adsii1970's sandbox micro-challenges (New Challenge - December 16, 2022)

Kerbin polar orbit communications relay and science station: e7YZ8R7.png

This challenge involves constructing a fully operational space station in a polar orbit over Kerbin.

Here are the requirements for your space station:

Modded game Stock game
+ Station must be able to accommodate two Kerbalnauts. + Station must be able to accommodate two Kerbalnauts.
+ Station must be at an orbit between 120Km and 175Km + Station must be at an orbit between 120Km and 175Km
+ Station must rely on solar power only (batteries and capacitors ok) + Station must rely on solar power only (batteries ok)
+ Station must be able to remain in contact with the KSC (relay ok) + Station must be able to remain in contact with the KSC (relay ok)
+ Station must have one docking port. + Station must have one docking port.
+ Station must have the ability to transmit/receive at 228G + Station must have the ability to transmit/receive at 228G
+ Station must have one surface resource scanner, a mystery goo,
    container, and a science lab.

+ Station must be able to provide food/snacks for two Kerbalnauts.

Additional information about the challenge:

• This station serves two main purposes - 1. to act as a communications relay for deep space missions; and 2. to act as an observational science lab and survey platform for Kerbin's surface. Don't forget hand rails so your brave Kerbalnaut can check out the mystery goo container!
  • This station has proven to be a fun design for me and I hope it will be for you, too. With having a small crew, it allows you to leave 'em up, and when they are low on snacks, you can either resupply them with a cargo mission or rotate them out with a fresh crew and fresh snacks. As if you need additional reasons reasons to do launches in KSP!
  • Your space station can be launched as a single launch OR it can span a few launches.
  • There is no preferred shape for your station! As long as it meets the above criteria, you're good to go.

highly-recommended-rubber-stamp-vector-highly-recommended-red-rubber-stamp-vector-isolated-151086674.jpgSome additional comments to help you with this challenge:

Earlier this week, when I was doing the challenge for myself, I discovered this thread:

The thread has a link to a website designed to help you plan the communications needs for your vessels and the exotic destinations you might send crews to. It uses the relay information on stock parts and the stock system. Now I have not had time to fully explore the capabilities of the site, but it might also be able to work with OPM to help in designing a communications network able to support deep space missions by our brave Kerbalnauts.

The sandbox micro-challenge badge:

YTFHIPG.png?1

Here is the polar one station:

launch:

20210511165136-1.jpg

20210511165207-1.jpg

20210511165340-1.jpg

20210511165451-1.jpg

Orbit (altitude seen bottom left):

20210511165734-1.jpg

20210511165925-1.jpg

(P.S all parts were stock but with restock installed they look different).

(P.S.S you can’t see it but there’s a RA-100 relay antenna on the opposite end of the clamp-o-tron sr docking port.

@adsii1970 did I qualify? Can I use badge now?

Edited by Stormpilot

On 5/7/2021 at 9:23 PM, adsii1970 said:

highly-recommended-rubber-stamp-vector-highly-recommended-red-rubber-stamp-vector-isolated-151086674.jpgSome additional comments to help you with this challenge:

Earlier this week, when I was doing the challenge for myself, I discovered this thread:

The thread has a link to a website designed to help you plan the communications needs for your vessels and the exotic destinations you might send crews to. It uses the relay information on stock parts and the stock system. Now I have not had time to fully explore the capabilities of the site, but it might also be able to work with OPM to help in designing a communications network able to support deep space missions by our brave Kerbalnauts.

Wow thanks for the mention! :blush2:

This tool started out to help in the Caveman Challenge, where you play with only level 1 buildings (thus, no powerful antennae and comm dishes). So it only handles the stock game currently, but there are plans to allow users to pick/add their mod's configurations in the future.

1 hour ago, Blaarkies said:

Wow thanks for the mention! :blush2:

This tool started out to help in the Caveman Challenge, where you play with only level 1 buildings (thus, no powerful antennae and comm dishes). So it only handles the stock game currently, but there are plans to allow users to pick/add their mod's configurations in the future.

What you have so far is solid. I played around with it for an hour using the different antenna you have listed. It's a helpful tool and with what you've shared here about the future development of it, it will become even more valuable.

