Kracken on a theoreticaly stable ship, in space.

nXw1eZ9.pngve ha

So this happens when I try switch to this particular ship all of a sudden.

I've had no problems with it previously, but now the cargo bay is suddenly rotating when I switch to the ship.

the ship loads in and looks normal, but a split second later this happens, then explosions and the ship flys apart.

you can see that there is no thrust being applied, and that RCS is off.

there may be forces being applied to the ship via reaction wheels, I may have set the remote tech widget to do the maneuver for me previously, so it's likely trying to line the ship up to target prograde, however there should be nothing on the ship that has enough torque to rip it apart like this.  

In the cargo bay there is another small ship which is attached/docked via the lynx mods hitches. I'm not 100% sure whether this is attached to the cargo bay or the fuel tank, from the picture it appears to have rotated with the cargo bay.

Again, there's nothing on this small ship which has the tourque to rip everything apart, and I'd expect the hitch to break off before the cargobay.

I've been switching too and from this ship a fair amount prior to this, as I was atmobraking around Kerbin. as you can see from the KER hud the periapsis is now above atmosphere so we're in a fairly stable orbit.

I'll upload the log once I've found somewhere convenient to upload it.

Edit: Log is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qE4QnnYFhxIDd8PSu0De-q-t3eMpu4rn/view?usp=sharing

KSP version 1.4.5 Linux. x64

Mods... lots, there's a list in the log.

Anyone got any ideas what caused this?

And or how I might fix it? I can maybe try copying the ship from an older save, but if there's something in the 'broken' save that I can tweak it might be easier. 

Edited by se5a

So I found a save that's a little earlier, if I switch to the ship there the cargo bay still does this, but not so badly, it snaps back into place without blowing the ship up, however if I switch away from the ship and back again, the problem comes back and the ship blows up.

Here's a picture of the shuttle inside the cargo bay:

8ulsOtX.jpg

As you can see, the link is kinked here, I'm wondering if the cargo bay is trying to orientate to this, instead of the rest of the ship.

I've tried undocking and redocking, but unfortunately it separates between the ball and the hitch that is on the shuttle, not between the ball and the hitch on the main ship, and it's the ball that's rotationally offset.

Anyone got any ideas of how to set the rotation in the savegame file?

4 hours ago, se5a said:

So I found a save that's a little earlier, if I switch to the ship there the cargo bay still does this, but not so badly, it snaps back into place without blowing the ship up, however if I switch away from the ship and back again, the problem comes back and the ship blows up.

Here's a picture of the shuttle inside the cargo bay:

8ulsOtX.jpg

As you can see, the link is kinked here, I'm wondering if the cargo bay is trying to orientate to this, instead of the rest of the ship.

I've tried undocking and redocking, but unfortunately it separates between the ball and the hitch that is on the shuttle, not between the ball and the hitch on the main ship, and it's the ball that's rotationally offset.

Anyone got any ideas of how to set the rotation in the savegame file?

There might be a way to do that in the save game file, but unfortunately  I don't know how.....

Basically though, that hitch part wasn't designed with this purpose in mind.

It was designed to hitch rover parts together on the surface of a planet. It wasn't designed as a release for docked vessels or a way to secure vessels during the high G forces of a launch....

There are plenty of docking ports, stack separators, and decouplers designed with this purpose in mind....

There are even radial attachment parts that you can attach docking ports to....

You might need to redesign....

Pretty sure you're going to get far higher G forces driving a rover around a bumpy landscape than you will during a launch.

also, this happened a long time after the launch. it's been to the mun and back since then.

The problem is (I think) that the cargo bay is attempting to align itself to the hitch rather than to the ship, not that the hitch has gotten twisted, though the fact that the hitch itself has gotten a new alignment is likely also abnormal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.