The Dessert Derby 2018

7 hours ago, mystifeid said:

I got all inspired to try the boost flap controller but the add-on releases thread has been closed (says that BFC is discontinued) and all the links are dead. No more BFC?

So is it still a requirement for engines to be shut down while airborne?

I believe so. In the Dakar rally I couldn't use BFC because my design was weird, so I just set the flaps (or in my case service bay) to toggle on the brake action group and then made sure to hit the brakes as I was leaving the ground and released as I landed.  BFC just made that so much more convenient and ensured you never miss the timing.

5 hours ago, GDJ said:

I PM'd @DoctorDavinci to see how he's doing but no response as of now.

I'd also pm'd him as we were mid conversation about something else, but he's just vanished.

4 hours ago, purpleivan said:

The link put up a few days ago seems to be dead, but based on the BFC thread @katateochi has the latest version.

yeah, I've got the latest release. The BFC thread says it's licence is GPLv3, and my understanding of that is that it permits others to distribute the work.  I don't have the source code, just the compiled end product.  I'd be happy to share the latest release version with my fellow racers,  do you think it would be OK for me to do that? (I'd like a nod from someone who knows, before I put my foot in it!). I wouldn't setup a thread to post it, just respond with a link to anyone who PMs me. 

6 hours ago, katateochi said:

I'd also pm'd him as we were mid conversation about something else, but he's just vanished.

About that, there was a topic about his nephew having a epileptic seizure after seeing a strobo-gif (avatar) on the forum and almost died.

Let's give him a break for a while. -_-

1 minute ago, katateochi said:

props for driving the course at night! I think that should be a bonus category

O no, I'm busy enough with the scoreboard as it is now . . .

;)

But yeah, props for the night rider.

4 hours ago, katateochi said:

I can appreciate that!
And thanks for running these race challenges, The Dakar and this have been really fun.

Thanks, I'm out of likes, again, sorry.    got some &)

Are you up for a polar rally ? :cool:

Edited by Triop

3 hours ago, Triop said:

Are you up for a polar rally ? :cool:

I.....I'm not sure I'm crazy enough. A couple weeks ago I drove about 150km on Mun and that was the longest in-one-sitting drive I've ever done. Never really been tempted by the idea of a long haul......that being said, the one thing I've not tested on ExplorerX is how far it can go on 1 tank of gas.  This might be the opportunity to test that! I see you're driving a solar powered rover, if we used an LF/O-fuelcell powered rover could we airdrop fuel when needed or setup gas stations along the way?

21 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I.....I'm not sure I'm crazy enough.

Well, you don't have to do it nonstop, you can drive for a bit, stop, and go back to the space center and return later. (no quicksave)

But it is pretty cool to do it in one go if you have the time. :cool:

21 minutes ago, katateochi said:

if we used an LF/O-fuelcell powered rover could we airdrop fuel when needed or setup gas stations along the way?

Yes, I'm all for that.

It doesn't have to be only solar powered.

But remember, your time starts as soon as you start a new game, so you have to strategically time placing your fueltanks.

* EDIT: It is the fastest option, I'm doing this solar and lose 2-4 hours a day waiting to recharge batteries, in that time it would be possible to drop fuel on multiple waypoints without losing time against solar drivers

For more info:

Edited by Triop

Not long ago I circumnavigated Kerbin (mainly by land). I started from the Dessert launch site, went south to the south pole then north to the north pole and then finally south again back to the start. Several small water crossings were made and my route was as circular and direct as I could make it. Both on land and on the water I tried to maintain 40-50m/s but in some places this was not possible. I'm pretty sure this took me in excess of thirty hours so going from one pole to another took me at least fifteen hours. But I was just trying to make it - forget about speed. Let's say you go twice as fast or even four times as fast and that's still a significant chunk of time for one sitting. Hoping you don't make a mistake and wreck your over.

Are you even allowed to cross water?

17 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

Are you even allowed to cross water?

I assume you are talking about the Pole2Pole challenge (that is under construction)

This is no circumnavigation, well, half it is.... ^_^

mfha7FS.jpg

No serious water needs crossing...:lol:

I decided to take a break from my first ever (career) game in ksp and startet my first ever sandbox game to copy this save file into....

