Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

"bada-been, bada-boom!"

Incredible hand made machine,  a big rig camper with 9 wheels and 4,000 pounds - build around a Harley-Davidson! :)

For more information: https://jalopnik.com/this-harley-davidson-big-rig-camper-has-9-wheels-and-we-1848309413

Edited by Lisias
MOAR information.

8 hours ago, Lisias said:

"bada-been, bada-boom!"

Incredible hand made machine,  a big rig camper with 9 wheels and 4,000 pounds - build around a Harley-Davidson! :)

For more information: https://jalopnik.com/this-harley-davidson-big-rig-camper-has-9-wheels-and-we-1848309413

Now that is something of an craft, so cool that Harley Davidson endorsed it
Wonder if its hard to drive with the two set of rear wheels who is also spaced out quite a bit and you only has one front wheel. 

So as of today, three countries - UK, France and China - have had secret information about their tanks leaked by disgruntled members of the War Thunder forums.

The first Goddard's rocket.

Spoiler

800px-Goddard_and_Rocket.jpgDiagram-Robert-Goddard-rocket-altitude-lgoddardscene1.jpgfdebac4e-b3c4-4ee0-a8b3

The engine is on top.

The nozzle torch is blowing at the fuel tanks below (including the LOX one).

To protect the tank from its own engine, there is a conical heatshield on top of the tank.

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

The nozzle torch is blowing at the fuel tanks below (including the LOX one).

Don't forget the pure oxygen pressurization in the fuel tank.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Don't forget the pure oxygen pressurization in the fuel tank.

And we should honor the city authorities of Magdeburg for their faith in power of human genius.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magdeburger_Startgerät

Of similar undertorch  design, but much bigger rocket, ordered by them for the first crewed rocket flight in history.

Spoiler

Mageburger_Startger%C3%A4t_Pilotenrakete

P.S.
Thus, both the first space-dedicated rocket and the first wannabe-crewed rocket in history were skycranes.

Edited by kerbiloid

19 hours ago, DDE said:

gfqf5e26wdf41.png

9ooofw7u6f421.jpg

f-4folded.gif

"I forgot"

Many such cases.

Not that is something you don't see every day. 
Now the ground crew might not know the plane well and think this was an runway launch of an carrier plane with wings who could be folded in to reduce size in the hangar on the ship. 

On 6/5/2022 at 4:28 AM, magnemoe said:

Not that is something you don't see every day. 
Now the ground crew might not know the plane well and think this was an runway launch of an carrier plane with wings who could be folded in to reduce size in the hangar on the ship. 

Was that done intentionally as part of normal operations, or was that part of a test flight where they tested to make sure the aircraft could still fly if the pilot unintentionally forgot to unfold the wings upon takeoff? I need the story behind that, because it's not the first carrier-based jet aircraft I've seen in the air with the wingtips folded up.

Makes me wonder if that new 777 variant (300ER I think?) has had similar testing with one or both of its wingtips folded while in flight. I know they do the best they can to make sure that doesn't happen, but you know how Murphy is.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:17 PM, SciMan said:

Was that done intentionally as part of normal operations, or was that part of a test flight where they tested to make sure the aircraft could still fly if the pilot unintentionally forgot to unfold the wings upon takeoff? I need the story behind that, because it's not the first carrier-based jet aircraft I've seen in the air with the wingtips folded up.

At least the Phantom was a huge mishap from both pilot and ground crew. It happened more than once, by the way.

On the occurrence from Germany, the craft was written off:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/82611

This made me remember from another nasty accident due badly trained ground crew: a lot of fighters had water tanks for water injection on takeoff. It's counter intuitive, but the water adds a lot of mass to the reaction mass of the engine, and this adds a lot of trust. The weight of the water makes this unviable for sustained flight, but for takeoff (where the water's mass would be ditched from the tanks before cruise flight), that extra trust allowed the jet to take off on smaller runways. In time, the 747-200 also had water injection (and one crew almost crashed one 747 on Greek because they misdiagnosed a engine problem and turned off the water injection prematurely when one engine failed).

Spoiler

Well, back to fighter jets. There was this incident when a old Thud (F-105 Thunderchief) was prepared by a rookie ground crew that was unaware of the water tank's feature and filled the water tank with JP-4. On the takeoff, when the pilot hit the afterburner (and the water injection) the craft experienced a subtle and powerful takeoff from its rear - leaving the rest of the craft behind. :)

Found this guy telling the history at first hand on a Google Groups:

was in POL at the time (1975-77) the 105 was (mis)serviced at Holloman. Here is how it happened: Airman M was sent out to hook up to the demin water trailer and tow it out to the aircraft and service with water. Dispatcher failed to inform M that the trailer was in the garage overnight to prevent the water from freezing in the pump. M went to the parking area where several trailers of the same type were normally parked and failing to read the marking on the CONTAMINATED FUEL trailer of the same type as the water trailer, attempted to hook up. He had difficulties with the tow coupling and called for his supervisor to assist. Supervisor, aware of the call for demin water for the 105, assisted with the hook up also failing to note the marking on the trailer with the wrong product. It gets worse. M arrived at the transient pad and the ground crew assisted with the loading of the product on the 105. M and crew chief both signed on the delivery form that they had visually confirmed the markings on the container (and of course, they had not). Nobody seemed to notice the odor of fuel coming from the water tank either. (BTW, the nozzles for both trailers were idendtical overwing type nozzles). M left the area and parked the trailer back on its spot unaware of his error until the kimchee hit the fan. Commencing his takeoff roll, the pilot opened the "water" and got contaminated fuel. The rear end went up in a ball of fire but the aircrew made it out alive jumping out of the cockpit and running for their lives. I know because I not only worked with M but I was the guy who had to put the water on the 105 almost a year later when the bird had been repaired and was ready to fly out. There was more brass tasting my water than you could shake a stick at. I will always remember this event. I've run into ex-AF pilots years later who remember seeing the bulletin and wondering how it could ever have happened. BTW, Airman M got a suspended demotion one grade but lost pay and had the reprimand on his record. M's lawyer protected him from a worse fate by harping on the number of people involved and the lack of proper management at POL. The AF was unwilling to hang everyone, so the NCOIC and OIC were transferred out and had the thing on their records. Those are the facts and yes, it did happen. 

And, now, something that I didn't knew about!

rascal_1.jpg

https://robotpig.net/__aerospace/tsto.php?page=4

A launcher vehicle that was  intended to use water injection (MIPCC - Mass injection pre compressor cooling) while flying at Mach3, before launching the payload (a rocket that would kick something into orbit).

Edited by Lisias
Better phrasing.

"What kind of bird did you say it was ?????"

Found the whole history on the following. Excellent reading!

http://airpigz.com/blog/2011/1/9/1965-super-guppy-dive-test-goes-bad-not-a-bird-strike.html

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The spirit of Jeb was flying this beast...

Edited by Lisias
link

7 hours ago, Pixophir said:

Not an air incident, just an eyecatcher:

maxresdefault.jpg

It's completely offtopic, I know. But this picture made me remind of this video:

Spoiler

On the other hand, shoving a capsule into a balloon and sending a Kerbal Human into near space is something pretty Kerbal in my book!

https://newatlas.com/record-setting-manned-balloon-flight-skydive-red-bull-baumgartner/24553/

Jumping from that high is serious business. There's not enough air to safely stabilise the parachutist and there's the risk the dude start to tumble faster and faster until the centrifugal force ends up… uh… R.U.D the guy...

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned tyops!