2mm hole in ISS

munlander1

2 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

Keep in mind, modern Russia is absolutely no Soviet Union. Their economy is basically the same as Mexico, who isnt trying to maintain a prestige space industry.

It's worth noting that Mexico builds on the order of 300,000 cars and trucks per month. Mexico has a pretty strong competency of manufacturing but this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

The headline of this spaceflight now article is funny because of what it implies the commander could have also said:

"Station commander avoids eye contact, says it probably wasn't us"

"Station commander mumbles something about "bad actors," says it wasn't his fault if his crew did drill a hole in the station"

"Station commander starts loudly talking about weather when asked about whether his crew drilled hole in station"

1 hour ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

The headline of this spaceflight now article is funny because of what it implies the commander could have also said:

"Station commander avoids eye contact, says it probably wasn't us"

"Station commander mumbles something about "bad actors," says it wasn't his fault if his crew did drill a hole in the station"

"Station commander starts loudly talking about weather when asked about whether his crew drilled hole in station"

I suppose if some crew member desperately wanted to go home, a slow hidden leak could be a way to force them to abandon the mission. But drilling it into one of the spaceships that the crew would abandon in is problematical for that scenario.

3 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I suppose if some crew member desperately wanted to go home, a slow hidden leak could be a way to force them to abandon the mission. But drilling it into one of the spaceships that the crew would abandon in is problematical for that scenario.

If the guy really knows about space crafts and engineering (what's is expected from a Astronaut/Cosmonaut), he would do the sabotage in something expendable to avoid compromising future missions. The compromised part is expendable itself, don't playing any part on the most dangerous leg of the travel (reentry). And the hole itself is enough to trigger an alarm, but not to do any harm neither to the crew, neither to ISS.

So, it would fit the requirements I think a hypothetical astro-saboteur with a strong determination but yet faithful to his profession and fellow crew-mates would had.

But… Boy, this is almost unbelievable. These guys are screened - kicking butts out of this world is extraordinarily expensive. And keeping such butts wiped and clean there (and bringing them home safely) is yet more expensive.

And since currently there're no vehicle available in the World to (re)build a new Station, failure is just not an option. This wold be the last nail on NASA's coffin, and they know it.

I would check cautiously the source of such theories looking for a plot inside the plot.

— POST - EDIT --

Mutinies, however, are not a novelty on the NASA History….

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/mutiny-space-why-these-skylab-astronauts-never-flew-again-180962023/

Edited by Lisias
moar links!

5 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

The crew can deny it... but their story obviously has a hole in it.

On 9/8/2018 at 4:59 PM, Cunjo Carl said:

Good call! I decided to dig into this and found confirmation. https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2018/08/30/international-space-station-status-2/

It feels like a really sensible choice because kapton tape is excellent in terms of high-temp performance, vacuum stability, radiation hardness, high voltages (dielectric strength), chemical resistance, and looking awesome (it's a translucent orange/amber). If there's one thing I've learned from commercial space suit development it's that looking awesome in space is important! The big downside of Kapton is for a given flexibility it's much less elastic and tough than duct tape, and lacks the abrasion/cut resistance of Aluminum tape.

I'm a ductape makes the world go 'round guy so for me that picture is amazing, @Man in the Mun! I had never considered the panel fasteners would pop up on a plane. Can I ask why something simpler like lever latches aren't used?

@kerbiloid, agreed about the lack of center punching. I think that makes it unlikely to have been done 'mistakenly on purpose'.

No no no Kapton is lethal in high temp. We've actually stopped using Kapton cables as they caused aircraft to crash.Once there is an electrical arc or spark, the insulation goes up in flames and spreads down the whole cable.

Im trying to find the video but Ive seen footage from an accident data recorder "black box" where you can hear the aircrew say they lost control of their aircraft as a Kapton fire broke out in the back end and burnt through the fly-by-wire for the tailerons. Luckily they had ejector seats. 

Edited by Man in the Mun

23 minutes ago, Man in the Mun said:

We've actually stopped using Kapton cables as they caused aircraft to crash.

They do have problems with both high-humidity and high-temperature (FAA study), but you don't have both of these present at once on spacecrafts.

Though I guess it'd be a good proof whether they've kept the ISS well enough, and not the mess that was Mir !

From that statement: (hmm I don’t see a button for an unattributed quote on mobile)

They affirmed the necessity of further close interaction between NASA and Roscosmos technical teams in identifying and eliminating the cause of the leak,” (emphasis mine)

Given that this is a Russian factory, that should make whoever drilled the hole very, very afraid 

7 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

They affirmed the necessity of further close interaction between NASA and Roscosmos technical teams in identifying and eliminating the cause of the leak,” (emphasis mine)

EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE

dalek__exterminate__campaign_by_degaspiv

Maybe this is an early example of Astronauts/Cosmonauts going insane in space. Who knows how many 2mm holes in obscure areas of spacecraft there will be in the age of Space Colonization.

It's obviously really embarrassing if a spacecraft passed all inspections with a hole drilled through it. I can see why there is some appeal to the idea that just maybe it was done by someone on the crew. It was clearly done from the inside.

Do they even have drills up there? I assume they have power screwdrivers and such, but that was made by a high speed drill.

7 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

It's obviously really embarrassing if a spacecraft passed all inspections with a hole drilled through it.

I think if they had an accident on-ground during manufacturing they'd just try to repair it by filling the holes in rather than discard entirely what they've built and start again. (obviously not for the base sheet metal)

6 minutes ago, YNM said:

I think if they had an accident on-ground during manufacturing they'd just try to repair it by filling the holes in rather than discard entirely what they've built and start again. (obviously not for the base sheet metal)

I'm sure there are approved repair procedures.

Unless a deadline.

Say, somebody on ground had to quickly correct something, pried the cover off, put there a speedy drill under an uncomfy angle and without clear vision of the place to drill, it slipped and touched the hull.
Maybe even he didn't notice that and touched it twice. When he realized the oops, he quickly put a deadline patch and returned the cover back to its place.

(Just a version)

Edited by kerbiloid

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Unless a deadline.

Say, somebody on ground had to quickly correct something, pried the cover off, put there a speedy drill under an uncomfy angle and without clear vision of the place to drill, it slipped and touched the hull.
Maybe even he didn't notice that and touched it twice. When he realized the oops, he quickly put a deadline patch and returned the cover back to its place.

(Just a version)

I can't pretend I don't know what you mean by "a deadline patch", but that's exactly the kind of thing we try very hard to convince people to never, ever do. No matter what.

2 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I can't pretend I don't know what you mean by "a deadline patch", but that's exactly the kind of thing we try very hard to convince people to never, ever do. No matter what.

As well as drilling holes from inside sitting in a pressurized hull in the middle of nothing.

7 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

As well as drilling holes from inside sitting in a pressurized hull in the middle of nothing.

Yeah, but mistakes get made. You can't build something as complicated as an airplane or a spacecraft and expect everything to always be perfect every time. The important thing is to always fix them using approved repairs. Concealing defective workmanship is an automatic firing offense where I work, and I assume it would be at any aerospace manufacturer. Deadline or no deadline.

Edited by mikegarrison

4 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Concealing defective workmanship is an automatic firing offense where I work, and I assume it would be at any aerospace manufacturer. Deadline or no deadline.

A universal deadline shifter "unidentified foreign body in the fuel system" was invented not by IT.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.