2 Challenges:

1: Duna Colony

build a colony on duna that can house 8 kerbonauts

Has a science Lab

Has AT LEAST 1 rover

Greenhouse and food (life support)

Able to mine and refine ore

2: Duna Station

same as before, but instead of ore and refinery just refueling

2 docking ports

emergency escape pods back to kerbin

Not all challenges are medium or hard, @DaBakonAder. The idea is to put together a variety of challenges so that those who want to take part in them can choose their own poison.

And for everyone else, hey, I will be updating the various participation boards next week (May 24-28th).

Here it is!

Spoiler

screenshot292.pngscreenshot294.png?width=720&height=405screenshot331.png?width=720&height=405screenshot298.png?width=720&height=405screenshot299.pngscreenshot301.pngscreenshot305.pngscreenshot303.png?width=720&height=405

screenshot306.pngscreenshot307.pngscreenshot308.png?width=720&height=405screenshot309.pngscreenshot310.pngscreenshot311.pngscreenshot312.pngscreenshot316.png?width=720&height=405screenshot318.png?width=720&height=405screenshot319.png?width=720&height=405screenshot320.png?width=720&height=405

screenshot323.png?width=720&height=405

screenshot324.pngscreenshot326.png?width=720&height=405screenshot327.pngscreenshot328.pngscreenshot294.png?width=720&height=405screenshot295.pngscreenshot332.png?width=720&height=405screenshot333.png?width=720&height=405screenshot337.png?width=720&height=405screenshot338.png?width=720&height=405screenshot340.png?width=720&height=405screenshot314.png?width=720&height=405

Also, when I booted up my game for this mission I got the Mun Sandcastle! This is my second time getting itscreenshot343.png?width=720&height=405

You might say, Hey Lewie! Those rockets are totally OP for the modules you launched!

Well yes,  yes they are. But I love that Cargo SS, and that SaturnV derived LV's fuel tanks (well, the upper stage at least) had a lot of fuel drained. I wanted to have a clean looking fairing, so I decided to go with the 5 meter parts. Anywhos, I had a lot of fun with this challenge, and this is the first one I've done with AVP installed! It's very nice, I love it!

Cheers! 

-Lewie

Edited by Lewie

3 hours ago, DaBakonAder said:

Bellyfloppin' starship

Yessire! Only problem is that I try to simulate the actual landing. I used all 10 action groups for it. Used 1 for extending the forward flaps, another for retracting the aft ones. Each Raptor has 2 groups set (1 for engine off/gimbal lock, 1 for ignition and freeing gimbal) so landing that thing consists of mashing my poor keyboard to kingdom come.

• 1 month later...

Eve polar orbit research station:  

This challenge involves constructing a fully operational space station in a polar orbit over Eve.

Note: I am sorry about the delay in posting this recent challenge. There were some real-life things that happened that required me to put a few things aside for a while and focus on them. Now that life is returning back to normal, here's the latest challenge

Here are the requirements for your space station:

Modded game Stock game
+ Station must be able to accommodate four Kerbalnauts. + Station must be able to accommodate two Kerbalnauts.
+ Station must be at an orbit between 120Km and 175Km + Station must be at an orbit between 120Km and 175Km
+ Station must rely on solar power only (batteries and capacitors ok) + Station must rely on solar power only (batteries ok)
+ Station must be able to remain in contact with the KSC (relay ok) + Station must be able to remain in contact with the KSC (relay ok)
+ Station must have four docking ports.* + Station must have four docking ports.*
+ Station must have the ability to transmit/receive at 228G + Station must have the ability to transmit/receive at 228G

+ Station must be able to provide food/snacks for four Kerbalnauts.

