Pole2Pole

Triop

29 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Have you got a mod that draws the path you've taken....or have you just drawn those on by hand?

No mods here, just navigating using the navball and a map of Kerbin.

"That must be the greatest pirate you've ever seen"

giphy.gif

He is just being modest, I am great.

It's all drawn in MS Paint.

giphy.gif

Edited by Triop

11 hours ago, Triop said:

Would you be prepared to do it like me ?

Pure vanilla, without quicksaving (I can never check if somebody would quicksave, that is why I allow to fly in a new buggy unless your kerbal is death)

I will allow Fueled engines and refueling them.

But seriously, you think people would go that far ?

I guess if this becomes a challenge I'd split it up into vanilla and modded.

Everybody's feedback is welcome.

I really don't like playing completely unmodded KSP.

If this was absolutely unmodded, I'd likely completely skip aircraft, as I'm more likely to perform well with a slightly overengined rocket delivery.  No aircraft primarily from not having NavUtilities (and RPM to display it) and either Kerbal Flight Indicators or NavHud.  The rest I could likely pull off; aircraft autopilots are nice but I've use pitch trim (including on a boost-glide rocket :)).  If it had to be crafts all made in unmodded KSP, that's extra irritating (no Editor Extensions, RCS Balance Aid, Action Group ReExtended, engineer mods to give more info, etc.).

Beside the ones I've already mentioned, I use mods that affect peripheral stuff (better naming of screenshots, bug fixes, etc.).   More important is the editors and space missions, having delta-V and other info as well as make it easier to craft rockets and spaceships.  Like , etc.  And then there's the audio-visual improvements and stuff like RPM.  All those don't really affect the tasks in this as a challenge.

Meanwhile, back with Jeb...

"And just when he thought things would improve...almost certain dire peril!"

Spoiler
9 hours ago, Triop said:

ttUFotp.png

"And now as we mourn Jebediah Kerman, struck down in the prime of life, one of Kerbin's shining st--what?  ....  He lived!?!  ....  Damn, ah, uh...."

Spoiler

N3N2zIu.png

"And now as we celebrate the majesty of Jebediah Kerman, who conquers yet another...majestic landscape, we wonder if he may yet met his match...."

Spoiler
7 hours ago, Triop said:

Upcoming route:

WPdOpbA.png

TBC :ph34r:

Is that a FJORD I see? :)  Perhaps soon you'll be pining for the fjords. :D

"Has Jebediah Kerman finally met his match?  Tune in next time to see the exciting conclusion!"

Edited by Jacke

30 minutes ago, Triop said:

The graphics are fine now, but checkpoint 24 is gone (?)

That's happened to me a time or two as well. In my case, as I neared a flag on Mun, it suddenly just fell through the ground and was destroyed. The kerbals shared a moment of silence for the loss, then continued screaming. Ya know. The usual.

28 minutes ago, Dark Lion said:

it suddenly just fell through the ground and was destroyed.

Yeah, I've seen that happen to :blink:

26 minutes ago, Deddly said:

This is why we use quicksaves ;)

Count me out please, I never use quicksave.

If I did I wouldn't still be playing KSP anymore because of boredom.

I like to push myself, mission failes ? Bad luck, try again.

Besides, why would I drive pole2pole when I know nothing can go wrong because I quicksaved ?

As I found out almost all contestants in the Dessert Derby used quicksave....For a 22 km "long" race ! <_<

I'm almost wishing for a crash, flying a new buggy to Jeb would be a nice break from driving :lol:

For your defence, I do understand you quicksave because of bugs, that I can totally understand.

Edit: I made a topic about it.

Edited by Triop

You are getting close!  I don't have this kind of time (or patience) but you inspired me to try something on a smaller scale. I mission buildered myself to Gilly and managed to drive a quarter of the way around that.  I was using a rocket powered rover and the challenge, of course, was to keep it on the ground. It is quite hard.  I don't know if a fueled full circumnavigation is possible, but if I find some time, I may give it a more serious go.

41 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

You are getting close!  I don't have this kind of time (or patience) but you inspired me to try something on a smaller scale. I mission buildered myself to Gilly and managed to drive a quarter of the way around that.  I was using a rocket powered rover and the challenge, of course, was to keep it on the ground. It is quite hard.  I don't know if a fueled full circumnavigation is possible, but if I find some time, I may give it a more serious go.

Does this turn into a very low orbit quite quickly?  I would probably get impatient about a third of the way through and speed up to orbital velocity, thinking that the fastest way to go around is to go around low and fast.  And then misjudge rising terrain like I did recently on the Mun with poor Jeb on a high velocity EVA. 

We'll all miss Jeb.  The memorial is next Tuesday, we couldn't find enough pieces to have a burial.