[WIP]Duna Direct -1.10.x

bcink

2 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

If the rover is a static animation, how does it cope with undulating ground? If the ground is sloping up, wouldn't it go underground?

No coping mechanism. It would definitely go underground. The hole in the ship isn't really large enough for a Kerbal-user created rover. Don't know that we have an alternative here =/

10 hours ago, bcink said:

No coping mechanism. It would definitely go underground. The hole in the ship isn't really large enough for a Kerbal-user created rover. Don't know that we have an alternative here =/

Mmmh, just a wild thought here: wouldn't it be possible to convert that rover model of yours into one single part? Minus the wheels of course. Plop a small decouple into the rover bay, attach them wheels to the rover body and then the rover to the decoupler.

The rover body could have the usual modules like command, reaction wheels plus one or two experiments.

But since the most planetary bodies are rather slopy, I'd guess it would be frustrating to have the rover disappear in the ground all the time or have it floating in midair...

Again just a suggestion...

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:59 AM, StarStreak2109 said:

Again just a suggestion...

Alright so I'm on day 4 of trying to make the wheels. Pretty sure I said I would never do landing legs again, but this is the same thing. Whoops. Anyways, I can't get it working yet because wheels are complete garbage. Need some existing Unity project or something to rip all the transforms and rotations from.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, dvdwilliams88 said:

Looks awsome. wanted this for so long. tried making simmilar with other mods but not good. use to have a mod with folding heat shields like yours but cant find it now..

16 minutes ago, bcink said:

Alright so I'm on day 4 of trying to make the wheels. Pretty sure I said I would never do landing legs again, but this is the same thing. Whoops. Anyways, I can't get it working yet because wheels are complete garbage. Need some existing Unity project or something to rip all the transforms and rotations from.

you might look here 

EDIT- or here 

Edited by Mecripp

6 hours ago, bcink said:

Duh, I almost feel bad for suggesting this. I wish I could help you... But I never touched a 3D modeling program in my life, besides Sketchup once...

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 5:55 PM, Mecripp said:

you might look here 

EDIT- or here 

Tried this. The best I got was the rover floating around the ground, frictionless in random directions.

20 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Duh, I almost feel bad for suggesting this.

Don't worry about it - it's a cool thing and ideally this would have it. Sadly, at this point I'm pretty much over it. I'll put a node or six in there and you'll just need to create your own tiny rover with tweakscale, or just put a thing in it. I'll make sure there are some nice colliders on the walls.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:16 AM, SpaceMouse said:

This might be a bit late in the development process to mention, but i feel like you could roughly double the length of your heat shields/aerobrakes and probably double there effectiveness and should fit just fine folded up.

No, not too late. I'll check it out when I circle back to texture it.

Not finished with this:

LvMSMZK.png

On 9/14/2018 at 5:50 PM, bcink said:

You could probably split it into new tiny parts if you wanted to. Something just big enough to hold a single gravioli detector. XD

11 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

You could probably split it into new tiny parts if you wanted to. Something just big enough to hold a single gravioli detector. XD 

If someone can make the wheels work I'll carry on with the tiny rover but I've done all the possible trial and error that I'm capable of. Could be that wheels just don't function without suspension or having wheels offset from the mounts location, something - I'm just not sure. It was definitely only large enough to hold a gravioli though, lol. A single small battery looked excessively large on it.

Anyways - here's a rod, er - the antenna. Not much I can do with it but I did a few things.

mBkLPFE.png

10 hours ago, bcink said:

If someone can make the wheels work I'll carry on with the tiny rover but I've done all the possible trial and error that I'm capable of. Could be that wheels just don't function without suspension or having wheels offset from the mounts location, something - I'm just not sure. It was definitely only large enough to hold a gravioli though, lol. A single small battery looked excessively large on it.

Ahhh, I didn't realize there was any issue with small wheels in game. Haven't actually tried making any wheels yet.

27 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

Ahhh, I didn't realize there was any issue with small wheels in game. Haven't actually tried making any wheels yet.

There may or may not be. I'm totally willing to accept that I could be doing something incorrect somewhere along the way, just sucks a bit I couldn't figure it out one way or another ;]

7 hours ago, bcink said:

There may or may not be. I'm totally willing to accept that I could be doing something incorrect somewhere along the way, just sucks a bit I couldn't figure it out one way or another ;]

From what I've read, making wheels and other landing gear for KSP is basically equal parts black magic and migraine-inducing frustration.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:00 AM, SpaceMouse said:

Could be that wheels just don't function without suspension

That is exactly correct.  You cannot have zero-length suspension in Unity engine for wheels -- the suspension is needed to drive the rest of the simulation.  Likewise, very short suspension throws will also be jittery/unstable...

You might be able to get away with something like 0.1m of suspension, on a very light craft that will not be driven aggressively.  Any less than that though, and the simulation starts to break down due to the discrete time-stepped nature of Unity physics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.