2mm hole in ISS

munlander1

• 3 months later...

Rogozin has told that even with the samples delivered from the damaged Soyuz, the hole origin stays not clear.
It will require additional experiments in ISS to find out the source of the problem.

https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.interfax.ru/russia/655542

15 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Rogozin has told that even with the samples delivered from the damaged Soyuz, the hole origin stays not clear.
It will require additional experiments in ISS to find out the source of the problem.

In a nutshell: "we are going to drill a hole on ISS to see what happens". 

Most Kerbal impossible. 

Besides the photos and sample already sent, I'm having a hard time imagining what other experiments they could want to run up in orbit. They can't exactly section the piece of Aluminum off the craft, and the hole's already been filled with a thermoset (very permanent) glue, so what's left to be done?

Besides testing specifically the drills up there... oh, that does bode a bit.

Edit: I'm realizing that probably came across more serious than I intended it, but still, what else is there left to do in orbit?

Edited by Cunjo Carl

Yes, that holed stuff has been discarded and probably damaged beyond recognition during reentry (or maybe not, maybe it survived, we don't know).

23 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

additional experiments in ISS

What, machining in space ?

52 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Uhm... didn't that particular Soyuz already return?

Yep. But the drilled compartment is ejected before reentry, and it's destroyed. Had that hole be done on the reentry capsule, that guys would be still there - there's no way they would allow the capsule to come back with people inside.

10 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Yep. But the drilled compartment is ejected before reentry, and it's destroyed. Had that hole be done on the reentry capsule, that guys would be still there - there's no way they would allow the capsule to come back with people inside.

Yeah, knew that, but... the hole in question is no longer on the station.

How are they going to do further investigation?

9 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

How are they going to do further investigation?

They aren’t. It’s a bad translation from Rogozin’s interview. He said it WOULD require additional investigations in orbit, not that they’re actually going to do it.

40 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

They aren’t. It’s a bad translation from Rogozin’s interview. He said it WOULD require additional investigations in orbit, not that they’re actually going to do it.

Aaaaah, okay.

Though... I suppose that it wouldn't be all that hard to package a small drill and some sample pieces on a resupply flight. Just make sure that you run a vacuum cleaner nearby to catch the chips! ^_^

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

It’s a bad translation from Rogozin’s interview. He said it WOULD require additional investigations in orbit, not that they’re actually going to do it.

https://rg.ru/2019/03/25/eksperiment-provedut-dlia-opredeleniia-prichin-poiavleniia-otverstiia-v-soiuze.html

"Для окончательных выводов недостаточно тех проб, которые были собраны на МКС. Потребуются, видимо, дополнительные эксперименты на орбите", - сказал Рогозин.

"The samples collected in the ISS are not enough to make final conclusions. Additional experiments in the orbit (are/will be) (probably/likely) required."
(I.e. "we still need and are going to, but are not sure if we really will.")

Edited by kerbiloid

On 3/26/2019 at 4:21 AM, MaverickSawyer said:

Aaaaah, okay.

Though... I suppose that it wouldn't be all that hard to package a small drill and some sample pieces on a resupply flight. Just make sure that you run a vacuum cleaner nearby to catch the chips! ^_^

Wouldn't they go out the whole on their own? It's in a vacuum. Or was that a joke?

On 3/25/2019 at 3:10 AM, DDE said:

That sounds alarming.

I think it's fishy. I think they just don't want to admit they are still arming astronaughts in space and someone accidently shot one off. 8)

I'll assume the next or last rounds of laws were passed to make sure astronaughts are armed in case of a school shooting in the hidden parts of the law. Just in case one of those school trip laws are passed and we start letting kids in the station. I wonder if they would implement a bandsaw and finger drilling run up to make sure no fingers can make holes either. If we only improved that surgery and healing times on lost limbs! 8o

Teacher: "Everybody get your fingers ready. We can't take them in space attached. Keep them in their baggies and cold at all times. And make sure to bring your astronaut lunches!"

If there are no fingers you can't easily shoot a gun. Maybe make that a general policy on the space station. No finger left attached!

Edited by Arugela

On 8/30/2018 at 8:41 AM, munlander1 said:

A 2mm hole has been found in the Russian segment of the ISS after Houston and Moscow noticed minute depressurization. https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2018/08/30/international-space-station-status/

That a lot of damage!

Phil swift here, and now I'm introducing FlexSpace. The all to Flex Tape for all your space craft need! 

FlexSpace can fill a hole as big as 1 Meter in a vacuum! Look I shot a cannon at the ISS and filled the hole with FlexSpace. It's good as new!

Today my special offer is you can get 1 free roll of FlexSpace with a purchase of ten for just $1,000,000. Call us today.

19 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

That a lot of damage!

Phil swift here, and now I'm introducing FlexSpace. The all to Flex Tape for all your space craft need! 

FlexSpace can fill a hole as big as 1 Meter in a vacuum! Look I shot a cannon at the ISS and filled the hole with FlexSpace. It's good as new!

Today my special offer is you can get 1 free roll of FlexSpace with a purchase of ten for just $1,000,000. Call us today.

I mean, I don't know, that's pretty cool and all but, I mean, I don't see the thing working underwater

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.