Suggestion: OS

Gargamel

When registering for a forum account, the OS the person is using should be required.   It would be displayed on the left, below their location and such.  It would only be required when registering, and can easily be disabled in the options, allowing for opt-outs.

For concerns surrounding the GDRP and other such privacy issues, an "other" option would be listed.   So when registering, the user would be asked from a list of OS's:

• Windows
  • Mac
  • Linux
  • PS4
  • Xbox
  • Other

The exact version of each doesn't matter, it just relates to the version of KSP they are using. 

The reason for this is when we get new users asking for questions or requesting support, it helps narrow down issues relating to the OS. 

Existing users would not be required to add this, and once it's disabled by the user, the line would disappear from the header.

Of course, this may not be possible with the Forum Engine, but I think it might be. 

9 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Linux

That'll be GNU/Linux, thanks. "Mac" is not an OS either. Get the names right, and it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

Personally, I prefer gently roasting or simply ignoring those who fail to provide system details and logs when asking for support. It's all in the support stickies, and if one cannot be bothered to read, one should not expect any assistance.

Edited by steve_v

It's a good idea in theory, and your session information most likely already knows what OS you're using. But what about us duelies, I run ksp in win7 and Linux (& sometimes win10). And I often browse the forum on mobile, so the forum wouldn't know which OS is relevant. 

What might be more useful (no idea if it's possible), would be for the forum to popup a notification the first time you create a thread in help and support saying "as this is your first support question, dont forget you need to include the following info to help others help you better" or something like that. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.