[WIP]Duna Direct -1.10.x

bcink

6 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

That is exactly correct. 

Thanks for the input. That definitely explains it. I would need to go back and make the entire leg a form of suspension and try the battle again. Unsure if this will happen or not yet :}

Docking port happening:

5AfTnkf.png

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:57 PM, Drakenex said:

A dream come true!! Can't wait to try this + ReDirect!!

Yesss!

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:26 AM, davidy12 said:

Always wanted a stock alike Duna Direct!!!

Getting there!

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, Spaceception said:

This is excellent. Robert Zubrin would be proud. :) Bookmarking this, and will keep an eye out for updates :D

Thanks! I would like to think so :)

Stage1 Engines:

SxK9oxb.png

And we're getting there... The parachutes are textured.... went back and fixed a few other things. I guess that leaves the heatshield and the IVA.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:16 AM, SpaceMouse said:

i feel like you could roughly double the length of your heat shields/aerobrakes and probably double there effectiveness and should fit just fine folded up.

Extended the lengths on these and had to adjust the widths to fit properly again and adjust the animation a bit so they didn't hit.... but it just doesn't look right. It feels out-of-scale. Reverted changes and will move forward on texturing.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:40 AM, JH4C said:

Beautiful! :o Truly that is a fantastic bit of work.

Thank you :D

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, GrandProtectorDark said:

Looks pretty cool. 

Thank you :D

It's coming together! It's actually all together!

fY0gBeN.png

Getting there :}

Lights are working. Solar panels on the heatshield are working. Added 4x built-in boosters to the heatshield on separation:

ZBZF9HW.png

Added 20x built-in RCS thruster ports on the stage 2 (tested working):

3ir34Xc.png

Still fine-tuning.

6 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Noice.

Will you do the Hab module for the outbound leg once the KRV is completed?

Probably not for this one. I think the general feeling is that there are a ton of habs and variations etc that it's not really necessary. We'll see what the future holds.

A near perfect hab for this is the LK - S3E "Duna Class" Heavy Habitat found in the SXT continued mod found on the spacedock mod site. the part is located under the utility tab. all it needs is landing gear, engines and fuel parachutes and a heat shield. then just do the tether thing and off to duna you go. :cool:

2 hours ago, dvdwilliams88 said:

A near perfect hab for this is the LK - S3E "Duna Class" Heavy Habitat found in the SXT continued mod found on the spacedock mod site. the part is located under the utility tab. all it needs is landing gear, engines and fuel parachutes and a heat shield. then just do the tether thing and off to duna you go. :cool:

True, but I've had difficulty pruning that pack properly, as most of the parts in it are better reproduced elsewhere by other packs I use. I've tried multiple times to trim away all but that part and a few others, but the way the textures are referenced is... wonky, and I wind up with blank meshes with no textures. :/ 

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

True, but I've had difficulty pruning that pack properly, as most of the parts in it are better reproduced elsewhere by other packs I use. I've tried multiple times to trim away all but that part and a few others, but the way the textures are referenced is... wonky, and I wind up with blank meshes with no textures. :/ 

You could try using The Janitor's Closet to hide away the parts you're not interested in?

Airlock hatch and ladder fine-tuned. Cockpit / navball rotation accurate. Part rotation same for all parts for easy VAB assembly. Engine thrust / fuel ratios within nominal ranges. Tested Duna entry a few times. Must deploy heatshield, slow, deploy chutes, eject heatshield at roughly 400m/s, engage reverse thrust. Lands nice. Very suspension.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.