2mm hole in ISS

munlander1

16 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

no pre-launch photo of the drilled place

e-mail, logs, audio recording, interviews, the lot.

Even in 2003 they managed it.

So yeah, everyone stay calm, unless you get the powers to do something.

In the meantime, worry about getting the upcoming stuff right.

3 minutes ago, YNM said:

Instagram, "I and an accidentally drilled hole".

4 minutes ago, YNM said:

logs

"All tests passed."

5 minutes ago, YNM said:

audio recording

Sound of a unversal drill screwing a screw.

6 minutes ago, YNM said:

interviews

"That's not me".

30 minutes ago, YNM said:

Which is why I'm hoping everyone just wait for the official investigation.

I'm not sure how much I'd trust the report. Although, if Roskosmos is genuinely concerned and will undertake an open investigation together with NASA, that might change my mind.

In either case, though, not really something we'd be able to do anything about it, like you said, so "wait and see" is still the best option.

11 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

It's obviously really embarrassing if a spacecraft passed all inspections with a hole drilled through it.

I would have expected the ship to undergo a pressure test.  Just pump another atmo or so of air in there and make sure the pressure holds. 

53 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

You can't build something as complicated as an airplane or a spacecraft and expect everything to always be perfect every time.

But it should be within tolerances. 

54 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

The important thing is to always fix them using approved repairs. Concealing defective workmanship is an automatic firing offense where I work, and I assume it would be at any aerospace manufacturer. Deadline or no deadline.

Hear Hear!     I'd much rather own a mistake I make, and make the authorized fixes, rather than have a defective product go out to a customer. 

53 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I would have expected the ship to undergo a pressure test.  Just pump another atmo or so of air in there and make sure the pressure holds.

Which it might have gone through, because it would have passed that test. The hole was sealed. Otherwise, they would have detected the leak much, much sooner. The makeshift seal simply didn't hold in space.

3 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Which it might have gone through, because it would have passed that test. The hole was sealed. Otherwise, they would have detected the leak much, much sooner. The makeshift seal simply didn't hold in space.

Yes, we know that whatever caused that hole, the spacecraft was holding pressure for a while after it was first launched.

What happens to those modules? I assume they burn up, but do they orbit a few times first or is the spacecraft already on a terminal trajectory when they are uncoupled? Are they ever found partially burned up out in the middle of Russia?

Edited by mikegarrison

57 minutes ago, Arugela said:

gun

The smallest caliber for guns is 4 mm.

Also, they'd find the debris inside the station, and at 2.5 m firing range I guess the whole thing would go clear (so larger hole).

Not to mention the lining on the wall which they had to rip off first to repair the hole.

6 hours ago, K^2 said:

I'm not sure how much I'd trust the report.

If they truly still want their share of the whole thing, they're not going to play about with it.

6 hours ago, K^2 said:

In either case, though, not really something we'd be able to do anything about it, like you said, so "wait and see" is still the best option.

Yeah, let's just wait for the dust to truly settles.

9 hours ago, YNM said:

If they truly still want their share of the whole thing, they're not going to play about with it.

You underestimate the power of idiocy in context of absolute bureaucracy with no real oversight. If somebody decides it's worth covering up because it makes them look bad, it won't matter that a coverup is destructive to future of the company or the country. It's only if blame can safely be shifted onto someone else that they'll do a proper investigation. Which is a possibility, of course. But whatever findings Roskosmos publishes, take it with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I do believe that they'll try to prevent it from happening in the future, though. Nobody wants anything like this happening again. I just don't have high expectations for it being handled transparently.

10 hours ago, Arugela said:

Maybe somebody got bored and pulled out a gun and decided to do some sort of target practice in the space station and missed. Is it an inward or outward going hole?

Look at the pictures.  It's a poorly drilled hole from the inside. 

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Well I suppose if they do it shortly before the ship is due to leave it wouldn't hurt to collect more information about the hole. Soyuz TM-9 arrived at Mir with three of its insulating blankets hanging off so they can get by without them for a while.

http://www.astronautix.com/s/soyuztm-9.html

ps. The last joke (that was kind of cut off) is that he promised to devote an entire 30 minutes of "next week's show" (ie. Sept 16) to this story. Then he said that if he's not there next week, you will know the space mice got him.

But the show was not scheduled to have a new episode until Sept 23....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.