Lab transfer data via relay?

Hi all,

Got into KSP after a long pause. I plan to use the science lab this time and read that science needs to be transferred either via EVA or docked craft.

Is there no way to transfer science from a probe via relay to the science lab? I am using Remote Tech mod to control my probes, so I already have a nice com sat network I could use... if possible of course.

Thanks!

You have to be very careful with your wording on this question. There are three entirely different types of "science" when you are dealing with a Lab. 1) There are "experiments" that come directly from a scientific device such as a thermometer. 2) The Lab converts experiments into "data" that is stored in the Lab. 3) The Lab slowly processes the data into Science Points through "research".

So, for 1) -- how do you get the experiments from the science device into the Lab? Either you have the science devices attached to the same ship as the lab, or a Kerbal needs to carry the experiments to the lab on EVA. Transmitting experiments via radio to the lab is not allowed, because it would make things too easy.

For 2) -- converting experiments to data can only be done at the lab itself, and data can never be removed from the lab or transferred in any way.

For 3) -- to get the Science Points out of the lab you basically have to transmit them via radio, once you have enough to be worth transmitting. Theoretically, you can also get the points by recovering the lab on Kerbin's surface, but that's not even close to being practical. Keep in mind that it takes a lot of EC to transmit science points over your radio.

Thanks all for your answers. Unfortunately, I am more confused now.

Let's use the following scenario: I drop a rover on a planet and let it do some experiments, i.e. with the thermometer. How do I get that to the lab, assuming the rover is just that and not a rover with a rocket strapped to it. Can I transfer the experiment points to a probe in orbit? Will I have to "dock" the rover to a base on the same planet, orbit that "base" and fly it back to the lab?

I take it no 3 or bewing's answer is just what I do when sending science points directly from the probe with the thermometer to KSC?

Will the mod "Science Relay" help with transferring experiment data from the rover?

46 minutes ago, darkwhite said:

Will the mod "Science Relay" help with transferring experiment data from the rover?

The mod will allow you to drop a rover on a planet, do some experiments i.e. with the thermometer and instead of keeping the experiments or sending them to the KSC, you can send them to a lab via relay (needs a CommNet connection). In the lab, the experiments will be converted into data and will be processed to science points. In order to actually spend the science points, you have to send them from the lab to the KSC (again, needs a CommNet connection).

1 hour ago, darkwhite said:

Let's use the following scenario: I drop a rover on a planet and let it do some experiments, i.e. with the thermometer. How do I get that to the lab, assuming the rover is just that and not a rover with a rocket strapped to it. Can I transfer the experiment points to a probe in orbit? Will I have to "dock" the rover to a base on the same planet, orbit that "base" and fly it back to the lab?

In the stock game -- a kerbal on EVA walks to the rover and uses the Take Data buttons to grab copies of all the experiments. The kerbal walks back to a lander and gets in. This transfers the experiments to the lander's command pod when the kerbal boards. The lander goes back to orbit and flies over to the lab. The kerbal goes on EVA, uses the Take Data button on the command pod to grab all the experiments again, jets over to the lab, and uses the "Store" button on the lab to put the experiments into the lab.

Note that some of these steps could be automated by docking and using the "Collect Data" function of some mini-science containers, for example.

Edited by bewing

5 hours ago, bewing said:

In the stock game -- a kerbal on EVA walks to the rover and uses the Take Data buttons to grab copies of all the experiments. The kerbal walks back to a lander and gets in. This transfers the experiments to the lander's command pod when the kerbal boards. The lander goes back to orbit and flies over to the lab. The kerbal goes on EVA, uses the Take Data button on the command pod to grab all the experiments again, jets over to the lab, and uses the "Store" button on the lab to put the experiments into the lab.

Note that some of these steps could be automated by docking and using the "Collect Data" function of some mini-science containers, for example.

If I'm not mistaken, once you get the science to the craft containing the lab, one way or another, you will need to use the "Review Data" button by right-clicking the part the science is in, to actually add the science (convert to data) to the lab, one by one. I don't think just storing the science in the lab does it.

Well you said you are using Remote Tech....so that means you use mods then...

I don't know for sure if Science Relay works with Remote Tech....but it's worth a shot right?

DMagic made a modlet called Science Relay so you don't need to worry about all this that you are confused about and discussing...

Do the science on your rover then use Science Relay to send the experiment to any laboratory within relay range....problem solved...

Oh and just an FYI (because I had no idea) just a lab by itself has no command function...So if it isn't attached to a command pod or a probe core with command on it, you won't be able to interact with the lab....

I left just a lab on the Mun once with no command pod or probe core attached to it, and then couldn't figure out why the lab was "broken" and had no right click menu options...

It was broken because I broke it when I detached it from my lander and left it on the Mun like a noob...

It has a few options for the mod added to the game difficulty menu after you install it....

Edited by JoE Smash

Thank you all. I got it. The way it is handled in vanilla I find strange. Why build a rover or a probe if one has to send a Kerbal after it to gather the science?

Anyway, I will give Science Relay a try. If I am not mistaken, Remote Tech shuts off/replaces CommNet, so I will have to see whether those two work together.

Thanks for the advice to put a command unit to the lab. For sure I had not done so :-)

53 minutes ago, darkwhite said:

Why build a rover or a probe if one has to send a Kerbal after it to gather the science?

In vanilla, you are supposed to transmit the experiments home to KSC from probes or rovers. You can do that. You just can't send experiments to a Lab. Because that makes labs too powerful. Many players would argue that they are already too powerful even in vanilla, even with all the restrictions.

Edited by bewing

Science Relay should still work fine with Remote Tech, but it won't have any knowledge about which vessel is connected to which, so you should be able to transmit to any vessel with a stock lab or science container.

19 hours ago, DMagic said:

Science Relay should still work fine with Remote Tech, but it won't have any knowledge about which vessel is connected to which, so you should be able to transmit to any vessel with a stock lab or science container.

There you go @darkwhite, the mod creator says it should work so that's good...

Np, on the lab tip....I was pretty frustrated with myself once I read up on labs and realized my mistake, lol....

That is one of those things that really should be more clear....or labs should inherently just have command function built in....my lab on the Mun was totally worthless because I didn't attach a tiny probe core to it....after all that work of getting it there....I was pretty liquided. That was actually the first time I just decided to start my career over....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.