a fact they have some real doozies in their language :D

Ohh don't ya dare me

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

2 minutes ago, Pascovian said:

Ohh don't ya dare me

I have nothing. You win. Though, between you and me (and the rest o the forum) - creating such monstrosity is nothing to be proud of :lol:

i've found a piece of some greek madness

Spoiler

Lopado­temacho­selacho­galeo­kranio­leipsano­drim­hypo­trimmato­silphio­parao­melito­katakechy­meno­kichl­epi­kossypho­phatto­perister­alektryon­opte­kephallio­kigklo­peleio­lagoio­siraio­baphe­tragano­pterygon

i'm just going to stop derailing this post, i'm starting fo feel worried about that rule

I'm gonna make a forum thread in The lounge section for this kind of specific monsters

Edited by Pascovian

8 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Some words where some letter occurs several times one by one?
(i.e. like "-aa-")

i think that has to deal with scandinavian alphabet, with the letter Å

but other than that, umm.. that i know, there's no super long words with that,

(i.e antique supercontinent Vaalbara)

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Oh c’mon, every schoolkid knows the longest word is “smiles”

There’s a mile between the two esses 

well... it's 6 letters

plus, its the mile litteral?

Edited by Pascovian

8 hours ago, Pascovian said:

Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

Been there. 

19 hours ago, Pascovian said:

I don't really think it's a spoiler, unless you are an advanced biologist willing to do a task for what's the name of titin... :rolleyes:

No, it's just common courtesy on a forum to not hit people with a huge wall of text.    Spoiler tags are the most appropriate.  Code or Quote tags leave the wall of text up there. 

4 hours ago, Pascovian said:

Having a medical background and understanding most of that.... ewwwww..... 

1 hour ago, Pascovian said:

i think that has to deal with scandinavian alphabet, with the letter Å

but other than that, umm.. that i know, there's no super long words with that,

(i.e antique supercontinent Vaalbara)

Who might be named by an Scandinavian. And yes Å tend to be translated AA, AA even show up some places, mostly in surnames, probably been translated back in the dark ages there you did not want to make any A an saint. 

3 minutes ago, Pascovian said:

The Å letter is the name of a village in Norway, and it's one of the shortest place names in the world

Yes say the the shortest possible unless you count letter width so I would win :) 
Another village in Norway is named Hell.
maxresdefault.jpg

Next to the airport to Trondheim and its an obvious selfi spot.
As you see some demon has tried to redirect bicyclists to keep them in area. 

I'm debating with myself if i should mention a certain village in Austria, the name of which have rather... crude conotations in English. ;) And wider modern culture. But i'd rather not bring the wrath of admin team on my head :lol: But it's there, and those curious enough will find it.

55 minutes ago, Scotius said:

I'm debating with myself if i should mention a certain village in Austria, the name of which have rather... crude conotations in English. ;) And wider modern culture. But i'd rather not bring the wrath of admin team on my head :lol: But it's there, and those curious enough will find it.

Like Hell its innocent before translated. You also has this problem with product names who might be weird then translated. 
Your food read as poison or diarrhea, cars who translated to junk or don't move is also an show stopper. 
Now you have places who are non innocent, an entrance to an fjord in Norway is V shaped with vegetation only close to the sea, name literary translated is lady with spread legs, its an sailor thing an lack of female sailors back in the days. 

The winner in my opinion might be the 404 Internet translation error restaurant during the Peking Olympic. 
Yes it might be that they went for it getting the sign, it was pretty hard to forget and it was not supposed to last past the event. 

22 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Like Hell its innocent before translated. You also has this problem with product names who might be weird then translated. 

Even sign language (for deaf people, not road signs) has this problem.   The sign for "brother" in Japanese Sign Language is considered a rude gesture in America (and other places). 

Spoiler

i think its called Fu####g, which in austria beepng means "(place of) Focko's people."

Got that from wikipedia

related to spoiler*

(my) and Wikipedia's Warning

"Unusual place names are names for cities, towns, and other regions which are considered non-ordinary in some manner. This can include place names which are also swear words, inadvertently humorous or highly charged words, as well as place names of unorthodox spelling and pronunciation, including especially short or long names."

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

well... i think i shall say you the uh... word in austrian is something like saying luck in english-speaking countries

Edited by Pascovian
stuff

Well, in Dutch, if there are changes to the valuations of liability amounts, you get aansprakelijkheidswaardevaststellingsveranderingen, and that’s a “real” word. Of course it’s not a big deal to come up with longer constructs, like Kindercarnavalsoptochtvoorbereidingswerkzaamhedencomitéleden - this refers to the members of the committee that prepares the work involved for a mardi gras parade for children.

But I’m sure there will be a few German entries that make this look like childs play.

i've found Tweedehandsemotorverkoopsmannevakbondstakingsvergaderingsameroeperstoespraakskrywerspersverklaringuitreikingsmediakonferensieaankondiging(136 letters), which means "issuable media conference's announcement at a press release regarding the convener's speech at a secondhand car dealership union's strike meeting". 

3 hours ago, Scotius said:

Yeah, that's why i mentioned German in the first place. They have this bizarre habit of smashing several words together, creating those linguistic Frankenstein's monsters and calling it a day

German keyboard doesn't need a space key.

3 hours ago, YNM said:

Why even bother with long words ?I know some language are agglutinative, but as a simple user of a simple language myself, I see no reason to try bond words together.

Also, a long word hasn't been used enough if it hasn't had an abbreviation for it, like i18n.

Well, the longest one in a dictionary is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

(45 letters and abbreviated P45 by medics)

Edited by Pascovian

9 hours ago, Scotius said:

Yeah, that's why i mentioned German in the first place. They have this bizarre habit of smashing several words together, creating those linguistic Frankenstein's monsters and calling it a day :D

It's not that bizar. In German (and Dutch), when you couple two words, you couple them together into one word. English is the weird one. It's "to log in" but also "do download". It's "We have nothing so far" but also "We have nothing in the meantime."

It's pretty confusing for foreigners to figure out when two words should be combined into one, and when they should be separated. Germans don't like confusion :)

3 hours ago, Pascovian said:

(45 letters and abbreviated P45 by medics)

Still less used than i18n.

10 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

It's pretty confusing for foreigners to figure out when two words should be combined into one, and when they should be separated.

Be like us, no need for merging.

Though people often goes to "wait, that's an interesting and useful one to merge" and proceed to merge it.

At least we still follow IPA spelling !

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Still less used than i18n.

Be like us, no need for merging.

Though people often goes to "wait, that's an interesting and useful one to merge" and proceed to merge it.

At least we still follow IPA spelling !

Take a look at down load, mean time, foot ball, black board, wall paper, cran berry, and house wife. Nobody spells them like that. So merged words do exist in English and are actively used, not just because people incorrectly decide to use them like that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.