In memory of Neil Armstrong

So it was just announced: Neil Armstrong passed away. This is a sad day for all of us.

Obviously, what I propose isn't a challenge proper, but I think it has its place here:

I propose that all of us that have the possibility launch a Mun mission today, as soon as possible, to commemorate Neil Armstrong's deeds 43 years ago. This worldwide "simultaneous" Mun mission will be our small tribute to honor his memory.

I'm getting started right away. Who's in, fellow rocketeers? Don't forget to post a screenshot of your memorial landing!

And godspeed Neil.

EDIT: As of today (August 27th, 2pm UTC), already 48 persons to part to this challenge!

Edited by Enture

I didn't know he died until 5 minutes ago and I just recorded a moon mission on my channel without knowing that he is dead. :(

Well, any ways you can check out my moon mission on my channel. I will be renaming it to RIP Neil Armstrong.

Channel: http://www.youtube.cohttp://www.youtube.com/user/spunky244224?feature=mheem/user/spunky244224?feature=mhee

Mission accomplished on the first try.

When I tried to link the images I uploaded to multiple picture hosting sites, they just ended up as tiny pictures of ripped paper in the preview, so I'll just upload the pictures as attachments.

Assembly finished- rocket in the VAB, named the Armstrong, ready for roll-out and launch.

Beginning Descent- the lander just after de-orbit, set for a landing around the center of the crater.

Descent is going smoothly- course correction just about done.

Final Maneuvers- slowing down to just under 1m/s for landing.

The Eagle Has Landed!- smooth touchdown complete, Bill, Jeb, and Bob were happy to have stopped, and will wait in the Armstrong lander for pick up and return to Kerbin by an unmanned vehicle I am working on that will likely be called "Neil" or "Aldrin", in honor of the Apollo 11 crew.

The lander will be left there to forever mark that crater as a memorial to Neil Armstrong.

Side note, if anyone is interested, I may redo the mission, including the pickup and return of the crew by another ship while recording, to upload to YouTube.

One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind!

Rest in peace Neil.

It's great to see all those pictures coming in, keep it up ans spread the word!

Here goes my entry:

It's one small step for a man...

F2lF8.png

Harford Kerman, commander of the Neil Kerbstrong mission.DKtli.png

Lift-off the Helcar rocket.64skM.jpg

TMI burn. DZ8NB.png

What a view! fCzSW.jpg

The complete crew on EVA. BIEBO.png

Farewell Neil, now you can fly back again to the Moon...

Edited by Enture

eM3HC.png

My mun landing in memory of Neil. done without SAS before I got into Kerbin orbit.

RIP Neil, Your courage and bravery was un-paralleled. Your a true hero and will be missed.

Edited by Felix

Here's my Memorial aptly named "Apollo 11".

Houston the Eagle has landed:

wKtfH.png

One Small Step:

88QsS.png

One Giant Leap:

MYqsl.png

omttW.png

Liftoff!:

aO3BK.jpg

T9mfb.png

Kerbin Set "See ya in a few old pal":

aQ1cS.png

Kerbin Rise:

VLekO.png

Welcome Home!:

udBNK.png

I've done a Munar landing at the exact co-ordinates of Apollo 11. 00°41′15″N, 23°26′00″.

Large images inside

screenshot99.png

screenshot100.png

screenshot106.png

Edited by togfox

inmemoriam.png

For a reluctant hero.

I pity this generation, for its lack of decent role models.

May "Curiosity" and the Large Hadron Collider find what they are looking for and perhaps encourage others to follow theirs and Neils footsteps, figuratively and literally.

Pic won't load so here is link: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/207/inmemoriam.png

Edited by joeshortall

And, as such, our friends on board the aptly-named Armstrong Station Mission, have landed on the Moon. Now, I'm going to put this persistence file on a flash drive and put it in, oh, a safety deposit box or something.

Maybe that would be a little extreme.

Oh well.

He will be missed.

KMCbb.png

4hcKH.png

Here's My Entry (and my first post too..)

"Taking yet another 'Giant Leap'... R.I.P. Neil Armstrong. May you find Tranquility again."

frVoM.jpg

This is my Pronto Lander (original design came about for a Crew Emergency Rescue Vehicle which just worked great - hence 'Pronto' being this family of ships/bases).

The triple-engines-on-struts design is suitable for landing on all 0.16 celestial bodies and probably will fare equally well in 0.17+ with minor changes. First line of craft that I've been exceedingly happy with both looks and performance-wise. The bonus that it's wide enough that there's never a risk of tipping over on anything like a reasonable slope cannot be understated when you haven't nailed hundreds of Mun & Minmus landings - and is peace of mind even if you have, I'd imagine.