[1.12.x] KSP Resonant Orbit Calculator

linuxgurugamer

On 10/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

The up/down buttons is a problem, I'll get that fixed.

The KAC buttons only make sense if you are using the current Pe or Ap of an existing vessel already in orbit, otherwise they won't be shown.  In your image, it appears you are trying to do that on the launch pad.

Yes I was trying from the launchpad:P Thanks for your work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 2:22 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Could you add a readout that shows the length of the actual LOS?

Hey Gordon, what’s the use case for providing this information?  (I ask as the author of the original web-based tool.)

On 10/28/2018 at 2:22 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Could you add a readout that shows the length of the actual LOS?

I'm not sure the LOS is the right thing to get the length of.  To me, the most important thing would be the minimum distance between two satellites .

But, which would you prefer?  The length of the LOS, or shortest distance between two nodes (ie:  two satellites)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

18 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@meyerweb To use it also as a helper in planning the antennas for relay in VAB - especially with RemoteTech.

A constellation of relay satellites uses dishes for long lange communication, the relays inbetween could/should use omni antennas for inter-communication and to the ground.

If I’ve understood you correctly, you want to make sure the satellites in the constellation can talk to each other—make sure whatever antenna you’re putting on the satellites will have enough range to overlap each others’ positions.  Yes?

24 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@meyerweb Yes. Yes.

Because of the lack of other helpful tools to achieve that.

Hmmm.  An interesting challenge, but one that does make some sense to think about and possibly deal with.  I’m pondering the idea of having a place to pick an antenna—or input the antenna parameters, for non-stock antennae—and then show their transmission ranges as circles in the display.  That would show whether satellites are in range of each other.  But right now it’s no more than idle pondering, and that idea may not work given the antenna-power combination-range rules I seem to remember dealing with in the past.

Out of curiosity, do you usually have one or two powerful relay satellite(s) that can “phone home”, and the rest of the constellation use antennae that need only reach each other?

11 minutes ago, meyerweb said:

I’m pondering the idea of having a place to pick an antenna—or input the antenna parameters, for non-stock antennae—and then show their transmission ranges as circles in the display.

@JH4C that one only works for stock CommNet and also has issues with Kerbalism

17 minutes ago, meyerweb said:

Out of curiosity, do you usually have one or two powerful relay satellite(s) that can “phone home”, and the rest of the constellation use antennae that need only reach each other?

Usually for the "normal" 1st gen relaying I use 3 or 4 similar satellites which all have at least one direct/omni (RT) antenna and one relay/dish (RT) antenna which can reach at least Minmus.
Later then the next gen relay for further distances will be deployed.

But all of them in a constellation are equal and are deployed in a resonant orbit.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spent  hours trying to get non black images for planets, but to no avail.

Mods: Only this,its dependencies and mm

Delete both mm cache and mod's cache.

reinstalled ksp

standard graphics

ksp 1.6.1

log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zx12a09kup2fh9/output_log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/745nrqebbhrud2s/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by ssd21345

7 hours ago, ssd21345 said:

Spent  hours trying to get non black images for planets, but to no avail.

Mods: Only this,its dependencies and mm

Delete both mm cache and mod's cache.

reinstalled ksp

standard graphics

ksp 1.6.1

log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zx12a09kup2fh9/output_log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/745nrqebbhrud2s/KSP.log?dl=0

Thanks for the report, I'll look at it this evening

Does this work when you launch things one-by-one like the TDRS communication sats? Does this account for the phase angle of the first TDRS you launched , then give you a maneuver node to resonate with it? I have so much problems trying ot keep a 120 degree spacing between 3 TDRS's 

4 hours ago, lextacy said:

Does this work when you launch things one-by-one like the TDRS communication sats? Does this account for the phase angle of the first TDRS you launched , then give you a maneuver node to resonate with it? I have so much problems trying ot keep a 120 degree spacing between 3 TDRS's 

Nope, this mod does not account any phase angles.

I guess you can work around this by setting up a rendevouz with the first TDRS, then burn into a resonant orbit orbit (for 120°, take one for 3 satellites) and release the second TDRS the next time you cross the AP or Pe, depending on your orbit. This is very fuel inefficent but it should work

This is a must have Mod for me to get a satellite network in a synchronous orbit with the satellites equally spaced apart.  Thanks for this great tool! The one thing that I couldn’t figure out is how to get at least 1 satellite in a stationary orbit directly over the KCS (or any other spot above any planet or moon).  To do that I created a KOS script to create a burn node at the right time and the right dV.  Using your mod with the KOS script makes this process very easy.  Hope this helps anyone trying to do the same thing. 

https://github.com/Petruchio96/KOS-Scripts/blob/master/SyncLong.ks

18 hours ago, Petrucio said:

This is a must have Mod for me to get a satellite network in a synchronous orbit with the satellites equally spaced apart.  Thanks for this great tool! The one thing that I couldn’t figure out is how to get at least 1 satellite in a stationary orbit directly over the KCS (or any other spot above any planet or moon).  To do that I created a KOS script to create a burn node at the right time and the right dV.  Using your mod with the KOS script makes this process very easy.  Hope this helps anyone trying to do the same thing. 

https://github.com/Petruchio96/KOS-Scripts/blob/master/SyncLong.ks

Nice.

Would you mind if I use it as a source to add the functionality to this mod (or another, not sure yet which one)?  with full credit, of course

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nice.

Would you mind if I use it as a source to add the functionality to this mod (or another, not sure yet which one)?  with full credit, of course

Absolutely, please do.  I'd love to see this added to this or another mod. 

• 5 weeks later...

@ linuxgurugamer
Здравствуйте! Я из России и пользуюсь переводчиком. Я не вижу настройки мода в меню (во время игры), и он не появляется. Помоги мне, пожалуйста.
Я установил мод, нужно ли что-то еще делать? Других модов у меня нет (каперник и мод, усложняющие общение и т. Д.)

Edited by Javelius

47 minutes ago, Javelius said:

@ linuxgurugamer
Здравствуйте! Я из России и пользуюсь переводчиком. Я не вижу настройки мода в меню (во время игры), и он не появляется. Помоги мне, пожалуйста.
Я установил мод, нужно ли что-то еще делать? Других модов у меня нет (каперник и мод, усложняющие общение и т. Д.)

Hello! I am from Russia and I use a translator. I do not see the mod settings in the menu (during the game), and it does not appear. Help me please. I installed the mod, do I need to do something else? I have no other mods (privateer and mods that complicate communication, etc.)

Google translate.

Hi Javelius, Welcome to the forums!   We ask that all posts in the non-international forums be posted in English.   Posting in your native language and then translating to English in the same post is fine. 

Переводчик Google.

Привет Javelius, Добро пожаловать на форумы! Мы просим, чтобы все сообщения на немеждународных форумах публиковались на английском языке. Публикация на своем родном языке, а затем перевод на английский в том же посте - это хорошо.