Ghost Ship

katateochi

Devoid of life, uncontrollable, this translucent form drifts around Kerbin, refusing all attempts to shift it from it's path. Those who dare dock with it never undock again.

u05mAkZ.png

Seriously, I have an actual ghost ship in my career right now.  It was a station that I was planning to explosively decommission (as I'd realised I'd forgotten to include some useful things in it's build).  I guess it didn't like that plan and started acting up. 
The first odd thing was it's power levels started reading as NaN.  It seems to behave like it has power and no power at the same time;  I can make it turn with SAS power, but SAS won't hold it steady. I've never seen NaN power readings before.
The next odd thing was that if I right click on any part of it, the game UI becomes partly unresponsive. I can't click on the context menu buttons and I can't close the context menu, or open any others, but I can still pan around.  I checked if any input locks where in place, but that wasn't it. Only way out was quick save and reload.  So that means I can't undock anything that doesn't have an undock action group already setup.  So it traps anything that docks with it (thankfully quicksaves before docking have saved those craft from that fate).
I then tried to deorbit it.  It won't shift.  It's not locked in place relative to the ground, it still orbits normally. But I can't apply any force to change it's orbit, and now the tug I sent to shunt it is unable to undock.
So in frustration I thought, oh well, I'm going to hyperedit you into a 60km orbit and watch you burn.  oh no, not happening. The station and the whole universe disappeared! Nothing but the void. When I reloaded the quicksave from before the HE attempt, the ship had become translucent. Some parts like docking ports and engines are still opaque, but most of the structural parts are see through.  It is a ghost ship.
Here's another pic, note the NaN for Electric Charge.

qwfr4L0.png

I'm left with only two options I think; try to terminate it from the tracking station.  I hate doing that to anything except debris that's landed on Kerbin, but it's left me no option.  If that doesn't work, then I'll have to hack it out of the persistent file manually.

13 hours ago, steuben said:

coolness. i'd leave it in orbit and try to never overwrite the file. to have something glitchy like that without hackiness would be awesome.

I kinda want to keep it in orbit, but I'm also concerned that whatever bugs are lurking on it might spread to other craft!

12 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Not quite the same thing but...

Ggggg... Ghostship.

Those eyes! 

15 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I had this happen once. It is caused by a mod which has been updated and parts have been depreciated, or at least it was the case with my saved game.

Most of the parts are stock parts (just tweakscaled) and a few Kerbal Planetary Base Systems parts. I've not updated any mods recently, so I don't think it's that.  I do suspect that tweakscale may be the cause of the NaN reading for power level, my guess is by changing the size of a fuel cell it changed its power output and that led to a mathematical hiccup, maybe?

6 hours ago, katateochi said:

I kinda want to keep it in orbit, but I'm also concerned that whatever bugs are lurking on it might spread to other craft!

Eeehhh...

Yeah, that's a dilemma.

Just keep it there (for a horror cinema mebbe?) and if the DED XIP BUG spreads to Other Craft, just 

ERASE IT FROM THE UNIVERSE

Spoiler

Y'know, or just terminate it. ^_^

On 8/29/2018 at 8:55 PM, katateochi said:

Seriously, I have an actual ghost ship in my career right now.  It was a station that I was planning to explosively decommission (as I'd realised I'd forgotten to include some useful things in it's build).  I guess it didn't like that plan and started acting up. 
The first odd thing was it's power levels started reading as NaN.  It seems to behave like it has power and no power at the same time;  I can make it turn with SAS power, but SAS won't hold it steady. I've never seen NaN power readings before.
The next odd thing was that if I right click on any part of it, the game UI becomes partly unresponsive. I can't click on the context menu buttons and I can't close the context menu, or open any others, but I can still pan around.  I checked if any input locks where in place, but that wasn't it. Only way out was quick save and reload.  So that means I can't undock anything that doesn't have an undock action group already setup.  So it traps anything that docks with it (thankfully quicksaves before docking have saved those craft from that fate).
I then tried to deorbit it.  It won't shift.  It's not locked in place relative to the ground, it still orbits normally. But I can't apply any force to change it's orbit, and now the tug I sent to shunt it is unable to undock.
So in frustration I thought, oh well, I'm going to hyperedit you into a 60km orbit and watch you burn.  oh no, not happening. The station and the whole universe disappeared! Nothing but the void. When I reloaded the quicksave from before the HE attempt, the ship had become translucent. Some parts like docking ports and engines are still opaque, but most of the structural parts are see through.  It is a ghost ship.
Here's another pic, note the NaN for Electric Charge.

