Part Carryover and the Revamp

Please for the next set of part revamps could squad avoid creating part duplicates with intent to eventually remove and instead simply update the info for parts to maintain craft compatibility. Several months on and I am still digging up craft and rebuilding from the ground up so they won't be lost forever. 
Old craft hold a lot of sentimental value for many people.

Just now, Spartwo said:

Please for the next set of part revamps could squad avoid creating part duplicates with intent to eventually remove and instead simply update the info for parts to maintain craft compatibility. Several months on and I am still digging up craft and rebuilding from the ground up so they won't be lost forever. 
Old craft hold a lot of sentimental value for many people.

this tbh

I second this, unless squad has definite plans to permanently keep the old parts in game (which wouldnt be unwelcome, afterall the oil tanks make much prettier refineries, at least for ground bases, then the new revamped 2.5m trashcans), i strongly urge to replace the older parts (or at least include a sort of autoreplace feature that will allow one to replace all old instances with new part names while keeping craft largely intact even if a few things would need to be shifted around (as in case of geometry changes).

Still, things like probe cores really shouldnt have duplicates, theres no reason for it.  Having a few styles of the same fuel tank is nice (albeit the current mk1 fuel tanks are so ugly i wont use em even for oil refineries), but even that isnt quite necessary since all it does is increase load times/resource use and clutter up the part lists.

• 1 month later...

If you look at the release, a lot of things were replaced outright. The ones that weren't, changed too much and would have broken saves if the changes had been propagated to existing craft.

The HECS was rotated 30 degrees and thus its control point would be screwed up for any existing ship that got the upgrade passed.

The Mk1 pod and stayputnik had geometry changes put through.

The RoveMate had nodes added and was rotated 90 degrees. 

However, many things were indeed updated in place, and not deprecated.

Panels, the HECS-II, all the Mk1 tanks, some of the other probe cores.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:15 PM, Spartwo said:

Well this was pretty much ignored. I'm done.

New suggestion. Just stop 'developing' the game, as in replacing what exists with varying degrees of better and worse.

Yeah, SQUAD, what were you thinking? Continueing to develop and improve a game instead of just letting it die. How dare you?!

8 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

Yeah, SQUAD, what were you thinking? Continueing to develop and improve a game instead of just letting it die. How dare you?!

Every update is a gutpunch to modders who have done a better job improving the game than the developers for the last half decade. You can tell this because they keep hiring modders to put their mods in the base game and burning them out in the process.

20 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Every update is a gutpunch to modders who have done a better job improving the game than the developers for the last half decade. You can tell this because they keep hiring modders to put their mods in the base game and burning them out in the process.

You cannot expect a company to just stop working on a game so that the modders have an easier time. 

I understand modders are a huge part of KSP's community, but solely relying on them to update the game is a bad thing. Why? Because every player, old and new, would have to download every single mod each time they install the game in order to fix all the bugs. That's terribly unfriendly to players, and players are a lot more important to developers than modders.

I can also guarentee you that SQUAD would get a lot more flak for abandoning the game and letting modders take care of it. 

You should be glad that SQUAD continues to support this game and update it regurarly, there are dozens of examples of devs neglecting a game. Complaining about such a trivial issue is, frankly, stupid.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.