2mm hole in ISS

munlander1

2 hours ago, Tw1 said:

I love that they used tape on it. Fancy tape, but still tape. 

"Space grade" duct tape has save more than an astronaut' SAS in the past!

Spoiler

Always have a gum and a duct tape in that space. Toffee are nice, too.

Btw, if they also had cigarettes and matches, they could easily find the hole by the smoke flow.

While a semi-deflated colored balloon is a natural indicator of depressurization. When air around leaks out, it inflates.

So, the space kit should include: duct tape, gum or toffee, cigarettes and matches, and coffee.

If you see the red balloon has inflated, make coffee. Drinking coffee, chewing a gum, light a cigarette, watch where the smoke is flowing.
Then make a patch of the chewed gum and a piece of duct tape, check if the air leakage is stopped, finish the coffee.
Fly like a sir.

Edited by kerbiloid

39 minutes ago, Vexillar said:

isn't the descent module pressurised? 

I think so.

So do they suit up before returning,

I think so as well. But they probably suit up before entering the descent module. It's narrow in there ...

or will they have to hold their breath :rolleyes: while crawling through? :confused:

I doubt it.

Possible problems could be that even through a small hole plasma could enter during reentry and make the hole bigger. Which, as we sadly know, never does no good not. But it is not a thing in this case.

Thanks for the assurance, @Green Baron.  The "hold their breath" was of course sarcasm, but if the normal procedure is to suit up before departure, and there's an airlock between the ISS docking module and the Soyuz orbital module, then I feel more relaxed for the folk up there.  As it's been pointed out that the orbital module is jettisoned on/before reentry, then there's no worries about plasma burn-through for the crewed section of the craft.

I'm old enough to remember Apollo 13 and was (along with the peeps in mission control and a lot more watching on live TV) turning blue waiting for the radio comms blackout to end so we'd know they got back safely!

And thanks @tater for the photos.  I just need to go stock up on duct tape.

Edited by Vexillar
spelling

I'm now more inclined to think the hole we see in the tweet is either widened by drill for some reason, or it existed before due to sloppy work (you can see the drill grinding marks), and became a problem after the impactor compromised the outermost pressure vessel, if there is such arrangement on Soyuz.

The hole does not look like it was made by an impactor. Entry holes are small, inner holes are always larger and quite bad looking. If this is the resulting inner hole, the entry hole would be incredibly tiny which makes the impactor even smaller, microscopic. Such impactor would never do any damage besides making a dent.

10 hours ago, Vexillar said:

That's good to know... but wait... isn't the descent module pressurised?  So do they suit up before returning, or will they have to hold their breath :rolleyes: while crawling through? :confused:

They plugged the leak.

But yes, they do suit up to land. That goes back to Soyuz 11, when the seal between the orbital module and the descent module stuck open. As soon as they jettisoned the orbital module they lost all their air, and the three cosmonauts died.

Really ? No debris needed for a hole in a spaceship ?

*pop* "Oh, no problem, lend me a finger ..."

*pop* "Hey guys, got more resin and gauze ?"

*pop* "Know what ? This is getting annoying ..."

*poppoppop* ... pfffffffffff .....

"Iss, this is Houston, do you read ?"

"Iss, this is Houston, do you read ?"

"Iss, this is ..." and so on :-)

Edited by Green Baron

29 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Did someone stick a finger in the hole?

See farther up in the thread. It was spread that Gerst put his finger on (not in because too small) the hole while the repair was prepared.

But this might just be hoax from the social networks, it is officially unconfirmed afaik. Otoh, why not ... thermometer shows below 0 there (though it is pretty hot) and the pressure difference is small, a fraction of that of bicycle tyre.

Edited by Green Baron

5 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

See farther up in the thread. It was spread that Gerst put his finger on (not in because too small) the hole while the repair was prepared.

But this might just be hoax from the social networks, it is officially unconfirmed afaik. Otoh, why not ... thermometer shows below 0 there (though it is pretty hot) and the pressure difference is small, a fraction of that of bicycle tyre.

If he did, he just touched space.

The pressure will be kinda big though.

54 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Huh, i used to have the impression that atmo pressure is really high.

Would 10t/m² sound better :-) ?

The small hole does not need much force to close. With a hole of let's say 10*10cm people on the ISS would have been in big steaming ehm trouble. For just enough time to realize what's going on before falling unconscious, i would assume.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.