Any cool up to date cockpit mods available?

xendelaar

I've been looking for an up to date cockpit interior mod so I can make an complete IVA trip..

the stock layout does not provide enough info for me to get off the planet. are there any easy to install mods available to help me on my quest? 

I can't seem to find one that works. which mods would you recommend? 

I've a friend who mentioned he was playing a game with his dad, his dad designed all the craft and my friend flew all the missions in IVA using:

he also mentioned he had a mod which added cctv cameras for more external views.

not sure if he's also using KER or MechJeb for extra info.

Edited by se5a

6 hours ago, se5a said:

I've a friend who mentioned he was playing a game with his dad, his dad designed all the craft and my friend flew all the missions in IVA using:

he also mentioned he had a mod which added cctv cameras for more external views.

not sure if he's also using KER or MechJeb for extra info.

interesting mod! will definitely check it out when I get more flight information from the interior. 

what a cool dad your friends got! doing iva missions without any information about your apoapsis sounds pretty difficult to me :)

I'm the friend :)  And as above, RPM is the one doing the heavy lifting.

There is a lot more stress when your rocket is built by the lowest bidder, with unclear design requirements and limitations, and then not being able to see much of what's going on.

*Cockpit shaking wildly*  ... er, was this stage supposed to be an explosive decoupling?

*Noise and numbers dropping*  It doesn't seem to be burning through... We might not be going to space today.

*BANG* Uh... *clickety-click on cockpit screens* Uhm... I dunno; lets hope that was just the thermometer burning off.

Ah ok then.

• VesselViewer lets you see a schematic of your ship on a rasterprop monitor
  • HullcamVDS lets you attach cameras externally during construction and view them on rasterprop monitors.
  • partcommander lets you access all the right click menus of parts still on your ship from an in game menu
  • last but not least f3 will pause the game give you a summary of what just blew up!

On 8/29/2018 at 7:20 AM, se5a said:

You can probability guesstimate it to some degree from your speed and current altitude, though there's prob information he's getting from somewhere else.

yeah,  guesstimating a final orbit is one thing, but getting a encounter with a planet with just a guesstimate is a bit too much for me. ;)

22 hours ago, Unit327 said:

Rasterpropmonitor is what you want. KerbTrack is also great if you can rig up the hardware for head tracking.

I just installed this gem and it's working great in VR! you can actually really push the buttons with the motion hand controllers. It is feaking epic! Thanks for the tip!

13 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

I'm the friend :) And as above, RPM is the one doing the heavy lifting.

Hi there friend! it sounds like an epic journey! can't wait to start my own IVA missions! I only don't have a dad who's able to build me some cheap ass vessels for me to fly. but then again. I really enjoy engineering the rockets myself! 

how do you plan your trajectories? from out the cockpit? or do you allow yourself to use map mode-view? In VR, it's not possible to exit IVA mode, so I'm completely dependent on the things i can arrange from out the cockpit. Do you have any tips on planning launch windows, and setting up nodes without going to map mode-view? 

10 hours ago, Unit327 said:

Ah ok then.

• VesselViewer lets you see a schematic of your ship on a rasterprop monitor
  • HullcamVDS lets you attach cameras externally during construction and view them on rasterprop monitors.
  • partcommander lets you access all the right click menus of parts still on your ship from an in game menu
  • last but not least f3 will pause the game give you a summary of what just blew up!

I installed vessel viewer! It looks awesome in IVA!! THanks

I believe there are camera's available in rpm. i tried them but could figure out to get the screens to work. I will have to look in to it. 

never heard of partcommander before! thanks for the tip! I'm thinking RPM covers almost all  of the options available in the game, but I must admit I haven't checked all af them... the are SO MANY buttons inside cockpit!! It's unbelievable! :D  

hehe my missions never go wrong (*nose growing by the minute) so I don't need F3 ;)

Thanks for the tips everybody! Any additional VR or IVA only tips are always welcome! 

Well, so far, we are still just trying to make orbit and do part testing & tourism on a shoestring budget of 20% science modifiers.

But the plan is to upgrade the tracking station and then have mission control (aka Dad) plot maneuver nodes from the map to follow before I jump back into the cockpit for the burns.

I suppose it would also be possible to do the eyeball mun transfer, but I'd demand a far better cockpit window or at least a good camera placement because I really don't want to die on impact or have to wait for the O2 to run out.

In terms of launch windows, I've only launched two interplanetary missions, and the games ended before I arrived, so I'm not very good at those.

I made a mod which lets you open up the map view on a separate monitor (and/or separate computer) and plot maneuver nodes which sync up with the other one, but sadly I haven't updated it since ksp 1.0. If enough people are interested I could be convinced to resurrect it.

For the moment you might want to check out telemachus / houston / mkon https://github.com/tcannonfodder/houston

13 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

Well, so far, we are still just trying to make orbit and do part testing & tourism on a shoestring budget of 20% science modifiers.

But the plan is to upgrade the tracking station and then have mission control (aka Dad) plot maneuver nodes from the map to follow before I jump back into the cockpit for the burns.

I suppose it would also be possible to do the eyeball mun transfer, but I'd demand a far better cockpit window or at least a good camera placement because I really don't want to die on impact or have to wait for the O2 to run out.

In terms of launch windows, I've only launched two interplanetary missions, and the games ended before I arrived, so I'm not very good at those.

So how does this actually work? You and your dad are sitting next to each other and he does the vessel building and node-placing?  And then you get behind the keyboard and fly the contraptions he builds? Sounds like great way of spending time together!

Setting the reward slider 20% sure makes this an interesting challenge! It will take quite some time before you unluck the entire tech tree! What’s your main goal of this career game? Unlocking the tech tree? Or visiting all bodies? Or retrieve all the science possible? Or something else maybe? :D

2 hours ago, Unit327 said:

I made a mod which lets you open up the map view on a separate monitor (and/or separate computer) and plot maneuver nodes which sync up with the other one, but sadly I haven't updated it since ksp 1.0. If enough people are interested I could be convinced to resurrect it.

For the moment you might want to check out telemachus / houston / mkon https://github.com/tcannonfodder/houston

It sure does sound like an interesting mod to have, although it wouldn’t be useful in this particular case, since I’m not able to check other screens while I’m wearing the VR gear.

I looked at your current outdated version and it really looks slick! I bet you invested a huge amount of time in it! It’s stunning! I would surely download this mod if you would make an update. :)

12 hours ago, Unit327 said:

That would be pretty awesome for me.  I'm on 1.3.

9 hours ago, xendelaar said:

So how does this actually work?

What’s your main goal of this career game? Unlocking the tech tree? Or visiting all bodies? Or retrieve all the science possible? Or something else maybe? :D

Hotseat when available, otherwise a network share to dump craft files one way and savestates in the other direction.

Just to have fun with the challenges of flying and design.  After making orbit, we'll have to negotiate some safety requirements for a Mun flyby, and then depending on the state of lifesupport tech, a Minmus landing.

To actually get all the stuff, we'll have to go interplanetary, so that's probably in the cards for 2020.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.