...so many firsts...

- first ever sandbox game
- first ever challenge to take on
- first ever cargo plane to transport a rover
- first ever rover delivered by cargo plane :confused:

I am very pleased with the result :D

EvPXCas.png

xxhLo0z.png

sMqqgbi.png

usc5gqI.png

Edit: Just saw I had MET on on the landing shot...sorry about that, just write "ridiculously long anyway" :/

Edited by Stunkfish

On 9/8/2018 at 6:22 PM, Triop said:

I think you mean 38:10 . . .:lol:

giphy.gif

Oops...

On 8/31/2018 at 4:13 PM, Triop said:

7. MjP1050 Time: 14:23

8. DaJay42 Time: 14:46

9. dundun93 Time 14:54

Wait, you are telling me that if I arrived just TEN SECONDS EARLIER. I could of been on 7???:huh::mad:

On 9/10/2018 at 10:13 AM, Stunkfish said:

- first ever sandbox game
- first ever challenge to take on
- first ever cargo plane to transport a rover
- first ever rover delivered by cargo plane 

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

16 hours ago, Triop said:

Sure.

@Stunkfish Nice !

I just can't figure out your time....

Well, I can only figure out my time for the rover race part.

02:04:00 until 02:26:02 = 22min02sec

The flight time is lost, as the one pic is on MET....I would have to fly again and take a new time :/

Can I get a rating for only the ground part? (kind of like....begging....hrhr)

I've started testing my rocket car. I warped it over to the desert airfield today and did a trial run of the course.

NRyQg3N.png

kAsIeYx.png

The test was very informative, as I learned that the Rocket Racer has a huge over steering problem, and that it has great potential, having traversed over half the course in about 4 minutes despite several spin-outs. I've recovered the crew, but decided to leave the vehicle were it crashed.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, dundun93 said:

ART-1

FLIGHT TIME: 23:16

DRIVING TIME: 14:54

TOTAL TIME: 38:10

6PzyvGLgM9P07GEQr0SCUjNCtldGRCR7BV_odGy3

VIDEO UPON ARRIVAL

Picture Timeline:

On takeoff...                                                                                                                            Just landed......

1h0hI1fG3bFpPs_XFLs92JFhvGha3tTXcJugRB3TbmBTVzPk49S73axA8j8CVdCC-ISELiQUPJffDX1v

Rover departs...                                                                                                                                            Rover finishing...

MtZSwj6vEAXXikagDCjFAWu_nPZ32cbJcHu0fm4ElNayfNlMa8QVKSDhiXNRq0-bcXbF2-feyOdhwm70

ALRIGHT ! The ART-2 has come out and cuts 10 minutes of time!

ART-2

FLIGHT TIME: 23:16  NOW 13.52

DRIVING TIME: 14:54  NOW 8.94

TOTAL TIME: 38:10 NOW 22.46

A85X8B1XGRur4XVFGBHhQU18IP_jD5hxqw5G2vmEeLXaHAjFD6jCtyP48IQSLsUEo8a2CGxmIhm_SA0xw0jZVVNlSmh0egFbdyHzE6LvoMAI4av1wcwKsmUDuTGzHRrgGfHnPjtELyP11V4nn2b-AO3Zb3dBRhV3ilGogHKNrLpehhBznhfwym6sCuM1pKwxNErcJdIPlioCU7FiIu-7OVNlSmh0egFbdyHzE6LvoMAI4av1wcwKsmUDuTGzHRrg
s7_532TjXegpNDhlMQIQTyKctWNzbR9btlxrLZZgxoVtgzpbmMRDTSied1q2iur5zvfkeR1pXLvLHAo9nQo_hlNlSmh0egFbdyHzE6LvoMAI4av1wcwKsmUDuTGzHRrg
MbZunhZh5j0byMOgrtDUG7EXyAvidk1hUR0crSNwosrbMnE2yJmJmT8ikBxc1wb82zidPaLkuWSqvccB8zFMGlNlSmh0egFbdyHzE6LvoMAI4av1wcwKsmUDuTGzHRrg

6 hours ago, roboslacker said:

but decided to leave the vehicle were it crashed.

"A permanent landmark that will forever slow down his game"

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.