• This station serves three main purposes :
    • To gather primary information about Eve and it's surface in more detail than your previous probe and landers.
    • To act as a base of operations to explore and eventually colonize the surface of Eve.
    • To act as the eventual core of an orbital platform (additional components will be added in subsequent challenges).
  • This station has proven to be a fun design for me and I hope it will be for you, too. Here are some redes you can consider when you make yours:
    • Sure, you could do it in one single launch. I completed my station in three launches, the third launch was the one where I added my crew to the station. After all, this game is about doing things in space the Kerbal way, and so, I tend to make things that should be simple overly complicated.
    • I play with mods. I use @Angel-125's mod, Snacks! as the mechanism for life support in the game. With that in mind, the plan is to produce more snacks (food) than four Kerbalnauts can consume in a cycle. This is important for future micro-challenges.
    • The station must be designed to be expandable. Over time (and more micro-challenges), there will be other modules added to the station. For now, I ask you just to trust me rather than telling you what the expansions will be. :cool:
  • There is no preferred shape for your station! As long as it meets the above criteria, you're good to go.

LLeZpf9.png?1

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2021 at 12:30 AM, adsii1970 said:

Station must have the ability to transmit/receive at 228G

(Thanks for the KSP Visual Calculator "plug".  That's a really well-crafted site!)

I play in Sandbox (with Tracking Level III).  228Gm seems like an enormous requirement!  Is that legit...?  Is a single RA-100 going to be enough?  I'm looking specifically at the Kerbin polar station and the Minmus station.

I see Commnet lists RA-100 under Tier III as "158.11Gm" -- meanwhile KSP Visual Calculator with an RA-100 just comes into range with Kerbin at 15.8 Gm.  (I know these things are combinatorial but...  why off-by-10x?)

I think for these micro-challenges, given each challenge specifies the orbit, the minimum comms equipment list would be the simplest specification?

(It did cross my mind first that you are talking transmission rates...  but that's huge, too.)

@adsii1970  over... xcchhhkk

Edited by Hotel26

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 3:23 AM, adsii1970 said:

Kerbin polar orbit communications relay and science station

OK, I thought: why not?  Let's put a KISS space station into polar orbit.  (I already have KISS #1, 45 deg inclination (forestry mapping); KISS #2, easterly equatorial; KISS #3, westerly(!) equatorial; so why not have KISS #4, polar?)

The base model KISS space station comes with no science equipment other than the 3x Labs and an Observatory, so my engineers had to beef up the inventory slightly.  In the shots below we see the cargo supply ship, Wasuremono, delivering a couple of pieces of survey equipment, as required by the micro-challenge.

aDaFvjF.png   tUOGTJr.png   5UX8OCo.png  

Hyvy92E.png

Full list of Kit:

• Asterisk space station hub
  • Observatory module (with RA-2)
  • Cupola/Lab module (with Mystery Goo thing)
  • 2x Lab/Hab modules
  • 2x Intellitanks
  • 2x solar panel booms, comprised of 16x Gigantor solar panel arrays
  • 8x docks ranging across all sizes
  • total resource capacity: 1,160 MP; 13,400 LF; 13,200 OX; 8,650 EC
  • hab for 15 kerbals
  • M700 Survey Scanner
  • M4435 Narrow-Band Scanner

Inclination is 90.00980 and the orbit is 121.5 x 127.1 km.

7-9 launches were required, including the good ship Wasuremono.

I hope that's a badge!  And, Thank You, @adsii1970, for the challenge.  "Space is Fun".

My final task will be to compute the odds of any two KISS space stations colliding during the next ten years[1]...

[1] which is how much longer I expect to be playing KSP

Edited by Hotel26

47 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

My final task will be to compute the odds of any two KISS space stations colliding during the next ten years[1]..

Funny you should say that. I have a stock game (I know, it is sometimes extremely hard to play this game without QOL mods and parts packs) and about a month ago, I was trying to dock with a space station. Right when I was about 150 meters from the station, a piece of orbital debris slammed into my capsule! Yes, I still was able to make it to the station, but the capsule no longer had a docking port, solar panels, or parachutes. So, EVA it was!

And yes, you've got yourself a badge. Polar orbits are fun. :) 

On 8/22/2021 at 1:09 AM, Hotel26 said:

I play in Sandbox (with Tracking Level III).  228Gm seems like an enormous requirement!  Is that legit...?  Is a single RA-100 going to be enough?  I'm looking specifically at the Kerbin polar station and the Minmus station.

