KSP Weekly: Lunar Water

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_pdz4s8ZYAn1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly! A study published online this week in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences provides direct and definitive evidence for surface-exposed water ice in the polar regions on the Moon. 

The team of researchers — led by Shuai Li of the University of Hawaii and Brown University — peered at suspected icy patches using an instrument called the Moon Mineralogy Mapper (M3), which flew aboard Chandrayaan-1, India’s first mission to the Moon, and provided the first mineralogical map of the lunar surface. The Moon Mineralogy Mapper used the near-infrared spectrum to pinpoint the signature activity of ice molecules interacting with infrared light. This helped the scientists to distinguish the frozen water from other types of ice or water in a different form — such as bound up in minerals — and they identified ice deposits dwelling in permanent shadows at the Moon’s north and south poles.

tumblr_inline_pdz4v2suJc1rr2wit_540.jpg

The abundance and distribution of ice on the Moon are distinct from those on other airless bodies in the inner solar system such as Mercury and Ceres, which may be associated with the unique formation and evolution process of our Moon. The Moon’s surface is continuously bombarded by meteorites and micrometeorites. Many, if not most, of these impactors contain water ice, and the lunar craters show that many of these were very large objects. Any ice which survived impact would be scattered over the lunar surface. Most would be quickly vaporized by sunlight and lost to space, but some would end up inside the permanently shadowed craters, either by directly entering the crater or migrating over the surface as randomly moving individual molecules which would reach the craters and freeze there. Once inside the crater, the ice would be relatively stable, so over time the ice would collect in these “cold traps,” and be buried to some extent by meteoritic gardening. Correspondingly, most of the ice was found in surface craters that are never touched by direct sunlight, and where temperatures hover around minus 157 degrees Celsius.

This discovery has several implications. For instance, it can provide scientists with valuable clues about the composition and activity of the Moon and other icy bodies in the inner solar system. Beyond the scientifically intriguing aspects, deposits of ice on the Moon would have many practical aspects for future manned lunar exploration, as it provides significant impetus for future international landings in the polar regions to drill and return samples of this ice. Ice deposits in significant quantities on the Moon could also provide resources for future lunar bases, or could also potentially be an important resource for space travel; mining lunar ice and converting it to rocket fuel could extend the reach of future missions to deep space.

[Development news start here]

First of all, we want to thank everyone who participated in our poll which helped decide which color pattern the revamp of EVA Space Suits will have. We received many responses and there was a clear preference, so without further ado, here are the results:

tumblr_inline_pdz4wr5Ay21rr2wit_540.png

The red, blue and white suits were clearly the favorite,  and as such they are now part of the Kerbals’ wardrobe. While performing this poll, we also received tons of constructive feedback on the revamped EVA Space Suit. The art team is assessing the feedback and we will show the final version in a future update.

tumblr_inline_pdz7beh3lb1rr2wit_540.png

As part of the 1.5 Update agenda, we have also been looking at other parts that are getting a well-deserved refurbishment. One such parts is the MK1 Command Pod, which just got out of the VAB, fully revitalized and optimized.  We’re taking this opportunity to fix a few small issues with the original Mk1 pod. Attachment nodes will be adjusted so that the pod nests correctly on a 1.25m stack, and the top has been tweaked to be exactly 0.625m in diameter. The MK1 Pod will keep all its features and specifications, but with this new look it will make your first rockets look sleek and modern. Just as with the other parts we have shown off, the goal of this revamps isn’t to reinvent the wheel, but to give the part catalogue a more cohesive and sleek look, as well as to optimize the texture maps and the model geometry to reduce load times. Here is a GIFs to give you a full 3D look of the MK1 Pod.

tumblr_inline_pdz4zwzZaP1rr2wit_540.jpg

Click here for the high res image.

Aside from art-related tasks, the team also started to work on improving and expanding the functionality of the Search Bar in the Mission Builder. Now whenever you make an inquiry, the Search Bar will check for matches on both the Toolbar and the Canvas. To facilitate the search process the system will create two lists; one for toolbar results and other for matches within the canvas. You will then be able to select your search results and it will highlight the matching nodes on the canvas and focus the camera on them. You can also drag a search result out onto the canvas and it will copy the existing node.

[KSP Vault]

Last week, DasValdez got ULA systems engineer Patrick Moore to talk about the Parker Solar Probe mission and Delta IV Heavy rocket while he provided realistic flight commentary as he launched his own “Deltish IV” rocket carrying a “Parker Sorta Probe”, built using stock parts in Kerbal Space Program. Watch it here!

The Mission of the Week, Jeb’s Monument, a very challenging mission that will have you transporting a huge Jeb Statue towards Duna. Piloting, spacecraft design, docking, re-entry, precision landing, and efficiency, this mission will put your skills to the test! Get it here: https://bit.ly/2MIYNgN

tumblr_inline_pdz5chQqmw1rr2wit_540.png

Have you seen cool KSP-related content that you consider worth highlighting? Share it with us and help us give content creators more exposure. :)

Remember that you can also share and download missions on Curse, KerbalX, the KSP Forum and the KSP Steam Workshop.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news and development updates!

Happy launchings!

