2mm hole in ISS

munlander1

Interesting. I wonder how much effect that little jet is having on the orbit / spin rate....

19 minutes ago, Cassel said:

What if someone would try to use finger to block it? :-)

Probably get a bruise on the vacuum side. Kinda surprised it runs at a full 14.7 psi. 

I wonder what they’re using for sealant? I bet the engineers are itching for a look at the hole, too bad the OM will be jettisoned. 

23 minutes ago, Cassel said:

What if someone would try to use finger to block it? :-)

I wonder what would happend if they did that.

Wouldn't it be awesome for your bare skin to be exposed to space? It will probably either burn or freeze.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

Wouldn't it be awesome for your bare skin to be exposed to space? It will probably either burn or freeze.

With the amount of area exposed, it wouldn't really matter.  

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

Why would it freeze? Temperature is not transferred in a vacuum.

If I remember right, this has been done several times before, and it's always worked for them. I don't know how you could test a system to repair these holes on the ground, partly because creating a vacuum chamber big enough to test the modules would be very difficult, and partly because microgravity would greatly alter how you would conduct the repair. 

18 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Oh, it is transferred. Just very slowly.

As far as I know, it's "irradiated", not exactly "transferred" as we are used to see here, under an atmosphere.

41 minutes ago, Lisias said:

As far as I know, it's "irradiated", not exactly "transferred" as we are used to see here, under an atmosphere.

The heat energy is transformed into electromagnetic radiation, which then carry the heat away. Transfer is a perfectly fine way of putting it.

4 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

The heat energy is transformed into electromagnetic radiation, which then carry the heat away. Transfer is a perfectly fine way of putting it.

Transferring implies in a donor and a receiver. There's no necessarily a receiver on irradiation.

5 hours ago, NSEP said:

I read that Alexander Gerst did plug the hole with his finger until the Kapton tape could be acquired.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.