Why does my Kerbal's chute deploy when I take off?

39 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

I installed you the craft Its bugs right?....It worked fine.Try uninstalling some of your mods

Will do. I'm thinking that since I am using the Take Command mod that somehow that puts the chute (even though it is not displayed) into the staging.

8 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Will do. I'm thinking that since I am using the Take Command mod that somehow that puts the chute (even though it is not displayed) into the staging.

Sounds like the bug I've mentioned before...  the chutes are bugged and fire with staging.   I don't have Take Command, and it does the same thing in a vanilla install.  The only way I was able to work around it was to put a small decoupler under the command chair so the chute was in its own stage.  I don't like the solution at all and would just prefer to have the chutes fixed.

1 hour ago, XLjedi said:

Sounds like the bug I've mentioned before...  the chutes are bugged and fire with staging.   I don't have Take Command, and it does the same thing in a vanilla install.  The only way I was able to work around it was to put a small decoupler under the command chair so the chute was in its own stage.  I don't like the solution at all and would just prefer to have the chutes fixed.

The problem is that you're totally wrong about that bug. Either you are missing some very important repro step, or there is no such bug -- because I can't repro it at all.

7 hours ago, bewing said:

The problem is that you're totally wrong about that bug. Either you are missing some very important repro step, or there is no such bug -- because I can't repro it at all.

I have a craft that replicated everytime…  I'll take a look at it again to see if it's still there and post back.

@bewing Here's a video of the kerbal chute bug.  Basically the personal chutes automatically inherit the firing of any stage they are associated with.  I believe this occurred as a result of people wanting to create parafoil-type craft and the Squad team happily obliged...  only problem is, the way it was implemented wrongly assumes that every situation involving a command chair should be treated as if you only wanted to create a parafoil. 

Notice there are 2 command chairs, the one on the side fires the kerbal chute when its stage is activated first.  The command chair on the top is separated by a small decoupler, so it is insulated from firing when the first stage is released.  However, it will also fire automatically when its associated staging is fired.

Here's the bug report I just posted with sample craft that replicates the behavior 100%.  

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19589

I don't mind that Squad maybe wanted to accommodate this little parafoil exploit for a fun little side game, but there should be a way to somehow disable the kerbal chute from firing if the intent of the stage with a command seat was NOT intended to be a parafoil, which in my opinion, is more often going to be the case.  

I'm thinking there might be 2 relatively easy solutions.  1) display the kerbal personal chute in the staging sequence, so it can be managed and/or disabled after occupying the command chair, or... 2) don't automatically inherit the stage firing

I consider the added decoupler on the top command chair the "workaround" that I don't particularly like, as it adds unnecessary parts and staging to a craft just to keep it from behaving like some sort of parafoil.  

Alternatively, if it's caused by a mod I have installed... happy to help diagnose which one specifically as I only had a few installed when I recorded the above video.

Edited by XLjedi

OK, tested and confirmed. The important missing repro step is that your root part is always on the part of the craft that the kerbal is not in. If you reroot your craft so that the root stays with the kerbals as you decouple, then the chutes do not deploy.

34 minutes ago, bewing said:

OK, tested and confirmed. The important missing repro step is that your root part is always on the part of the craft that the kerbal is not in. If you reroot your craft so that the root stays with the kerbals as you decouple, then the chutes do not deploy.

Yeah, but the goal is to put a kerbal on a stage... like a rover airdrop for instance.   I got craft where I want to pilot a main ship, and drop a lander with a command chair and it pops chutes.  I suspect it's the same problem that OP is having.

Edited by XLjedi

9 hours ago, bewing said:

Not sure how this applies to my situation, since there is no decoupling.  I've used the Take Command mod, but I have also just tried launching the craft with no Kerbals and boarding it with a Kerbal I had on the side of the runway. Either way, I get the same result.   The big engine is the only valid root part for this craft, so I cannot change that.

The craft is on KerbalX.

5 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Not sure how this applies to my situation, since there is no decoupling.  I've used the Take Command mod, but I have also just tried launching the craft with no Kerbals and boarding it with a Kerbal I had on the side of the runway. Either way, I get the same result.   The big engine is the only valid root part for this craft, so I cannot change that.

The craft is on KerbalX.

Maybe doesn't; but does the chute pop when you trigger the initial staging to turn on the jet engine?   ...or does it just randomly fire as you move down the runway?

7 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Maybe doesn't; but does the chute pop when you trigger the initial staging to turn on the jet engine?   ...or does it just randomly fire as you move down the runway?

It happens when I  start moving. If I hit the space bar but have the throttle all the way down, nothing happens.  It is possible, I suppose, the chute actually deployed right away but it did not fill until there was a bit of velocity.  This is not the only craft I have this issue with.

Edited by Klapaucius

@Klapaucius  I think the issues with personal chutes arose in the update shortly after the personal chutes were introduced.  Squad added the ability to deploy the chutes from the command chair so people could make parafoils.  Along with that update, the chutes started popping when staging was activated via spacebar and probably is related in one way or another to your issue as well.  Out of curiosity, can you workaround the issue by adding a decoupler under the chair?  ...if it works, I suspect your glitch is somehow related, but can't be certain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.