A little known secret is each of these micro-sandbox missions will interlink with each other once we get to some of the more difficult ones. I do have plans for OPM missions - and beyond. So, the heavy duty communications is going to be a must if you want to retain control of probes and communication with your spacecraft. :)

As I tell my daughter - there is a plan.TM

I will be posting another challenge this week and am sorry I am behind in getting them posted.

Dres Polar (Orbit) Survey Probe:  Ew8IDgG.gife7YZ8R7.png

This challenge involves placing a survey probe in a polar orbit around Dres.

One of the reasons I enjoy polar orbits is because they are more challenging than an equatorial orbit and it is the only orbit where a successful and complete surface scan can be obtained.

This has been the topic of much nerd-debate I enjoy on the university campus for several reasons. Being a Star Trek fan, we've all noticed standard orbit usually is somewhere between what would be a tropic and polar lines of latitude in the northern hemisphere. This is pretty much evident in every rendition of ST from the TOS through Discovery. In all reality, it would only provide a surface scan of everything north of the planetary equator. Not an effective "standard orbit."

Since being about 12 years old and clipping every JPL/NASA and ESL article I came across, I noticed that rarely did those agencies ever settle a satellite in an equatorial orbit, much less a "standard orbit" as I mentioned above. JPL/NASA's standard orbit, for lack of a better term, is as near to a polar orbit (90° to the equator) as possible. this allows the probe to scan all the terrain between the poles.

Note: I am sorry about the delay in posting this recent challenge. At this time of the year, the beginning of the academic year, we now have student academic and attendance reports due about every two to three weeks. This has added a lot to my workload. Also, I have a bad case of allergies from soybean dust sensitivity and right now we are in the middle of soybean harvest season in the area where I live. And now, we have COVID-19 on the campus. So, yeah, there's that. :mad:

Here are the requirements for your probe:

Modded game Stock game
+ Probe must rely on solar power only (batteries and capacitors ok) + Probe must rely on solar power only (batteries ok) 
+ Probe must be at an orbit between 100Km and 125Km + Probe must be at an orbit between 100Km and 125Km
+ Probe must be able to remain in contact with the KSC (relay ok) + Probe must be able to remain in contact with the KSC (relay ok)
+ Probe must have one Docking Port Jr. + Probe must have one Docking Port Jr.
+ Probe must have a Mystery Goo Container. + Probe must have a Mystery Goo Container.

+ Probe must have a 2Hot Thermometer and a Magnetometer Boom.

+ Probe must have a 2Hot Thermometer and a Magnetometer Boom.
+ Probe must have a GRAVMAX Negative Gravioli Detector. + Probe must have a GRAVMAX Negative Gravioli Detector.

+ Probe must have an M700 Survey Scanner.
+ Probe must have the ability to take pictures of the surface.

+ Probe must have an M700 Survey Scanner.

• This mission has a few purposes that were planned:
    • It is a great way to practice your interplanetary transfers. Since it's a probe, you don't have to worry too much about the time it takes you to complete the voyage.
    • It requires a bit more planning than either the Eve or Duna missions. It is a good stepping stone to the later missions to Jool and Laythe.
    • It continues the pattern we've started on this journey - unKerbaled missions that begins with probes. From there, we go to orbiting stations Kerbaled with a brave group of volunteers, eager to expand their knowledge of space!
  • The mission has a few purposes that were unplanned: :blush:
    • I haven't intentionally been to Dres in over three years. There's a surprise waiting for you in the orbit of Dres and I do not want to spoil it for you if you haven't been there. But let's just say it gave me some ideas for future missions, both with landing probes AND Kerbaled exploration missions!
    • Again, I do the missions before I post them just to make sure they are doable. And with this one, don't overthink it, but don't forget the basics. I have a mental checklist I use so I won't forget the important things - such as batteries and solar panels. This time, I had to revert because I forgot to put the solar panels on the probe... :P
  • There is no preferred shape or size for your probe. As long as it meets the above criteria and can send you back all the data you can use, you're good to go. Don't forget to share your images, but for the sanity of the other users, I've had a few ask me to have you share them in "spoilers" to reduce the length of the posts. 

kbjHKXl.png?1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.