How do you make a Large Plane turn, and pitch smoothly?

So I recently decided to make a larger plane than I normally do. But whenever I make turns or pitch it goes forcefully then goes back down. I've noticed it happens around 100 m/s. I's Guessing it is drag because I learned that with my rockets. Please excuse this horrible question I have very basic knowledge on aerodynamics let alone in KSP. 

2 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Are your wings properly strutted? Large planes suffer badly from wobble. Consider using autostruts to strut all wing pieces.

I will try that next time. 

I'll give an update tomorrow.

Edited by MeepTicoMeep

26 minutes ago, Pascovian said:

if the text was just blocks then the problem should be in the "Squad" folder i think, but other than that, is that you have a little bit of control sensibillity or it's reaction wheels missing from the plane. 

How would you put reaction wheels on it though?

Here is it missing a wind and plummeting to death.

QooR2tx.jpg

OK, so the basic deal is that your wings are at your CoM. And most of your control surfaces are attached to your wings. So they are all at your CoM. And when they are at your CoM, they accomplish nothing because they have no leverage.

So your control surfaces are applying immense forces to your wings, but those forces are in the wrong place to actually turn your plane. If you only apply forces in places where they have leverage, then your plane turns nicely.

Also, wings are delicate things -- so if you apply large forces directly to them, they usually break one way or another.

Also also, with your engines so very far below your CoM, they constantly try to pitch your nose up when they are at full thrust. It's not unmanageable, but your steering does change a lot depending on the thrust levels of your engines.

So, in general:

You should not attach your engines directly to the wings -- attach them to the fuselage and use the move tool to offset them to the proper location. Same for wheels.

If you attach elevons to the wings, then autostrut each of those elevons to the fuselage -- to prevent the elevons from bending the wings.

So here's a quickly edited copy of your craft file: https://pastebin.com/raw/q2ZJsfr9

Edited by bewing

By the way, the problem you were having with pitch control was to do with the way KSP handles control surfaces just a little bit in front of the center of mass.

Basically, it makes them angle down, rather than up when they are in front of the CoM. This is fine when they are way in front of the CoM, and there aren't very many of them, but when lots of them are right near the CoM, bad things happen. In this case, they were making the CoL shift in weird and unpredictable ways.

The solution is to simply set the control surfaces to not control pitch right near the CoM. I changed that, and also removed a bunch of fuel from it. That makes it so it will remain stable when the fuel runs low, and also allows you to remove an entire set of engines. It still has something like 2 hours of flight time at 10km.

Here's a craft file with all those modifications, and action groups set to reverse thrust and flaps.

https://kerbalx.com/Mad_Rocket_Scientist/Kersion-K500-for-MeepTicoMeep

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

17 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Sorry. :blush:

I'm taking a look at the craft file. You may not need all that much fuel, are you making this super long distance plane?

I was making it long distance.

17 hours ago, bewing said:

OK, so the basic deal is that your wings are at your CoM. And most of your control surfaces are attached to your wings. So they are all at your CoM. And when they are at your CoM, they accomplish nothing because they have no leverage.

So your control surfaces are applying immense forces to your wings, but those forces are in the wrong place to actually turn your plane. If you only apply forces in places where they have leverage, then your plane turns nicely.

Also, wings are delicate things -- so if you apply large forces directly to them, they usually break one way or another.

Also also, with your engines so very far below your CoM, they constantly try to pitch your nose up when they are at full thrust. It's not unmanageable, but your steering does change a lot depending on the thrust levels of your engines.

So, in general:

You should not attach your engines directly to the wings -- attach them to the fuselage and use the move tool to offset them to the proper location. Same for wheels.

If you attach elevons to the wings, then autostrut each of those elevons to the fuselage -- to prevent the elevons from bending the wings.

So here's a quickly edited copy of your craft file: https://pastebin.com/raw/q2ZJsfr9

I was taught to make planes that the CoL is slightly behind the CoM but then when I moved the wings forwards the plane would flip and loop making it tail heavy. oof. So now I need to autostrut more.

17 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

By the way, the problem you were having with pitch control was to do with the way KSP handles control surfaces just a little bit in front of the center of mass.

Basically, it makes them angle down, rather than up when they are in front of the CoM. This is fine when they are way in front of the CoM, and there aren't very many of them, but when lots of them are right near the CoM, bad things happen. In this case, they were making the CoL shift in weird and unpredictable ways.

The solution is to simply set the control surfaces to not control pitch right near the CoM. I changed that, and also removed a bunch of fuel from it. That makes it so it will remain stable when the fuel runs low, and also allows you to remove an entire set of engines. It still has something like 2 hours of flight time at 10km.

Here's a craft file with all those modifications, and action groups set to reverse thrust and flaps.

https://kerbalx.com/Mad_Rocket_Scientist/Kersion-K500-for-MeepTicoMeep

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Thank you both I made a quick 50 min flight to the Desert Airfield. Sort of crashed because I forgot about reverse thrust.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.