Step one: 

You: Eeeh, this ship isn't awesome. Let's go boom!

<you leave>

Ship: Hm... I don't like that plan...

Step two:

You (back): Um, what's with the ElectricCharge?

<T>

Ship: wobble wibble wobble

wibble wibble wobble

<turns off UI>

You: Deorbit then?

Ship: NO UNDOCKS.

Step three:

You:  oh well, I'm going to hyperedit you into a 60km orbit and watch you burn.

ship: Not hap'nin'.

<Total Existence Failure>

<RELOAD>

<ghost world >

Edited by HansonKerman

That's some seriously cool stuff! I'll keep it in orbit if I have something like that.

Also, if you want to decomission it, why not just build a rocket, take it to close approach flyby and ram it?

Have you looked at the KSP.LOG when you visit the ship or try to open a context window? It might point to what parts are having problems. I have a bad habit of directly editing my save file to fix things I forgot in the VAB like action group assignments. I've had cases where I introduced a typo that did odd things. I've also had cases where a change to a personal patch would introduce buggy behavior to existing craft. Like engines always showing shrouds and flames even though they're off. Just remember to back up any files before making any changes.

20 hours ago, HansonKerman said:

Step one: 

You: Eeeh, this ship isn't awesome. Let's go boom!

...snip....

<RELOAD>

<see-through>

nice summary! yeah, I do tend to be overly wordy with my descriptions about things, verbose even, in fact one time.....trails off into another detailed description.

9 hours ago, ARS said:

That's some seriously cool stuff! I'll keep it in orbit if I have something like that.

Also, if you want to decomission it, why not just build a rocket, take it to close approach flyby and ram it?

My obsession with a tidy orbits means that if it ain't serving a purpose, it's gotta go. and also why I'd be loathed to torpedo it, cos I know at some point I'd be OCD enough to set out on the tedious mission to tidy up the resultant debris field!

4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

You should post the save file, I'd love to mess around with it.

My save file is about 16mb with around 60 in flight craft and needs a ton of mods.
But as this is something of a curiosity, I've made a trimmed down instance. I've deleted all other craft from the save (so many clicks to do that!!) so the mod requirements are much lower (and so you can't see my top secret rover ;) ).  The issues still remain (mostly), although some things are a bit odd having gutted a bunch of mods (TAC-LS doesn't seem happy).  But the main "it turns into a ghost after failed hyper edit" issue still happens and it still refuses to budge from it's current orbit.
Here's a zip containing persistent and quicksave files and the station craft file
You will then need these mods - https://kerbalx.com/mod_packs/1174 (kerbaltech in that list is hyperedit, which is essential for this)
I'm running with the DLC, but I don't think it's using any parts from that

So load up the save, go to the tracking station and go to the station.  It should be facing retrograde, so first thing is switch to map mode, right click on the Ap/Pe markers and fire the engine up....and watch it not do anything at all.
Then have a go at trying to orient the station. This station originally was very stable and perfectly able to turn to a set heading, but not any more! 
Note the NaN power levels.
Then (spooky bit). open hyperedit -> orbit editor (make sure active vessel is selected) and enter 60000 into the altitude text box and hit apply.  What I get is a few seconds of the craft at that alt, then everything disappears and the navball reads NaN and the altimeter reads all zeros in red.  Then hit f9 and load the quicksave and you should have a semi transparent ghost ship. oh...it's not just the ship I've realised, Kerbin also enters the shadow realm. 
The right click issue has mostly gone away, you can right click on parts like normal, Except for the command pod. right clicking on that still has the same effect of disabling most of the UI.

I'd be interested to hear if you guys also get the same results.  

12 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@katateochi Can you get an EVA kerbal to board the ship?

And if you can, can he/she leave? :o

If they do leave, are they different somehow, something subtle that you just can't put your finger on.

After they return home the roster appears a little shorter than it did before. A day later it appears shorter again, and day by day the list shrinks further. You recruit more to it, but not long after, they too are nowhere to be seen.

Over time the roster shrinks to just one name, not a pilot, engineer or scientist, but instead just an indeciferable collection of symbols in the HUD.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.