Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

On 6/29/2022 at 11:31 PM, Lisias said:

This is a truck to move floatplanes.

Absolutely Kerbal! :)

image-SCqloR9MLE9F9V5N.jpg

Source: https://news.autos101.com/en/catchingly-trucks-weird

Now I get the point here, you drive the "trailer" front part into the water put the plane over it, tie the plane to the truck and back up putting the plane on the "trailer"
Then you drive it to the hanger or workshop and get it off somehow. 
The baffling this is how this thing i road legal, yes it still has the plates or it could be re qualified as road capable equipment, like combiners or excavators who is legal to drive on roads but has limited top speed. 

13 hours ago, DDE said:
  Hide contents

4babc8f436fb725bc8b6b00c5e82a88a.jpg

"Muh ancestor!"

The current (ish) artillery tractor, the MT-LB, isn't having a boring life either.

Some just stolen an battle taxi or two as I assume they would cover it up to hide it as this looks a bit weird. 

gxfBndeh.jpg
Car theft I call this image but its probably an broken down car getting transported. 

13 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Some just stolen an battle taxi or two as I assume they would cover it up to hide it as this looks a bit weird. 

gxfBndeh.jpg
Car theft I call this image but its probably an broken down car getting transported. 

My dad got his Oka shipped from KAMAZ, in a KAMAZ.

Anyway, during WWII the US were awfully anxious for self-propelled AA.

3330721_original.png

P.S. Ok, I'm sorry I need to throw in more memes

Spoiler

1-015.jpg

On 6/28/2022 at 11:05 PM, DDE said:

In case the RQ-3 DarkStar was ever caught in another nation's airspace, I imagine the US would be able to get away with claiming it was a UFO.

Dark_Star_USAF.jpg

Well unless you could identify the top secret plane it would be an unified flying objects. 
On the other hand its looks so ugly people would want to shoot it down :) 

On 7/8/2022 at 8:06 PM, DDE said:

From a 1960s Soviet diafilm about 2017. Plenty of atompunk, but of particular importance is this absolutely savage alarm clock.

23685476_original.jpg

I don't see that as savage as in getting poked by an robotic hand. I'm an heavy sleeper then tired. 
How heavy, well in the army on an exercise we got attacked during the night, well I slept over it and told them they was joking the next day, went outside and it was blank casing all over the place and an M2 heavy machine gun 20 meter from the tent who had shoot some hundreds rounds during the fight. 
And obviously people had stepped on me getting out of the tent. 

In April 1978, a Tu-95KM of the 1226th Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment was tasked with reconning the weather along a route the entire regiment would fly later during an exercise. It proved worse than expected, so the aerial refueling tanker the Tu-95 needed to meet was unable to take off. Airfields along the route were shut down for the same reason. The aircraft would not be able to make it to its destination. Even that air base was covered in a bad thunderstorm.

So the crew lowered their Kh-20 cruise missile into the firing position, and started up the engine without releasing it. Miraculously, it worked, and the thunderstorm dissipated just as the aircraft arrived. The aircraft landed with just 2% fuel remaining.

On 7/5/2022 at 12:55 PM, kerbiloid said:

Probably, already was here.

T-20 Komsomolets artillery tug (early WWII).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komsomolets_armored_tractor

Reveal hidden contents

With tent

d0533fas-960.jpg

With gun (ZiS-30)

00054116.jpg

zis-30-clear1.jpg
The recoil was presumably Kerbal too.

It entered mass production just three months from when the order calling for the design was given, making it purportedly one of the fastest designed vehicles ever, although it is more of a modification than a proper new vehicle.

On 7/14/2022 at 5:40 AM, Lisias said:

Economic class in the 30's. Really economic...

Was it classes on planes back then? Air travel was so expensive it compared to first class on ships but 10 times faster. 
Then you got business class it was just flexible booking in the start. 

Was it classes on planes back then?

Dunno, I wasn't alive at that time. :D

But this made me remember a pretty good history about travelling by bus on the Amazon Forest in the 70s and 80s: you, indeed, had 1st and 2nd classes to choose when buying the ticket - but the seats were all the same, you didn't even got the right to take the window one by choosing 1st class, you took the seat that was available and that's it.

So why buy the 1st class so?

Easy! 1st class didn't had to disembark the bus and push it when it bogs down at the Rain Season. :D 

Air travel was so expensive it compared to first class on ships but 10 times faster. 
Then you got business class it was just flexible booking in the start. 

Fact. USA's coast to coast costed 4100USD, where the monthly payment of a air attendant was 125USD. Since the tongue-in-cheek tone of my original post (added a tongue-in-cheek emoticon to it).

The concept of classes on the airplane started to be used after the WW2.

To learn more:

https://cheapfirstclass.com/first-class-flights-history/

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/flight-classes-history/

Edited by Lisias
Grammars. Don't you hate this thing?

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Was it classes on planes back then?

Even in Soviet planes, let alone the Western world of cash and profit. 

K-7 had two passenger versions: 128 in seats vs 64 in lux cabins.

The planes with thick wings had them really thick, so they were walking inside the wings, and some rooms were exactly there.

See the huge windows.

Spoiler

prev1127972.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

17 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Even in Soviet planes, let alone the Western world of cash and profit. 

K-7 had two passenger versions: 128 in seats vs 64 in lux cabins.

The planes with thick wings had them really thick, so they were walking inside the wings, and some rooms were exactly there.

See the huge windows.

Hide contents

prev1127972.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

The plane who was so Kerbal it makes sense to Photoshop cruiser gun turrets on it. 
For people not knowing how heavy the turrets and the shell feed system was. even if the turret was unarmored. 
Now with two 3 gun turrets the smaller fixed guns is pretty pointless, rather have cruiser style secondary guns in turrets or casemates. 
20-biggest-planes.jpg?resize=1519,891&zo

On 7/16/2022 at 11:36 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

zis-30-clear1.jpg
The recoil was presumably Kerbal too.

It entered mass production just three months from when the order calling for the design was given, making it purportedly one of the fastest designed vehicles ever, although it is more of a modification than a proper new vehicle.

Also the only Soviet WWII vehicle that consistently came out of the factory in three-color camo rather than plain green.