Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

I once mentioned how my KSP designs are similar to some soviet ones.

And today I came to this: :D (Forum safe this time! :)

I can't remember a cargo plane of mine that didn't take off after the runway ending… :P 

Do you know of any more Real Life Kerbalism? Please share!

Edited by Lisias
forum rules safe video

@Lisias, while the plane just barely making it off the runway was interesting and amusing, the sound on the vid unfortunately included some swearing. Please feel free to share a version without the sound, if you can find one, but we've had to remove that one because of our language rules on the forum. 

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

@Lisias, while the plane just barely making it off the runway was interesting and amusing, the sound on the vid unfortunately included some swearing. Please feel free to share a version without the sound, if you can find one, but we've had to remove that one because of our language rules on the forum. 

Fixed! Sorry the trouble!

10 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

What an ugly plane. 

I find it lovely! Ugly it's this monstruosity I call a "planes" and that I managed to make it to fly probably due some KSP bug! :D 

00_SPH.png

(and yeah… It takes off exactly as this IL-76!! :D )

32 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I find it lovely!

Finally, I'm finding someone else who think the same about the dear 76/78! 

Well, if you love Ily's and late rotations there are some cool videos of Il-86 taken from Tivat Airport, Montenegro:

I just love the 86, totally underpowered with her D-30, but so slim  (without counting her integral boarding stairs and self-service luggage compartments)

Germán Olano used to be particular too when HK-4544 was operating here .

Taken only two months before flight 4544.

A pretty nice one from the cabin of the good, old, and underpowered Yak-40:

Love this old one too:

When you don't have a runway but a road with a turn, RDC-bush style.

And the best (still in RDC):

Edited by XB-70A

Well, there's always the good old PSLV. Solid boosters, solid first stage, N2O4/UDMH second stage, solid third stage, and MMH/MON (of all things) fourth stage. Oh, and by my math the third stage must pull over 2 g's when it lights.

It's proven to be a reliable and capable launch vehicle, but I get the feeling that when it was designed the engineers doing the design work had exactly two liquid engines to work with, and used some solids adapted from ICBM stages to compensate.

12 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Well, there's always the good old PSLV. Solid boosters, solid first stage, N2O4/UDMH second stage, solid third stage, and MMH/MON (of all things) fourth stage. Oh, and by my math the third stage must pull over 2 g's when it lights.

And more interesting:

On the PSLV and PSLV-XL, first stage thrust is augmented by six strap-on solid boosters. Four boosters are ground-lit and the remaining two ignite 25 seconds after launch.   Source.

I'm using this expedient myself! :D 

Just now, Lisias said:

I'm using this expedient myself! :D 

Oh, Delta II 792X did something similar. 6 of the 9 boosters were optimized for sea-level flight, and were lit on the pad. The remaining 3 were optimized for vacuum flight, and were lit after the first 6 had burned out and separated. Although I admit, it's not quite as Kerbal as PSLV's booster staging sequence.

Much as I'm a fan of all the recent developments in reusable rocketry, there's going to be a not-so-small part of me that's going to miss the occasionally ludicrous engineering of the disposable era.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:19 AM, IncongruousGoat said:

It's proven to be a reliable and capable launch vehicle, but I get the feeling that when it was designed the engineers doing the design work had exactly two liquid engines to work with, and used some solids adapted from ICBM stages to compensate.

ISRO was promised a liquid engine core stage from Russia, when it was still Soviet. When Russia failed to deliver(because of the "You-know-what"), France came to rescue with its Viking Engine. After several modifications, it became the Vikas engine.

Someone said,"You know, using so many Vikas engines would be expensive... why dont we use solids? I mean, our last two launch vehicles were all-solid.."

So instead of using several expensive Vikas engines as the core and the second stage, they just put a couple of solid motors and called it a day. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do you remember when they told us that in Real Life we don't just strap parts together to make an airplane? Well, someone tell that to these guys! :) (gp to 10:00 )

(excellent documentary by the way, it worths to see it wholly).

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lisias said:

Some people are taking KSP too much seriously… :D

Some guy strapped TurboProps on a DC-3. :)

Seems like a logical upgrade to me.  Many of the deHavilland Beaver (fantastic bush plane; the “workhorse of the North”) floatplanes were also upgraded from radial piston to turboprop power

9 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Seems like a logical upgrade to me.  Many of the deHavilland Beaver (fantastic bush plane; the “workhorse of the North”) floatplanes were also upgraded from radial piston to turboprop power

KSP can be logical sometimes, too. :) 

But… Granted, I didn't found (yet) someone strapping an jet with the thrust reverted deployed in the place of a radial engine. :)

Edited by Lisias

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I could not had done better. :D 

And, yes… It's a real patent! :) The guy even strapped a solid booster! I LOVE IT! :D 

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6817579

D1TAgvXU8AEJLc7.jpg

20190319screenshot-19_03_2019-18_12_30.j

(tweet to the image author: https://twitter.com/Zephyr164/status/1104719928081276929)

Edited by Lisias
link to image author; fixed image