Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

The Teutons wouldn't be themselves without making something perverted unnatural to the tracks.

P.S.
Or the front pair is unified with  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_tracked_mine

https://ru-m-wikipedia-org.translate.goog/wiki/Голиаф_(самоходная_мина)?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru

Spoiler

Wait...

Do they indeed revive der Kabellossteuerungpanzerabwehrkleinpanzer?

Edited by kerbiloid

So... You guys know the BMW Z4 E85? Yeah, pretty sick car, am I right?

But wait for this... The car originally came with either a 2.5L straight 6 or a 3L straight 6, both naturally aspirated. But these madlads over at a tuning company called MANHART swapped the engine of one to the M5 V10 600HP engine... Yeah. The original power output of the car was 343 HP. That's a lot of horses.

5 hours ago, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

So... You guys know the BMW Z4 E85? Yeah, pretty sick car, am I right?

But wait for this... The car originally came with either a 2.5L straight 6 or a 3L straight 6, both naturally aspirated. But these madlads over at a tuning company called MANHART swapped the engine of one to the M5 V10 600HP engine... Yeah. The original power output of the car was 343 HP. That's a lot of horses.

Hold my beer... Or rather, hold Rick Dobbertin's beer...

How about a taking a 4-banger Pontiac and cramming a 350 V8 with twin turbos, twin blowers, AND nitrous in it?
https://topcarnews.net/rick-dobbertins-iconic-pontiac-j2000-pro-streeter-s109728.html

image-rick-dobbertins-iconic-pontiac-j20

A few of you here will have heard of the B29 Kee Bird. It was flying, iirc, on a scouting mission in the early 50s and ran out of fuel. It ditched in Greenland and later the crew were rescued by another passing aircraft. But get this; at some point in the 90s (information on when exactly this happened is fuzzy) a repair crew went out to Greenland and repaired it. STILL IN GREENLAND. They pulled it out of the waist deep mud it sat in with a crawler dozer and got to work. They fixed it up using parts cannibalized from other B29s and returned it to operating condition... somehow. They started it up, began to roll down their makeshift airfield... and it caught fire and crashed. RIP. Here's the full documentary, if anyone's interested.

Here's a picture of poor old Kee Bird after the APU fire.

2014-WashingtonLand-MH-081.jpg&ehk=1Y7lM

Also, sadly, one of the crew (who I shall keep unnamed for his own sake) passed away due to a blood clot during the repair. He was rushed to the nearest hospital, but it was too late. He's up there now, flying his beloved Kee Bird.

On 7/24/2022 at 3:16 AM, Second Hand Rocket Science said:

A few of you here will have heard of the B29 Kee Bird. It was flying, iirc, on a scouting mission in the early 50s and ran out of fuel. It ditched in Greenland and later the crew were rescued by another passing aircraft. But get this; at some point in the 90s (information on when exactly this happened is fuzzy) a repair crew went out to Greenland and repaired it. STILL IN GREENLAND. They pulled it out of the waist deep mud it sat in with a crawler dozer and got to work. They fixed it up using parts cannibalized from other B29s and returned it to operating condition... somehow. They started it up, began to roll down their makeshift airfield... and it caught fire and crashed. RIP. Here's the full documentary, if anyone's interested.

Here's a picture of poor old Kee Bird after the APU fire.

2014-WashingtonLand-MH-081.jpg&ehk=1Y7lM

Also, sadly, one of the crew (who I shall keep unnamed for his own sake) passed away due to a blood clot during the repair. He was rushed to the nearest hospital, but it was too late. He's up there now, flying his beloved Kee Bird.

So sad...

Note to self: place gas cans away from radiators!

[snip]

Dude… You don't have the slightest idea about how bad the dirty roads can get at Rain Season!! :)

BuzuZona.jpg

I never got trough one of these, but I used to know some people that did:

onibusatola.jpg

20 people had to be rescued by the Army when their bus bogged down. Source (PT-BR translated to EN by Google).

Do you see that empty place where the bumper used to be? It was ripped of when the tractor pulled the bus out of the dig. As a rule of thumb, it's less worst to pull the bus from behind, allowing the bumper being ripped off that pulling it from the front, where the bumper will be smashed agains the vehicle, begin destroyed and damaging the main body.  :o

Small cars when pulled on deep bogs usually had to replace the radiator - it is usually against the engine.

Check this video, at 1:00 more or less a truck is pulling a small bus. Check the bumbers (both front and rear!):

(I had driven on some dirty roads on Amazon, but not that bad as these - lots of fun, until you get home and need to clean up the poor car!)

Check also this one:

(auto-translated captions available)

Interesting enough, on the time I lived there I got some very messy dirty roads using a pick-up like the one on the end of the video! :)

Edited by Vanamonde
moar videos!

One can't be more Kerbal than this - on the most positive sense of it! :)

(the dude trying it for 7 years is yet more Kerbal - but he succeeded on the process!!! :sticktongue:)

Edited by Lisias
Kinda of typo...

The Tu-144. Because Soviet/Russian tires at the time kind of sucked, (Synthetic rubber was used, which was more likely to fail than natural rubber)  they just stuck a couple extra wheels on the landing gear bogies figuring "Hey, if some break, we'll still have enough to support the plane, probably" There were also more to spread the weight over a wider area, but this was only one reason.

Edited by Ben J. Kerman

5 hours ago, Ben J. Kerman said:

The Tu-144. Because Soviet/Russian tires at the time kind of sucked, (Synthetic rubber was used, which was more likely to fail than natural rubber)  they just stuck a couple extra wheels on the landing gear bogies figuring "Hey, if some break, we'll still have enough to support the plane, probably"

The Mi-24 tail rotor has eight bolts, because the bolts themselves are likely to break.

So a standard Mi-24 often has four intentionally broken bolts and four good ones. This apparently freaked out many a NATO airman when operating with ex-Eastern Bloc countries’ equipment.

On 8/10/2021 at 9:48 PM, DDE said:

Broke: Molotov cocktail

Woke: Molotov napalm cocktail

Bespoke: Molotov white phosphorus cocktail

Koktel-Molotova_author-G_Zelma.jpg

Kerbal: glass balls full of a white phosphorus mixture fired using blank 12 gauge cartidges

P1140475.jpg

Trying to set the record for most Geneva convention breaking weapon, are we?

Edited by Hyperspace Industries

26 minutes ago, Hyperspace Industries said:

Trying to set the record for most Geneva convention breaking weapon, are we?

No.

Our respected partners wouldn't let to lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_the_Vietnam_War

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-phosphorous-idUSKBN1951CY

The phosphorus usage is prohibited against teh civilians and in the populated areas.

Also, theoretically, it's prohibited (like any incendiary) as a weapon causing excessive suffer when damaging the life force is its primary usage.

But as it's widely used as smoke, engineers', and anti-tank ammo, this is also a gray zone.

Also the man on the photo can't use "Molotov cocktail" because it was never called so in the USSR, it's a purely Western nickname.

Soviet army was using "KS mixture", and this is not just the "Molotov cocktail", it's a chemistry.

Edited by kerbiloid