Pole2Pole

Triop

4 minutes ago, Triop said:

Nope, I'm not getting the buggy back, it will remain there forever as a monument.

(maybe Jeb will come back to it someday, to drive to the Northpole, who knows.....:ph34r:)

That's a fantastic idea.  I've often made 2-stage landers, even if the lower stage is just framework and legs, to leave a memorial marker.

4 minutes ago, Triop said:
8 hours ago, Jacke said:

Drive from KSC to the North Pole.  Drive to the South Pole.  Drive back to KSC.

Somewhere around 3 times the length of what Triop is about to complete.

You are even more mad then I am... :confused:

It's those Mountains, you know.  Don't call them the Mountains of Madness for nothing. :)

Of course, it's one thing to contemplate madness.  It's another thing to enter into it.  I think I'll stick to common garden madness for now.

Day 16.

I've predicted somewere in this thread that we may run out of sunlight at the Southpole.

I hate it when I'm right... <_<

Out here the sun barely comes up, I'm literly crawling the last kilometers. :lol:

oDRoM7W.png

Y1VYvkJ.png

mFDmNEF.png

TBC :ph34r:

Edited by Triop

"Deep in Antarctic latitudes, Jebediah Kerman pressed on, so close to his goal of the Pole.  The battered brave Black Night had crunched on across the ice.  But Kerbol barely broke from the horizon, the light was weak, and what there was of the day dawned dismal.  Jeb scraped ice from the inside of the windshield.  All the perils he had faced, would they be for naught?  Would this frozen sunless plain be his undoing?

"As the battery gave up its final cha--what?  Here comes the what?!?  Bloody inconsiderate!?!

"Ahem...As the battery came so near to exhaustion, the few remaining solar panels facing towards Kerbol managed to squeeze out a few more volts.  The charge slowly rose and with it Jeb's spirits.  One day more.  Just like when he was on the barricades during the '32!  Allons-y!"

Spoiler

I'm not taking any risks, I'm squeezing that hot yellow ball untill he is gone. :cool:

IbFKy31.png

Day 17.

We squeezed enough to make it to the finish, I hope . . .

LD9UJ0X.png

Next up, some private time with Val placing the finishflag that will record my total time.

And then maybe...:ph34r:

Ok, everybody has to get home to succesfully end this mission, so . . .

UzcTIc1.png

Goodbye Southpole

vUhf2we.png

Hello KFC KPH homebase ! :lol:

I'm choosing to land coming over land, I hate coming in over water, gives me the creeps. :unsure:

oqgv9Vr.png

Landing:

9Y7phuC.png

sYmU85L.png

That's it, no more adventures, we got Jeb home.

U7ABdEA.png

k3jTxxA.png

I'm kinda sad it's over. I really enjoyed doing this.

Thank you all for the support, I've couldn't have done it without you. ^_^

giphy-downsized-large.gif

TBC ???

:ph34r:

Edited by Triop

17 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I know you're not going to do it again, but if you were going to do it again, what would you do differently?

I'll take this as a serious question.

- Maybe bring a instrument that shows me what biome I'm in (the first buggy had that).

- use the TR-2L wheels.

- take more screenshots from the F-3 information, I allways forgot doing that.

I'm still planning on analyzing the data I've collected for a final technical report, so . . .

TBC :ph34r:

Edited by Triop

As Jebediah looked out across the vast, frozen expanse from the comfort of his seat, now high above the ground, a feeling of sadness interjected itself as his eyes picked out a tiny figure alone on the featureless landscape. He contemplated what they had accomplished together, and that now it was finally all over. He had been longing for this moment, but he couldn't shake the feeling that he had left a friend down there in the cold wastes far below. 

Was it just his imagination, or could he hear his trusty Black Night calling to him far behind on the surface as they were racing along, leaving it to the mercy of the elements? 

"Oh I see, running away eh? The black knight always triumphs! Come back here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!" 

(Oh, and congratulations on a wonderful mission! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...