munlander1

2mm hole in ISS

• Like 4

(Probably a stupid question)

Have there been any instances of astronauts sleepwalking (sleepfloating)? I mean, the leak occurred when they were officially sleeping...

Edited by sh1pman
  • Like 2

Hmmm .... they could be used as leak indicators. They'll float slowly towards the leak and seal it with their body.

:-)

Browsing up through the thread, kudos to @lajoswinkler who pointed this out before an official excuse came out.

Edited by Green Baron
  • Like 1

So, two versions now. The hull was deliberately punctured either on the ground, or in orbit. Both possibilities are quite terrifying. 

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fmeduza.io%2Fnews%2F2018%2F09%2F03%2Frogozin-zapodozril-kosmonavtov-v-prednamerennom-povrezhdenii-obshivki-soyuza-na-orbite

26 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

So, two versions now. The hull was deliberately punctured either on the ground, or in orbit. Both possibilities are quite terrifying. 

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fmeduza.io%2Fnews%2F2018%2F09%2F03%2Frogozin-zapodozril-kosmonavtov-v-prednamerennom-povrezhdenii-obshivki-soyuza-na-orbite

Betting it's on the ground, there's more people with access, and they should be doing checks to make sure an astronaut wouldn't pull someone like this

7 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Betting it's on the ground, there's more people with access, and they should be doing checks to make sure an astronaut wouldn't pull someone like this

Yeah, I don’t think it was made in orbit, but it’s just weird that noone on the ground noticed the drill marks. And there’s no residual glue in or near the hole. Just weird. Was it all blown/evaporated into space? Did astronauts clean it off before taking the picture?

Sabotage? Anyone with an access or will to do something like sabotaging a spaceship should know drilling such tiny hole can't pose a problem.

I still think it's simply someone's lousy work. People who build Soyuz ships are underpaid. The main reason no accidents occur is excellent conservative design.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

Sabotage? Anyone with an access or will to do something like sabotaging a spaceship should know drilling such tiny hole can't pose a problem.

I still think it's simply someone's lousy work. People who build Soyuz ships are underpaid. The main reason no accidents occur is excellent conservative design.

It looks like there's another hole, intentionally designed, right next to the hole  after a 90 decree corner. Some poorly maid worker probably drilled a wrong pilot hole, then capped it and drilled the right hole and hoped noone noticed.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

Some poorly maid worker probably drilled a wrong pilot hole, then capped it and drilled the right hole and hoped noone noticed.

I wonder what this guy is thinking now that half the World had noticed it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

I wonder what this guy is thinking now that half the World had noticed it!

"Whoops."

- Russian Spacecraft Builder, 2018

• Like 10

What surprises me is how sloppy the sealing apparently is. If I had to seal the hole, I'd weld it or use a composite approach. Even simple soldering would do the trick. This looks like someone stuffed a cotton plug and painted over it, so it came loose after few months.

Welding a thin aluminium sheet is not trivial. And such a spot could probably be seen from afar by the big bulge. The order of the hour was probably "make it invisible" not "seal it professionally" :-/

I am mean.

Edited by Green Baron
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Welding a thin aluminium sheet is not trivial. And such a spot could probably be seen from afar by the big bulge. The order of the hour was probably "make it invisible" not "seal it professionally" :-/

I am mean.

True, but whatever the answer is, I'm pretty sure I could do it with solder. However, as you said, "make it invisible ASAP" was probably the exact thing that was ordered. :(

22 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

Some poorly maid worker probably drilled a wrong pilot hole, then capped it and drilled the right hole and hoped noone noticed.

(they were not very sober to notice XD)

14 hours ago, Green Baron said:

The order of the hour was probably "make it invisible"

The drill trails around the hole, however, are visible.

Spoiler

At least a janitor, that natural enemy of IT crew, can't wield a mop there.

• Like 1

There's now a bunch of click bait articles saying the ISS was sabotaged :mad:

• Like 2

A common repair on aircraft, assuming the mis-drilled hole poses no structural danger, would be to plug the hole with a rivet and sealant. If there is a structural issue, some sort of doubler would be applied.

Mis-drilled holes happen, and the worst thing a manufacturer can do is punish the worker who made the mistake. That leads to things like this at best.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wizzlebippi said:

A common repair on aircraft, assuming the mis-drilled hole poses no structural danger, would be to plug the hole with a rivet and sealant. If there is a structural issue, some sort of doubler would be applied.

Mis-drilled holes happen, and the worst thing a manufacturer can do is punish the worker who made the mistake. That leads to things like this at best.

Well, it depends on how often it happens. If the same worker makes the same mistake over and over....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Well, it depends on how often it happens. If the same worker makes the same mistake over and over....

“Yeah, ok, I drilled a hole in the wrong spot. It’s not like when I hammered the accelerometers in upside down....”

• Like 13

According to the interlocutor of the agency, at the stage of assembling the ship, no 2-mm drill holes are required. He explained that often the details are adjusted to each other by a file, but not by a drill.

Earlier, a source at RIA Novosti reported that among the documents examined by the commission there were no mention of works during which a hole might appear. In this connection, two versions of what has happened are put forward. The first: the technician wanted to conduct works that are not provided for in the design documentation, and then conspired with the person who supervises the work, who did not record any records. The second: a hole made by a loner who specifically penetrated the ship for an unknown purpose.

It looks more and more like deliberate sabotage.

Edited by sh1pman