[1.12.x] KSP Resonant Orbit Calculator

linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So rather than setting the orbit altitude, you want to set the orbital period?

shouldnt be that hard, I just need t9 find the calculations for determining the altitde from thhe period

I have the calculations done, the hard part is getting the UI to behave reasonably 

15 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

This sounds related to something I was thinking about yesterday:

I'd like to put a ring of relay satellites in solar orbit, probably between Duna and Dres.  Since they'd be coming from Kerbin which is also in solar orbit, instead of raising and lowering the Ap to position the satellites, it'd make more sense to just wait until Kerbin is aligned correctly to send each satellite directly to where it belongs.  I haven't worked through the details yet, but I think it just involves calculating period of my target orbit, comparing against Kerbin's orbital period to find their relative angular speed, and then waiting for 120° of relative separation (or whatever angle, based on the desired number of satellites) before sending the next satellite to the solar orbit.

That's sort of a special case, very different from what this tool currently does, and it's probably out of scope for this mod.  I don't mind just doing the math myself.  But it's something to consider, in case you can think of a good way to add it.

Very out-of-scope.  You are doing something entirely different, you have a fixed orbit for the carrier (Kerbit) and want to launch to a specific position in the solar orbit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 1:00 PM, Slipstreamable said:

Downloaded version 0.3.1 and the up/down buttons, KAC buttons etc is missing. Installed ToolbarController and ClickThroughBlocker too.

Unless I'm not understanding how to use this

The up/down buttons is a problem, I'll get that fixed.

The KAC buttons only make sense if you are using the current Pe or Ap of an existing vessel already in orbit, otherwise they won't be shown.  In your image, it appears you are trying to do that on the launch pad.

8 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

OpenGL

That's probably your problem.  Delete the files, start the game one time in normal mode.  Get to the Main Menu, wait a minute and then exit the game.  The images should now be made, and you should be ok going back into OpenGL.

Please let me know if this works for you so I can update the OP

Okay, I tried it with -force-d3d11 and the results made me think about something ...

1st, only the pictures for Earth and Moon were properly rendered:
nhD8vuG.pngoDDnEt9.png

The sun was rendered somehow, but I don't know if it's intended to look like that: just a solid white circle.

Venus looks like that:
XvQhEpx.png

Titan and Uranus also have a tiny glimpse of a shine:
pHqE9x1.pnghOTA7NI.png

Everything else is solid black ...

I have a clue about that:

@Kopernicus:FOR[RealSolarSystem]
{
	@name = Solar System
	%useOnDemand = True
	%useManualMemoryManagement = True

useOnDemand ... could be the culprit.

But to have your mod create a proper cache I really have to disable that? I don't have a massive VRAM ...
And if I turn it off for the cache files to be created, they will not be overwritten then when I reenable it?

Edit:

OpenGL is the only mode I can live with for several reasons:

1. it needs less RAM, when reaching the main menu with my modded game I'm under 10 GB, with Direct3D11 it's already 13.5 GB
  2. in VAB all icons in the part listing are solid blue-haze-ish (still, with KSP 1.4.5 not fixed by SQUAD)

I will launch the game now without any parameters, after deleting the cache files ...

Edited by Gordon Dry

15 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

But to have your mod create a proper cache I really have to disable that? I don't have a massive VRAM ...
And if I turn it off for the cache files to be created, they will not be overwritten then when I reenable i

They will not be overwritten, so you could set up a test install with only the planets, and then copy the cache directy over.

That worked.

I created a text file for instructions inside my archive:

...\Resonant Orbit Calculator\Kopernicus onDemand issue.txt

Disable Kopernicus onDemand where you find it:
	%useOnDemand = False
	%useManualMemoryManagement = False

Don't forget to reenable it after the testing.

Delete the files in
GameData\ResonantOrbitCalculator\PluginData\Cache\
then start the game one time.
Get to the Main Menu, wait a minute and then exit the game.

--

The cache files will not be overwritten once created, so you could set up a test install with only the planets, make a backup of the created cache and then copy the cache directly over on reinstalling the mod.

You need at least:

000_ClickThroughBlocker\
001_ToolbarControl\
CTTP\
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\
Kopernicus\
ModularFlightIntegrator\
ResonantOrbitCalculator\
Squad\

plus everything what belongs to the planet pack, like for example for RSS with RSSVE:
KSCSwitcher\
RealSolarSystem\
RSSDateTime\
RSS-Textures\
RSSVE\

Edited by Gordon Dry

9 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

That worked.

I created a text file for instructions inside my archive:

...\Resonant Orbit Calculator\Kopernicus onDemand issue.txt

Disable Kopernicus onDemand where you find it:
	%useOnDemand = False
	%useManualMemoryManagement = False

Don't forget to reenable it after the testing.

Delete the files in
GameData\ResonantOrbitCalculator\PluginData\Cache\
then start the game one time.
Get to the Main Menu, wait a minute and then exit the game.

--

The cache files will not be overwritten once created, so you could set up a test install with only the planets, make a backup of the created cache and then copy the cache directly over on reinstalling the mod.

You need at least:

000_ClickThroughBlocker\
001_ToolbarControl\
CTTP\
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\
Kopernicus\
ModularFlightIntegrator\
ResonantOrbitCalculator\
Squad\

plus everything what belongs to the planet pack, like for example for RSS with RSSVE:
KSCSwitcher\
RealSolarSystem\
RSSDateTime\
RSS-Textures\
RSSVE\

Thanks, I'll add it to the OP and to the release

On 10/5/2018 at 7:12 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

That's probably your problem.  Delete the files, start the game one time in normal mode.  Get to the Main Menu, wait a minute and then exit the game.  The images should now be made, and you should be ok going back into OpenGL.

Please let me know if this works for you so I can update the OP

FWIW, the planet images look fine for me in both Linux and macOS (both of which use OpenGL).

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

How about also a warning, either bad ass on loading in a popup or sensitive inside the mod's UI that the Kopernicus on Demand feature is active etc. pp.?

Or provide cache file packs as seperate downloads

*duck*

There already is a check for the file existing, something else must have deleted those files

I'll think about a possible warning later