The Dessert Derby 2018

8 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

@TriopI just notice the leaderboard showing my flight time as 14:25 +19:03 = 33:28

My total time from KSC to the start flag was 19:03 including taxi-ing the plane to the flag.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ok, I fixed it.

LOL ! @DaJay42 you are only 13 seconds behind, will you go again and try to beat purpleivan ? :sticktongue:

We have a race guys ! &)

17 minutes ago, Triop said:

Ok, I fixed it.

LOL ! @DaJay42 you are only 13 seconds behind, will you go again and try to beat purpleivan ? :sticktongue:

We have a race guys ! &)

Then I'll need to design something able to land near the start flag to gain some time... where will this all end :D

Edited by purpleivan

Okay done!

Tried my best not to have the Jet turned on while in the air. I think I succeeded fairly well.

The car afterwards. It was prettier. And had more wheels.

yh6nnTo.png

More in spoilers.

Spoiler

Start of Flight. As you can see, its been set to be westward facing on the runway.

hhJFv9S.png

Takeoff! Almost.

BcHnThQ.png

Streaking to the start point.

kxaV6yB.png

Flip to not overshoot

fcGuyVO.png

"Landing"

wjAeQzv.png

Well the cars okay so.... Onwards!

b6701d0.png

That drove to the start point, copied over with coordinated from the original save file.

NRlBFuY.png

Time was divided accidentally because of the lithobraking, so its been rounded from 14:44 to 14:50

Start of the timed drive

zNvzCc0.png

I was a bit busy not crashing at 60 m/s so....... no mid-drive screenshots. things.

End of the timed run

ihq4NAa.png

Flight Time - 14:50

Drive Time - 7:15

Total Time - 22:05

I will note that this was done in 1.3 cause I don't actually have 1.4.5. So...... that may change it slightly? I don't think its that different though to warrant disqualification.

This also took many, many tries. A good hour at least of quicksaves and quickloads.

Even though airdrops have been deemed admissable, this (completely stock) entry still doesn't feel right - you should feel free to disqualify it.

The Eve rover still has about 18 hours left to finish circumnavigating Eve but I started wondering how fast a stripped down version would go. In a test run it made it to the temple in nine minutes flat without using engines (but it was carrying a panther and a full Mk1 fuel tank) and 6:30 by using the panther.

How to fly it there? What better way than using the booster that launched it from Kerbin, transferred to Eve and then did a powered descent into the atmosphere. Not very economical to be sure and still probably not a fast flight. Anyway, it got to an altitude of about 60km before starting the descent then I lost a lot of time by forgetting to reset the deployment height of the chutes but eventually touched down 2.4km from the flag. Full thrust from the panther helped slow the descent at the last. Time to reach the start flag - 14:29.

Although I had made an earlier faster run, this time I made a concerted effort not to have my engine running when airborne and achieved 6:43 and in contrast to the earlier attempt, this time the rover arrived unscathed.

Flight (?) 14:29
Race - 6:43
Total - 21:12

Imgur album - https://imgur.com/a/g4BmI9I

The rover after transferring Jeb to the driver's chair and decoupling his temporary accommodation.

lENkBF7.png

Edited by mystifeid

12 minutes ago, qzgy said:

How hard was it to not break everything?

On Kerbin I have to be pretty reckless (on Eve it's a different story). When I first started building rovers for circumnavigations I noticed that the more wheels they had, the harder they could land. This one has twenty wheels. Usually I get a bad feeling when I go too high but although I took some reasonably big jumps on this run, that didn't happen. On my first powered test run I exploded a couple of wheels just by hitting steep inclination changes too fast (while on the ground) but that doesn't really matter - you can still keep driving it and not really notice anything. It has a very big area, low CoM, two big reaction wheels and is a joy to drive. It's almost impossible to roll on Kerbin.

6 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

On Kerbin I have to be pretty reckless (on Eve it's a different story). When I first started building rovers for circumnavigations I noticed that the more wheels they had, the harder they could land. This one has twenty wheels. Usually I get a bad feeling when I go too high but although I took some reasonably big jumps on this run, that didn't happen. On my first powered test run I exploded a couple of wheels just by hitting steep inclination changes too fast (while on the ground) but that doesn't really matter - you can still keep driving it and not really notice anything. It has a very big area, low CoM, two big reaction wheels and is a joy to drive. It's almost impossible to roll on Kerbin.

Okay. 20 is quite a lot. I'm surprised they didn't break. I personally prefer not to use actual rover wheels since I've always found landing gear typically more reliable. Those last traits, the wide wheel base and low CoM are very handy.

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I personally prefer not to use actual rover wheels since I've always found landing gear typically more reliable

On the long hauls, for me, that tends to mean carrying/mining a lot of fuel. Electric wheels are so much easier even though yeah, they have a nasty habit of exploding. Plus I cheat and use a mouse macro to hold down the forward key.

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

This also took many, many tries. A good hour at least of quicksaves and quickloads.

I was so lucky with my run. In tests it always took a few goes before I had a run that made it to the finish line, but for the real thing I made it on the first attempt, albeit with some costly errors.

Good time BTW.

Edited by purpleivan

@qzgy

I have a bit of a dilema here...The finish flag is near the statue, you technically have about 100 meters more to drive.

ihq4NAa.png

nR0KG8b.png

I'm willing to put up your score if nobody protests, you did do an awesome job. :cool:

Edited by Triop

43 minutes ago, Triop said:

@qzgy

I have a bit of a dilema here...The finish flag is near the statue, you technically have about 100 meters more to drive.

Oh, sorry about that. If you want, you could probably add like ten seconds or something like that if you really have a problem with that. I see you already added it though so I guess dilemma solved?

If I redo this I'll make sure to stop close to the statue. (are we allowed to do multiple submissions?)

9 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Oh, sorry about that. If you want, you could probably add like ten seconds or something like that if you really have a problem with that. I see you already added it though so I guess dilemma solved?

If I redo this I'll make sure to stop close to the statue. (are we allowed to do multiple submissions?)

It's no problem for me if it's not a problem for the other contestants.

For most of us it's all about the experience, not the time.

But as being the host I must also be the judge...:lol:

giphy.gif

And multiple submissions are allowed, you have 28 days left. :ph34r:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.