*Information Source:

Is the Mk1 pod internal view going to be modified to match the new part model? The current internal view doesn't quite match the external geometry of the part, IIRC.

Otherwise, I like the new design, although I feel like it's trying a little too hard to look like a Mercury capsule. And of course there's always going to be a part of me that will miss the old capsule, considering all the silly places I've taken that poor thing...

1 minute ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Is the Mk1 pod internal view going to be modified to match the new part model? The current internal view doesn't quite match the external geometry of the part, IIRC.

Otherwise, I like the new design, although I feel like it's trying a little too hard to look like a Mercury capsule. And of course there's always going to be a part of me that will miss the old capsule, considering all the silly places I've taken that poor thing...

Yes it is! We will show it in a future update. 

Thanks for the update again Squad.  Glad to see this pod getting some love.  Looks like the styling on the porkjet revamp :)

No mention of the oversized IVA for the Mk1 pod though.  Will that get a going over just to make it fit?

Peace.

EDIT Ninja.  Yay!

Edited by theJesuit
Ninjad

Are there any plans on improving the new launch sites?

Because I think that woomerang could have some buildings.and I think the dessert airfield could use a hangar.because there's no way a rocket or plane is going to be built on those small barracks.

Either way I'm exited for 1.5

I like the new pod! Great work! And is that a reflection in the window I'm seeing in the gif there? 

Shame the high res pictures have compression artifacts, but it's enough to give us a nice preview. 

Just now, Nertea said:

Visual differentiation for size classes is fairly important.

Yes yes yes yes. This is a very important point. When building a craft, if the parts all have a unique appearance, it is easy to find them in the list. Otherwise it's a metter of trial and error.

I'm pumped for the new capsule, and I can't wait to see the new suits' final version!

Will we be getting a monument to the Mk 1 Command Pod, like we got for the pre-.16 version?

CommandPodMk1Memorial.pngggwMDNX.png

It's a mockup in MS Paint, but you get the idea.

4 hours ago, SQUAD said:

give the part catalogue a more cohesive and sleek look, as well as to optimize the texture maps and the model geometry to reduce load times

Defenitly 10/10 u follow the right path,keep going for a hattrick 

4 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Looks like the styling on the porkjet revamp :)

Absolutly,and I love his Design, and squad make it Stock, hurrrayy )

4 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

a part of me that will miss the old capsule

Dont worry, i be sure a mod will bring the old Parts back for the oldschool style enthusiasts 

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

reflection in the window

If thats True 11/10 or better -love it 110% 

And again @SQUADthanks for voting that the community should vote ,and hear them.

Liquid fullmoon weekend to all of u in Mexiko will Drink a cervesa on u ,salud.BK

My only issue with the new capsule is that it might be too much like its real-world counterpart for the stock game (and is the only issue I have with the MK1-3 pod). Other than that, which is just a minor pet-peeve anyway, I'm really looking forward to new part designs!

Edited by AlexTheNotSoGreat

That new pod looks awesome.  I especially like the fact the nose cap is adjusted for size.  I hope the Mk1-3 gets the same adjustment down the road as well, so it better matches up with the 1.25m parachutes, nose cones, and the conical service bay.

Can't wait to see what else is being worked on for v1.5.

Edited by Raptor9
grammer

Can we also have the retro suits please. I would rather use the current suits than the new one

5 hours ago, Dman979 said:

I'm pumped for the new capsule, and I can't wait to see the new suits' final version!

Will we be getting a monument to the Mk 1 Command Pod, like we got for the pre-.16 version?

CommandPodMk1Memorial.pngggwMDNX.png

It's a mockup in MS Paint, but you get the idea.

They should be side by side

20 hours ago, SQUAD said:

We’re taking this opportunity to fix a few small issues with the original Mk1 pod. Attachment nodes will be adjusted so that the pod nests correctly on a 1.25m stack, and the top has been tweaked to be exactly 0.625m in diameter.

Now THIS is something ive been waiting for ages to see.  Now if only the same thing can be done to the relatively recently released MK1-2 pod (the 2.5m 3 kerbal pod) revamp we got in 1.4 to fix the upper attach node as its basically unuseable without having a cone shaped thing clipped inside somewhat to hide the fact that the top node is way too damn small for normal 1.25m parts and looks terrible when trying to attach anything thats 1.25m like a fuel tank ontop.

Aside from that rant, i actually like the new MK1 pod.  Yeah its a little different, but the style is nice, and while its hard to tell from the pics, it does look like its not 100% super clean either which is a plus (i just dont like cleanroom rated space parts, put a bit of wear/tear on em plz like most of porkjet's style).  Im really happy that effort is actually being put towards making some of the uglier game assets look decent, and hope that eventually we will have almost all the older parts replaced by something a little prettier or at least more consistent with the porkjet like style which is at this point in the game's development the most consistent style which encompasses the most number of parts. 

oFqejsr.png

hElfXLG.png

CXFdX80.png

Anyways, time to get back to making more ships.  Now if only squad actually took the time to make the stock grafix not suck, then i wouldnt have to mod my game like crazy just to enjoy visuals (cant stand stock sunflare, skybox, most engine glows, lack of clouds and atmosphere glow effects)...

Edited by panzer1b

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.