Weird Service Bays

Inspierio

Still can't hit ground *too* fast because if it clips into ground deep enough within 1 frame, other parts will get destroyed.

Now get this: the fairing exhibits similar behavior, only the base plate of it is vulnerable. I built a craft that had a fairing as tall as the entire KSC. I was able to land at Mun at over 300m/s. Took some tricks not to blow up when tipping over afterwards.

This is a bug I reported back in... 1.2.x

Was never acknowledged, certainly never fixed.

From what I can tell of the KSP API, it is actually an intentional choice -- only a single 'collider' object will trigger part explosions on any given part.  As service bays have separate collider objects for the top/bottom, and each door (x4), only one of those colliders will trigger explosions (hint: its not one of the door colliders).

All stock parts that have > 1 collider in the model also suffer from this same bug (cupola, mk3 cockpit, cargo bays, others), but it is most easily observed in the service bays and cargo bays (both have invincible doors).

20 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

This is a bug I reported back in... 1.2.x

Was never acknowledged, certainly never fixed.

From what I can tell of the KSP API, it is actually an intentional choice -- only a single 'collider' object will trigger part explosions on any given part.  As service bays have separate collider objects for the top/bottom, and each door (x4), only one of those colliders will trigger explosions (hint: its not one of the door colliders).

All stock parts that have > 1 collider in the model also suffer from this same bug (cupola, mk3 cockpit, cargo bays, others), but it is most easily observed in the service bays and cargo bays (both have invincible doors).

Lol.

How about Coding.

Or...

A lack of coding.

Peace.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.