HELP! Unable to play the game at all.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Every time I try to launch kerbal space program I can't select anything on the main menu because the make history expansion window is oversized and blocking everything.  I can't move around the window nor are the buttons to close it on the screen.  I don't want to have to buy the expansion just to play the game.  Thanks

Try changing the game to launch in windowed mode and then lower the resolution... hopefully the banner will stick out and you can close it. 

You will have to find a way of altering the launch settings somewhere in the game files though. 

17 hours ago, goldanian said:

Every time I try to launch kerbal space program I can't select anything on the main menu because the make history expansion window is oversized and blocking everything.  I can't move around the window nor are the buttons to close it on the screen.  I don't want to have to buy the expansion just to play the game.  Thanks

Before starting KSP again, do the following:

In the main KSP folder, open the file 'settings.cfg' in a text editor, search for the following line and change 'True' to 'False' and save it.

MISSION_SHOW_EXPANSION_INFO = True

The expansion dialog will no longer show when the game loads.

This is assuming a Windows platform - on Linux and MacOS the settings file is named/located elsewhere, but the entry to change is the same.

Edited by swjr-swis
flip

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

Before starting KSP again, do the following:

WARNING!  If you make a mistake doing this, there's a likelihood you'll have to reinstall the game.  Since (presumably) you haven't been able to do anything and don't have any save files yet, all that will cost you is a few minutes to reinstall -- but it's something to be aware of.  If you have actually started a game, you should make a copy of your "saves" folder before you edit the settings.cfg.

BTW, FWIW, in a Linux install (I play on Ubuntu MATE 16.04 at present), the name and location of this file is the same as in Windows -- likely the case for MacOS as well.

5 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

WARNING!  If you make a mistake doing this, there's a likelihood you'll have to reinstall the game.  Since (presumably) you haven't been able to do anything and don't have any save files yet, all that will cost you is a few minutes to reinstall -- but it's something to be aware of.  If you have actually started a game, you should make a copy of your "saves" folder before you edit the settings.cfg.

BTW, FWIW, in a Linux install (I play on Ubuntu MATE 16.04 at present), the name and location of this file is the same as in Windows -- likely the case for MacOS as well.

Actually, if you make a mistake, all you need to do is delete the settings file and restart the game, it gets created if it ins't there

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually, if you make a mistake, all you need to do is delete the settings file and restart the game, it gets created if it ins't there

Still not a bad idea to make a copy of the "saves" folder -- alter or delete the wrong file, and you're back to reinstalling.  And don't say it won't happen; I've been using PCs since 1987 (1986 if you count non-DOS/Windows/Linux systems) and I last deleted the wrong file just a few months ago.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Oh, Squad.  You never cease to amuse.  This should probably go in the bug tracker.  Maybe it will get sorted out in 1.5.

Issue created here:  https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19973

1 minute ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Still not a bad idea to make a copy of the "saves" folder -- alter or delete the wrong file, and you're back to reinstalling.  And don't say it won't happen; I've been using PCs since 1987 (1986 if you count non-DOS/Windows/Linux systems) and I last deleted the wrong file just a few months ago.

Yes, except in this particular case, there are no saves since he couldn't even play the game 

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes, except in this particular case, there are no saves since he couldn't even play the game 

I covered that in my original post suggesting backing up.  This might have occurred after an upgrade (OP didn't say), in which case there could be saved games to preserve.

EDIT: And in any case, I forgot to suggest that the OP should also copy the "screenshots" and "Ships" folders if this is an upgrade.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

On 9/3/2018 at 10:53 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

In general, when doing a backup before an upgrade, the entire KSP directory should be copied.  Copying parts will only lead to problems.

Right.  Though one wonders what'll be gained by installing fresh, and restoring the backup of the entire broken copy over the fresh one...  :rolleyes:

Okay, I'm being obtuse, but generally, if you need to install clean and have things you want to save from the old install, you will absolutely need to copy portions of the install -- generally, saves, screenshots (though those needn't and, one could argue shouldn't go into the new install, they might need to be saved), ships (if not included in a save), etc.

2 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Right.  Though one wonders what'll be gained by installing fresh, and restoring the backup of the entire broken copy over the fresh one...  :rolleyes:

Okay, I'm being obtuse, but generally, if you need to install clean and have things you want to save from the old install, you will absolutely need to copy portions of the install -- generally, saves, screenshots (though those needn't and, one could argue shouldn't go into the new install, they might need to be saved), ships (if not included in a save), etc.

You start by backing up the entire folder. That way whenever you bite need will be available. If you only backup parts of Aqaba you might miss something that you will need.

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You start by backing up the entire folder. That way whenever you bite need will be available. If you only backup parts of Aqaba you might miss something that you will need.

Yep.  That's the easy way, anyway.  On  most modern systems, you can copy the whole KSP folder to another location on the same physical drive in a minute or two.  On older systems, you probably aren't playing KSP anyway...  ;.;

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.