[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Decalc'o'mania

Astronants

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2019 at 2:55 PM, Astronants said:

Yep, actually managed to find it : https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Astronants/Decalc-o-Mania/master/Add more customs.cfg

just copy-paste the text in a .cfg file and follow the instructions to add your own textures.

Edit: I updated the mod, you can now just put your image (png file) in the Textures folder

I struggle with that, and starting KSP takes 5 minutes so testing is a pain, can you provide an instruction?

@PART[S1_LongFlatFlag|S1_LongFlag|S2_LongFlatFlag|S2_LongFlag|S3_LongFlag|S3_LongFlatFlag]:NEEDS[Decalc'o'mania]
{
  @MODUE[ModulePartVariants]
  {
    VARIANT
    {
      name = custom01
      displayName = #$name$
      themeName = #$name$
      primaryColor = #191970
      secondaryColor = #FFFFFF
      TEXTURE
      {
        mainTextureURL = PATCH_LIB/decalmania/#$name$
      }
    }

VARIANT
    {
      name = custom02
      displayName = #$name$
      themeName = #$name$
      primaryColor = #191970
      secondaryColor = #FFFFFF
      TEXTURE
      {
      }
    }

VARIANT
    {
      name = custom03
      displayName = #$name$
      themeName = #$name$
      primaryColor = #191970
      secondaryColor = #FFFFFF
      TEXTURE
      {
      }
    }

}
}

@PART[S0_Decal|S1_Decal|S2_Decal|S3_Decal|]:NEEDS[Decalc'o'mania]
{
  @MODUE[ModulePartVariants]
  {
    VARIANT
    {
      name = custom01
      displayName = #$name$
      themeName = #$name$
      primaryColor =   #191970
      secondaryColor =  #FFFFFF
      TEXTURE
      {
      }
    }

VARIANT
    {
      name = custom02
      displayName = #$name$
      themeName = #$name$
      primaryColor =   #191970
      TEXTURE
      {
      }
    }

VARIANT
    {
      name = custom03
      displayName = #$name$
      themeName = #$name$
      primaryColor =   #191970
      TEXTURE
      {
      }
    }

}
}

even tried to brute force the patch, but its not showing

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Astronants,

Been using this wonderful mod for the last few days and noticed a small visual bug/incompatibility (I'm running KSP 1.9.1.2788).

When Decalc'o'mania 2.0.2 is installed (along with Community Category Kit) at the same time as Click Through Blocker, KSP displays a small grey square at the bottom right corner of the screen (see screenshot). This is visible all the time, including loading screens and the menu screen.

This visual bug is not apparent when only CCK and Click Through Blocker are installed together or individually. I'm also running the latest versions of Breaking Ground and Making History but I have reproduced this bug with only the stock game installed.

Edited by Elmetian

• 11 months later...

Hi. I don’t know if the mod maker has been online, but I’m having a REALLY hard time getting my textures I’ve made to go into the game. No matter what, it just seems that they won’t show up. Is there anyone who can help?

I have restarted the game after the patch is applied, I’ve restarted again, and again, and still nothing. I’ve gotten it to do it in the past, but it just seems inconsistent 

Update.

for anyone that still uses this mod, I now have a somewhat clearer picture of how it loads your custom textures into the game. 

it’s very confusing, but basically, the (simplified) trick is to install the textures you want to install, load the game, quit the game, and then install a blank texture or some other random texture template. I refer to this as a “Push texture.” The textures you want will then load once you launch the game again. I have no idea why the mod works this way, but that’s my workaround (for now.)

Edited by CollectingSP

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow I just found out people have been trying to use this after all these years. I'm so sorry for not posting an update / being dead, a lot was happening in life back then and i kinda forgot about this account. Just found all my ksp stuff while going through my old computer!

If anyone is still trying to make this mod work, I quickly went through my old code and found the possible culprit.

On 5/12/2021 at 6:50 AM, CollectingSP said:

Update.

for anyone that still uses this mod, I now have a somewhat clearer picture of how it loads your custom textures into the game. 

it’s very confusing, but basically, the (simplified) trick is to install the textures you want to install, load the game, quit the game, and then install a blank texture or some other random texture template. I refer to this as a “Push texture.” The textures you want will then load once you launch the game again. I have no idea why the mod works this way, but that’s my workaround (for now.)

On 5/6/2020 at 7:27 PM, MacLuky said:

I struggle with that, and starting KSP takes 5 minutes so testing is a pain, can you provide an instruction?

even tried to brute force the patch, but its not showing

So for some reasons I had decided to use some sort of cache file which would prevent the patch from ever being written if working incorrectly. This may have been what broke everything.

If you're still encountering issues, try to delete the 'decalco.cache' file. If it's still not working: renaming , adding or deleting a png file should force the plugin to rewrite both patch and cache file. (see @CollectingSP's comment)

If the patch is successfully written, a popup should appear prompting you to close the game and restart it.

For the more tech savvy people out there, compiling your own version of the mod while getting rid the whole 'InstallCheck.cs' file, and putting the compiled .dll directly into the GameData directory might fix the issue with ModuleManager firing before Decalc'o'mania, removing the need to start the game twice.

On 8/26/2023 at 7:05 AM, CanaryLolz said:

Hello. First of all, the mod is great, I have been enjoying it. I really like the dark mode KSP flag. However, are there any limits to the PNGs I can install? Do they have to be of a certain size, or can I use anything?

Heya, the only limit is how long you're wiling to wait for the game to load :D. If i'm not mistaken any size should work. I seem to remember files of similar aspect ratios look about the same, some might be stretched. You can find two files in 'Textures/templates' to help you

As an additional note, textures are sorted in two categories depending on their aspect ratio. A longer height-to-width will apply them to the 'long' decals, a 1:1 ratio is considered wide.

I hope this was useful, thank you all for being in this albeit small part of my life!

• 4 weeks later...

Update on cache mishaps

I decided to take a deeper look. Turns out that ModuleManager's cache can conflict with Decalc'o'mania. If the plugin writes the patch between the time MM checks the files and the time MM writes its cache, MM may save the wrong config / hash combination? This makes KSP loading the correct version unreliable. (I haven't checked MM's source code so this may not be completely accurate, but that's the behaviour I've witnessed)

I'm looking into making Decalc'o'mania more reliable but in the mean time, in addition to deleting Decalc'o'mania 's cache file, I recommend deleting "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" and "ModuleManager.ConfigSHA" files.

13 hours ago, LucalisIndustries said:

what's the difference between this and conformal decals, any advantage?

I'm gonna be completely honest here, there's none.

Decalc'o'mania was my first ever project, made the old fashioned way, back when every decal mod had to use their own parts with fixed geometry. I had plans to make the mod use procedural generation but it would have been too finicky.

The idea came out of a need for a more user friendly way to load custom decals without editing a cfg file, back then I didn't know of any mod that would just load a bunch of textures for you to easily access in the editor. But for personal reasons, along with conformal decals being released I stopped working on it. I recently found out people had still been trying to use it and felt bad about the state I had left it, so that's why I still released an update after all these years.

Now if there was a need for this being compatible with other people's work, I could consider making the plugin work with B9PartSwitch instead or even a standalone module. But I doubt there's any need for that.

But I'm truly grateful it still gets people's interest.