Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

You may have heard about the Martian P6M Seamaster, the US Navy's second attempt to sidestep the USAF and develop their own strategic bombing capability - this time via flying boats supported by submarine fuel tenders. Thing is, they weren't alone...

Enter the Beriev Supersonic Long-range Maritime Bomber-Scout (SD MBR) of 1956.

1569298928_01.04444.jpg

Landing gear, including a hydrofoil:

1634943_original.jpg

I wasn't entirely willing to post this, but then someone in the VK thread asked "So, time to build this in KSP?"

On 9/21/2022 at 8:34 AM, kerbiloid said:

Da Vinci… The Kerbal among Humans!!!! :)

You see… Building a Da Vinci's Bridge would do a nice KSP Challenge, this game physics should be able to handle a small to medium bridge. One would need to use the longer Beams to minimize  a bit the part count, but it appears to be doable to me!

15 hours ago, DDE said:

You may have heard about the Martian P6M Seamaster, the US Navy's second attempt to sidestep the USAF and develop their own strategic bombing capability - this time via flying boats supported by submarine fuel tenders. Thing is, they weren't alone...

Enter the Beriev Supersonic Long-range Maritime Bomber-Scout (SD MBR) of 1956.

The Seamaster and the MBR are some of my favorites concepts ever - with the Beriev being slightly more Kerbal! (see the OP of this thread!)

15 hours ago, DDE said:

Landing gear, including a hydrofoil:

At the time I was toying with hydrofoils, I came to the same conclusion: it's way easier to takeoff from water with them!

15 hours ago, DDE said:

I wasn't entirely willing to post this, but then someone in the VK thread asked "So, time to build this in KSP?"

Sounds like a mission for the BDArmory guys! (it's KSC bombing season again!! :sticktongue:)

canned-radiation-1.jpg

The six suggested uses indicated on the label were:

1. Remove label and tell your enemy it's laughing gas.
  2. Energy free night light (illuminates in darkness).
  3. Mix with cold cream for that radiant beauty.
  4. Instant male sterilization (sniff twice daily).
  5. Use as a room air freshener.
  6. Toothpaste recipe: mix 3 to 1 ratio with baking soda, forever glowing smile.

Size: 4.5" high, 3" diameter

canned-radiation-2.jpg

Edited by DDE

6 hours ago, DDE said:

This is truly demonic.

How? I thought it was an cool idea, now stealing one of them would make you an very effective car thief. 
But I assume main use is to pack cars tighter, double parking just require you to move another car first. 

https://www-rbc-ru.translate.goog/rbcfreenews/633845ab9a79473c8c5d7efb?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=ru&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The Kerbal Science experiment.

In the Spanish province of Girona (Catalonia), 18 people were injured in an explosion during a scientific experiment conducted on the street by a local university. This is reported by the newspaper El Pais, citing emergency services.

Employees of the University of Girona conducted an experiment on the territory of the House of Culture of the city. The essence of the tests was to show what happens if you combine liquid nitrogen and hot water in a barrel. Two scientists participated in the experiment, one poured liquid, the other held metal drums. When the first one began to pour water and nitrogen into containers, an explosion occurred.

As a result, 18 people were injured. Among them are ten children. Nobody died. One of the scientists was seriously injured. There were about 300 spectators in total. Eyewitnesses released video footage from the scene.

Why not pour a kettle of boiling water into the bucket of liquid nitrogen?

Upd.
https://cs14.pikabu.ru/video/2022/10/01/166462369328042472_480x480.webm

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

How? I thought it was an cool idea, now stealing one of them would make you an very effective car thief. 
But I assume main use is to pack cars tighter, double parking just require you to move another car first. 

Well, for starters, the sign of a car inexplicitly starting to creep across the parking lot is going to get quite a few jaws to drop.

Plus, the first thing I think of at the sight of that thing is a trip to the impound lot.

On 10/1/2022 at 5:10 AM, DDE said:
On 9/30/2022 at 5:01 PM, kerbiloid said:

This is truly demonic.

I would had made a hell of a fuss on my neighbourhood with one of these when young!!

On 10/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, magnemoe said:

Put one of these on my hands and I will show you… (after leaving jail :sticktongue:)

On 10/1/2022 at 1:29 PM, DDE said:

Plus, the first thing I think of at the sight of that thing is a trip to the impound lot.

I think I would have company doing my time! :D

Edited by Lisias
brute force post merge

On 10/3/2022 at 5:28 PM, Hyperspace Industries said:

Abel Tazman found New Zealand, Tazmania, and the Philippines, but missed Australia.

How do you find New Zealand, Tazmania and the Philippines but not Australia who is in the middle. 

Its some skill, its like in KSP doing an deorbit of an temporarily space station in an polar orbit, deorbit then having all the science, you use the station as an heat shield for the crew module and drop it then below 1 km/s and it takes out the vab

He was Tazman by name and a Dutch by nationality, so it's absolutely natural that he discovered Tazmania and Zealand.

If he was an Austrian, he found discover Australia, but fail Zealand.

Edited by kerbiloid

Tiltjets.

21 hours ago, magnemoe said:

How do you find New Zealand, Tazmania and the Philippines but not Australia who is in the middle. 

Its some skill, its like in KSP doing an deorbit of an temporarily space station in an polar orbit, deorbit then having all the science, you use the station as an heat shield for the crew module and drop it then below 1 km/s and it takes out the vab

Whoops, actually it’s not the phillipenes, it’s the fiji islands, I think.

So… Someone with more than enough money wanted a new Ventador Lambo, but by some reason he likes water more than asphalt. So this crazy dude did this:

Yeah. The dude built a high performance catamaran (180MPH!!!) with Lamborghini look and feel (and parts!!).

More : https://yachting.entropia.mc/?post_type=portfolio&p=1488

Fairchild XC-120 Packplane . Incredibly Kerbal!!!  - including on how the cargopod is attached to the main fuselage!

(stack separators anyone?)

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_XC-120_Packplane

Of course, the germans also had a similar concept, but this one never materialised:

Fieseler_Fi_333.jpg

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fieseler_Fi_333