Stand Alone Map View - Multi monitor KSP [1.4.x]

Unit327

Hey there, I really appreciate the work you've put into this mod! I'm having some issues though. My computer is dual monitored and definitely meets the minimum specs. I went through all the steps of having two installs, stripping down the map view install to keep the same mods affecting orbits and such, but when I have both instances open, the map view instance isn't connecting to my main game.

Is there a certain step I'm missing here?

No steps missing. For an otherwise stock version of KSP it should be a simple matter of installing samv-server on one and samv-client on the other then starting them both up. Don't forget to launch a vessel and fly it to the karmin line to check, just sitting in the space center might not do much.

If that doesn't work, try this (in order or least to most desperation):

1. Restart the map view several times
  2. check any firewall settings (samv uses both tcp and udp, ports configurable in the settings files)
  3. try editing the settings (saves/samv_server.cfg | saves/samv_client.cfg) to point to "127.0.0.1" instead of "localhost" (reason)
  4. if that doesn't work, send me the logs

Sending the logs (Player.log) might be tricky, as I want both the server and client logs, but they trample on each other and you only end up with one of them. On linux I've worked around this by setting $XDG_CONFIG_HOME differently for the client than for the server. Not sure how you'd get KSP to write to a different log file on other OSes though.

So this is awesome!

I'm also struggling with stripping down my map view. I deleted everything from the Squad/Parts folder except Mk1-3Pod and it failed to load when it got to the IVA's - so I deleted everything in Spaces except for the Mk1-3 pod and shared assets - still failed to load. Would someone who has got it working be able to share what needs to stay to make it load?

Also a tip for other people - mods that effect the map view (in my case: BetterBurnTime, Maneuver Node Evolved and Trajectories) need to stay in the client too - although I tried it fully stock yesterday, and I am fully expecting BBT and Trajectories to not work, as my understanding is that the client creates a dummy vessel, so the predictions are going to be wrong.

On 9/9/2018 at 12:31 AM, severedsolo said:

So this is awesome!

I'm also struggling with stripping down my map view. I deleted everything from the Squad/Parts folder except Mk1-3Pod and it failed to load when it got to the IVA's - so I deleted everything in Spaces except for the Mk1-3 pod and shared assets - still failed to load. Would someone who has got it working be able to share what needs to stay to make it load?

Also a tip for other people - mods that effect the map view (in my case: BetterBurnTime, Maneuver Node Evolved and Trajectories) need to stay in the client too - although I tried it fully stock yesterday, and I am fully expecting BBT and Trajectories to not work, as my understanding is that the client creates a dummy vessel, so the predictions are going to be wrong.

I had the same issue on Windows with the strip-down. I ended up putting it all back until I have more time to mess with it.

On 9/8/2018 at 7:30 PM, EthynWithAY said:

Hey there, I really appreciate the work you've put into this mod! I'm having some issues though. My computer is dual monitored and definitely meets the minimum specs. I went through all the steps of having two installs, stripping down the map view install to keep the same mods affecting orbits and such, but when I have both instances open, the map view instance isn't connecting to my main game.

Is there a certain step I'm missing here?

Make sure you don't load your save in the main instance before you start the secondary instance. Start both games, leave the main one at the main menu. AFTER the map view loads on the second one, load your save.

16 hours ago, MaianTrey said:

Make sure you don't load your save in the main instance before you start the secondary instance. Start both games, leave the main one at the main menu. AFTER the map view loads on the second one, load your save.

This should not be necessary, unless there is a bug I don't know about. Connection and syncing vessels happens independently of loading the game.

I've only tried to use it twice (haven't played much KSP the last few days). The first time, it wouldn't connect - the map view stayed blank. The second time, I made sure both were up before loading my save, and it worked just fine. I assumed that was the issue, but if you're saying it's not, then I may have been unlucky.

The port in the settings was listed as 'localhost' and I changed it to 127.0.0.1 between my two attempts. That may have also been unnecessary, but at the time I figured I'd try it just in case.

For those wanting to prune down a stock install for minimal disk and memory usage on the 2nd instance of KSP,  you can delete ALL folders/files in the /Parts folder, EXCEPT the /Prebuilt folder.

I havent fully tested it, but the game does load, and the tracking station view does work.

I trimmed out a few other things as well as most of the /Parts folder, and KSP folder size went from 2.02GB to 1.58GB...

RAM usage was a hair below 2GB... 1950~2000MB...

EDIT: Not sure if there are any negative effects combining using 64bit KSP for the main game, and 32bit KSP for the 2nd instance, but I see an additional ~300MB RAM savings running a 32bit instance... (1650~1700MB) This was tested on my main KSP computer, which I play 64bit heavily modded on.

I "almost" got this trimmed 32bit install to load on my old Lenovo Lynx tablet with an Atom processor... It only has 1.9GB usable RAM, with Win8.1 using 0.6GB, I "just" ran out of RAM, and the game crashed right when the main menu started to load... :(

Edited by Stone Blue

• 4 months later...

Great mod! Thank you very much for it. For me, the change to "127.0.0.1" from "localhost" also did the trick.

Got it successfully running on my vanilla-playthrough.

Any chance this could play nice with Principia? I am aware it modifies parts of the game quite drastically, so I am not expecting a positive answer, but one can hope. :)

Server and Client sync is working, but the client trajectory is the stock one. Principia does not get used, even though it is in the GameData folder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.