You ask 2 questions into a single sentence. How interesting :0.0:

I'm going to answer these 2 questions in reverse order, because lets get all disturbed :confused:

Answer to contract Question. Contracts have a expiration date. I think it's healthy to have such a thing. Logistics (which spaceflight is) is also economical. And whether it's launching tourists into space or knowing your local supermarket is going to be resupplied with tacos, sodas and broccoli each day it does need to happen based on appointment and schedule. Which is why such a system is in place, I guess... If these things are a nuisance you should just keep track of the contract expiration dates which the contract clearly states in the mission control building. Otherwise you can play sandbox mode instead of career. Then these tasks of management are not required. You may like this better! Nobody is forcing you to play career, ya know?

Answer to drone core question. Well, one could ask why there isn't a substitute of any part and its variety of form factors? This can include a probe core of Mk3 size as it is lacking in the requested size.

My answer to my own above question which should answer yours i.m.o. is that parts in ksp are used with a intended function or build concept. Of course the freedom to use any part outside it's intended function or build concept is up to the user which could use it in infinite ways as far as creativity goes.

For a proposed Mk3 drone core you should ask yourself, why is it necessary to have this?

A drone core fulfills one function in this game, and one only. It is to have remote control over a vessel and that only. The difference in between other types of drone cores whether they're 0.625, 1.25 or 2.5meters is the stability assist/autopilot functions, amount of electricity onboard and reaction wheel strength.
In my opinion nothing other then a Probodobodyne-OKTO2 (smallest drone core available) is required to remote control any vessel because even if my craft is far larger and heavier I could use both SAS and Electric charge utilities required by large using the seperate reaction wheels or battery parts themselves.

In terms of weight efficiency it is better to use a small Mk 3 cargo bay, put a drone core of your choice (mine is the OKTO2) inside with batteries, reaction wheels (assuming you would want to) and all the other equipment like science experiments inside.
You usually would want to bring any such hardware along for your ride regardless so whatever you intend to install inside any of your onboard cargo bays any small drone core could be tucked inside easily.

Conclusion: By all means, a separate Mk 3 drone core is just a scaled version of a already existing drone core that by itself is going to be heavier and therefore less economical to use then using a smaller one. And since you can use the smallest drone core for a craft of any size or weight you should ask yourself why you want a Mk3 drone core in the first place?

On 8/24/2018 at 5:06 AM, Aeroboi said:

You ask 2 questions into a single sentence. How interesting :0.0:

I'm going to answer these 2 questions in reverse order, because lets get all disturbed :confused:

Answer to contract Question. Contracts have a expiration date. I think it's healthy to have such a thing. Logistics (which spaceflight is) is also economical. And whether it's launching tourists into space or knowing your local supermarket is going to be resupplied with tacos, sodas and broccoli each day it does need to happen based on appointment and schedule. Which is why such a system is in place, I guess... If these things are a nuisance you should just keep track of the contract expiration dates which the contract clearly states in the mission control building. Otherwise you can play sandbox mode instead of career. Then these tasks of management are not required. You may like this better! Nobody is forcing you to play career, ya know?

Answer to drone core question. Well, one could ask why there isn't a substitute of any part and its variety of form factors? This can include a probe core of Mk3 size as it is lacking in the requested size.

My answer to my own above question which should answer yours i.m.o. is that parts in ksp are used with a intended function or build concept. Of course the freedom to use any part outside it's intended function or build concept is up to the user which could use it in infinite ways as far as creativity goes.

For a proposed Mk3 drone core you should ask yourself, why is it necessary to have this?

A drone core fulfills one function in this game, and one only. It is to have remote control over a vessel and that only. The difference in between other types of drone cores whether they're 0.625, 1.25 or 2.5meters is the stability assist/autopilot functions, amount of electricity onboard and reaction wheel strength.
In my opinion nothing other then a Probodobodyne-OKTO2 (smallest drone core available) is required to remote control any vessel because even if my craft is far larger and heavier I could use both SAS and Electric charge utilities required by large using the seperate reaction wheels or battery parts themselves.

In terms of weight efficiency it is better to use a small Mk 3 cargo bay, put a drone core of your choice (mine is the OKTO2) inside with batteries, reaction wheels (assuming you would want to) and all the other equipment like science experiments inside.
You usually would want to bring any such hardware along for your ride regardless so whatever you intend to install inside any of your onboard cargo bays any small drone core could be tucked inside easily.

Conclusion: By all means, a separate Mk 3 drone core is just a scaled version of a already existing drone core that by itself is going to be heavier and therefore less economical to use then using a smaller one. And since you can use the smallest drone core for a craft of any size or weight you should ask yourself why you want a Mk3 drone core in the first place?

a Mk3 core wouldn't just be a 3.5M core. Mk3 also refers to the specific shape that Squad's shuttle parts have, just as Mk2 refers to the hypersonic-capable parts that are 1.25m tall*2.5m wide*Xm long

On 8/24/2018 at 1:06 PM, Aeroboi said:

A drone core fulfills one function in this game, and one only. It is to have remote control over a vessel and that only.

That's actually not quite true. The probes are important for Kerbnet, too, and each one has different Kerbnet capabilities, with the larger ones often having more advanced features. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.