Finally!

SpaceFruit

Hi!

I'm playing KSP with my friends for a long time now, and now that I finally got a decent PC I decided to register to the forums and purchase my own copy!

It's nice to see such a big community!

On another topic, I searched and found some threads on it, but didn't find any recent ones.  So, I want to buy the game and can't decide from where, the website or a steam key. currently I can get a steam key from HumbleBundle for around 20$, when on the official store it's 40$. Are there any main advantages when buying from the store? Thanks!

Steam has auto-updates which sometimes cause trouble for people using modded versions, because then their game copy might not work with mods which haven't updated. I don't know how that works with Humble Bundle. But one nice thing about the store is that you download new copies or update when you choose to do so. Anyway, I bought from the store and it's always worked well for me. (But then, that was the ONLY way to get KSP back then. :) ) 

Welcome to the forum. 

Welcome to the forum :)

@Vanamonde is totally right on the auto update feature of steam and it can be annoying BUT as far as I know, steam provides the only possible way to get older versions of the game.

To prevent auto updates of steam from ruining your modded game, all you have to do is to rename/move your KSP install directory so steam is no longer aware of the game. You can even add this copy of KSP to your library as a 'third party game' and you will still be able to launch it through steam without any auto updates.

In my opinion, steam is more flexible in handling game versions and you don't have to keep a copy of every game version, just in case you want to go back.

Thanks y'all!

So, basically the only advantage/disadvantage from steam is the auto updates? It seems fine, just that I don't have much love for steam, but if I can just create a copy on my desktop and play from there, it's fine.

And @Vanamonde HumbleBundle just provides a steam key! It's usually 40$ there too, but it's currently on sale.

Welcome to the community @SpaceFruit.  Have fun, share your experiences, and keep asking those questions.

So long as you're PC-savvy enough to copy files/folders and unzip zip files, then you should have no problem managing your own KSP and mod installs.